David Byrne says he "had Asperger's"

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 1:00 am

Heh, I'd have never suspected it.

However, I've been told he's an as*hole.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 1:45 am

jelibean wrote:
:D Once HAD Aspergers but grew out of it?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!! !! !!

Poor lamb, no one told him once an aspie always an aspie!! Priceless! Bless :wink:

Don't be so ignorant. Many of us older people who were diagnosed late(r) in life have found rather sucessful methods of overcoming the Asperger's shortcomings without the aid or support of anyone person or organization. So much so in fact that we barely register on the spectrum at all anymore.
So yes, one CAN grow out of it (or at least adapt).
And NO, one doesn't need to suffer from Asperger's for life.

suburban-robot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2009, 7:56 am

Thinking of his lyrics and the jerky angular dancing, it makes sense.

The Mark Motherbaugh idea has crossed my mind before, though I haven't actually heard anything on it.

I've been wanting to watch 'True Stories' for a while too, I like the snippets of conversation inbetween Talking Heads 'Storytelling Giant', I guess it's like a longer version of that.

Raskle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2009, 9:03 am

Come on, there's no way he has AS. No person with AS would ever wear a stupid looking suit like the one he's wearing in the interview.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2009, 8:37 am

I very much doubt he has AS, I think he's just saying that because he thinks it'll win him credibility points (and I quite like Talking Heads, so I'm not biased in that respect). If he genuinely did have AS I think it would have lead to problems maintaining a career in the music industry (what with all the touring, constant changes in routine, and having to interact with strangers who only know you from your music on a daily basis).

Look at what happened to Craig Nicholls from the Vines - he had a breakdown and had to cancel the Vines' last tour because his AS made it impossible to cope. Gary Numan (who's also been diagnosed with AS) has taken long sabbaticals from performing which I suspect are related to his condition too.

Last edited by Locustman on 07 Jul 2009, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2009, 11:58 pm

Locustman wrote:
I very much doubt he has AS, I think he's just saying that because he thinks it'll wim him credibility points (and I quite like Talking Heads, so I'm not biased in that respect). if he genuinely did have AS I think it would have lead to problems maintaining a career in the music industry (what with all the touring, constant changes in routine, and having to interact with strangers who only know you from your music on a daily basis).

Look at what happened to Craig Nicholls from the Vines - he had a breakdown and had to cancel an entire tour because his AS made it impossible to cope. Gary Numan (who's also been diagnosed with AS) has taken long sabbaticals from performing which I suspect are related to his condition too.

Not everyone with AS is exactly the same. Maybe Byrne's drive, talent and need to be heard is far greater than either Nicholls or Numan or both combined? He's got himself to a place where his AS doesn't affect him negatively so can discard it. The man is an inspiration, he's carved a place for himself in life and makes a good living doing what he loves, if his story can give even one other aspie the confidence or belief they need to do the same that's got to be a good thing no?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 7:10 am

yeah maybe he had wealthy parents or some other kind of 'fallback' thing to cushion him.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 12:34 pm

Locustman wrote:
I very much doubt he has AS, I think he's just saying that because he thinks it'll win him credibility points (and I quite like Talking Heads, so I'm not biased in that respect). If he genuinely did have AS I think it would have lead to problems maintaining a career in the music industry (what with all the touring, constant changes in routine, and having to interact with strangers who only know you from your music on a daily basis).

Look at what happened to Craig Nicholls from the Vines - he had a breakdown and had to cancel the Vines' last tour because his AS made it impossible to cope. Gary Numan (who's also been diagnosed with AS) has taken long sabbaticals from performing which I suspect are related to his condition too.

I disagree, he is an Aspie, have a look at this ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-mxVxFXLg[/youtube]

theOtherSide
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2009, 5:05 am

Raskle wrote:
Come on, there's no way he has AS. No person with AS would ever wear a stupid looking suit like the one he's wearing in the interview.

:lol:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 2:12 pm

I think many, many creative people are AS. My son is currently doing an acting day camp, and of 15 participants, we know he is AS and another child is full on autistic. 2 out of 15, and that is only what we've got clear knowledge of. Quite a lot of AS are drawn to various arts, and are very good at them. Things with my son are just different when he's acting; so much of what impairs him isn't there in that venue. Wierd, but its the way it is.

Raskle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2009, 2:48 pm

I hope I'm not the only person who has realised the interview is a performance, and not spontaneous. It is theater. And pretty damned amusing. I just can't get over that suit, I want one too. Imagine walking down the street in that thing?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 7:34 am

I've been following David Byrne's blog for years (and a fan of his music since the 70's) so this revelation is old news. He put it in his blog back in 2006.

http://journal.davidbyrne.com/

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2009, 8:21 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think many, many creative people are AS. My son is currently doing an acting day camp, and of 15 participants, we know he is AS and another child is full on autistic. 2 out of 15, and that is only what we've got clear knowledge of. Quite a lot of AS are drawn to various arts, and are very good at them. Things with my son are just different when he's acting; so much of what impairs him isn't there in that venue. Wierd, but its the way it is.

Sure, to a degree I can understand that - I play music myself and AS doesn't seem to impoact my ability to perform in front of people (although sadly it has affected my relationships with other bandmates at times).

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2009, 8:24 am

Raskle wrote:
I hope I'm not the only person who has realised the interview is a performance, and not spontaneous. It is theater. And pretty damned amusing. I just can't get over that suit, I want one too. Imagine walking down the street in that thing?

That's what I think - although what he said about liking everything to be symmetrical did go some way to convince me his AS might be genuine (obsession with symmetry is one of my aspie traits too). But if he does have AS, he must definitely be at the higher functioning end of the scale, because he always seems to be aware of his quirkiness - his eccentricity sometimes comes across as studied, whereas from the footage I've seen of Craig Nicholls performing, he seems to have meltdowns where he genuinely loses control over his behaviour.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2009, 8:29 am

Janissy wrote:
I've been following David Byrne's blog for years (and a fan of his music since the 70's) so this revelation is old news. He put it in his blog back in 2006.

Sure, I like his music too - better than that of the Vines or Gary Numan, in fact. Although I'm not sure if I own enough of his albums to call myself a fan, I do really like "Remain in Light", and the "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" collaboration that he did with Brian Eno - that was such an obvious precursor to a lot of the electronica I liked in the early 90s that my jaw dropped when I was told it had been recorded ten years before. His Luaka Bop label has put out loads of cool Latin American music as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to read that whole blog as I'm on my lunchbreak at work, but does it mention whether or not he had an independent diagnosis, or whether he's self-diagnosed?

Last edited by Locustman on 09 Jul 2009, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 8:35 am

Locustman wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Sure, I like his music too - better than that of the Vines or Gary Numan, in fact. Although I'm not sure if I own enough of his albums to call myself a fan, I do really like "Remain in Light", and the "My Life in the Buish of Ghosts" collaboration that he did with Brian Eno - that was such an obvious precursor to a lot of the electronica I liked in the early 90s that my jaw dropped when I was told it had been recorded ten years before. His Luaka Bop label has put out loads of cool Latin American music as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to read that whole blog as I'm on my lunchbreak at work, but does it mention whether or not he had an independent diagnosis, or whether he's self-diagnosed?

In his blog he says "most likely" Asperger's. That makes it sound self-diagnosed to me.