Famous people with asperger's - Where's a list of them?

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 4:10 pm

Both Clark Gable and Howard Huges have been quoted as saying that they thought Marilyn had 'autistic' characteristics but who knows.

08 Jan 2009, 4:11 pm

I read on IMDB that Daryl Hannah was diagnosed as autistic because she was very shy. Makes me question about if she really is on the spectrum or not. I'm probably being a hypocrite because I am doubting someones condition.

Shy children can seem like they have it because they avoid social situations, they don't want to go to parties, they aren't interested in having friends, they might not talk to people. I read a boo by Ann M martin called Stage Fright and the main character in it was extremely shy. She didn't like going to birthday parties, being in the center of attention, she felt uncomfortable around people and she didn't want to have friends. She avoided her peers. She did have one friend and that was it. She didn't want anymore or want to have anything to do with other kids. I felt mad that her mother kept trying to push her to go to parties and have new friends. So at the end, the girl made a point. How would she like it if her dad tried to make her do something she didn't enjoy doing because he wanted her to be happy. She even spent most of her time in her room.

I only read the book once so my memory might be off.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 4:57 pm

millie wrote:
Morgana wrote:
Yeah, somehow I can´t believe Marilyn Monroe would have AS...pretty funny, yes... :lol:

who knows?
but i cannot see why the possibility is so funny.
to me it is plausible....That is...if i were interested in pondering the lives of celebrities. (see my jett travolta posts......)

I read some stuff about Marilyn Monroe (my grandfather found her interesting, so there were books at his house), and based on what I read about her, it seemed highly unlikely. It sounded like she really knew how to play the social game, if these publications can be believed. (To play the game, you need to also have a good idea about what´s going on). To me, she came across as NT.

But then again, what do I know? I guess this was when I was younger, so everyone seemed socially knowledgeable, compared to me!

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:00 pm

I also need to correct another post I wrote. That female author wrote "The Handmaid´s Tale", not the Midwive´s tale. God, not only did I forget her name, but I must be going senile, I´m forgetting everything. :roll:

millie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:41 pm

margaret attwood. canadian writer. Booker prizewinner. very interesting plot lines - pure genius as a writer. :wink:

didn't know she had AS but her writing is excellent. finished the Blind Assasin a month or so ago.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 5:45 pm

Probably these lists are one of the reasons because many people think that AS does not exist.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:34 am

Margaret Atwood doesn't show any signs of an ASD that I can see. She is probably introverted, and I think people can confuse the two at first glance. But you could call 1/3 of the population introverted, so obviously there's nothing abnormal about that.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 12:25 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
Someone must have REALLY hated people with Asperger's, and happened to have the ammunition (of knowledge) to add a MURDERER to the top of the list!

What notable Aspie had a surname that would come before "Arthurs" in alphabetical order? We NEED to add someone above him so as to not make us look so bad! (First impressions matter most; first items on lists matter too.)

Being on the spectrum doesn't mean that you're exempt from breaking the law... my apologies if there is offense, but not only is the purpose of the exercise nothing but supposition and external ego manipulations, but to control the perception that others have of us. This is a practical impossibility, and the premise grates on me heavily. However, whatever works for you.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:10 pm

Anemone wrote:
Margaret Atwood doesn't show any signs of an ASD that I can see. She is probably introverted, and I think people can confuse the two at first glance. But you could call 1/3 of the population introverted, so obviously there's nothing abnormal about that.

I´m just saying I read about it, is all. It was written not as conjecture, but in a factual way, so I assumed she was diagnosed. However, if I´m wrong, I don´t want to take credit; I just remember reading that she, Carl Sagan and Dan Akroyd have it.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:13 pm

makuranososhi wrote:

What notable Aspie had a surname that would come before "Arthurs" in alphabetical order? We NEED to add someone above him so as to not make us look so bad! (First impressions matter most; first items on lists matter too.)

[/quote]

My vote is to put Dan Akroyd first! (Famous comedian). I was surprised he didn´t appear on the list anyway, as he´s even officially diagnosed, unlike many of the others.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

garyww wrote:
Both Clark Gable and Howard Huges have been quoted as saying that they thought Marilyn had 'autistic' characteristics but who knows.

Do you know what these autistic traits were? I´d be curious; this whole Marilyn Monroe debate has opened a new "can of worms" for me...

What irritated me about the article was that the main reason they stated Marilyn might have had an ASD was because she suffered from depression and committed suicide. However, this does not automatically make one an Aspie! She may have been manic depressive; in any case, from what I know of her, the NT-manic depressive thing seems to fit...however, maybe there´s something I don´t know about her?

Anyway, if you have read something, I´d be curious to know.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2009, 4:34 pm

garyww wrote:

I don't mean to be difficult, but since Clark Gable died in 1960, would he even have known that much about autism to say he suspected someone had it?

Supposedly he did say this about her per IMDb: "Everything Marilyn [Marilyn Monroe] does is different from any other woman, strange and exciting, from the way she talks to the way she uses that magnificent torso."

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2009, 4:46 pm

Anemone wrote:

She did write a book Oryx and Crake with an Aspie character in it. that doesn't mean she's on the spectrum though. I wonder if she said somewhere that she might be on t he spectrum? I'm trying to Google "Margaret Atwood" and "Asperger" and am only coming up with references to Oryx and Crake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx_and_Crake

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:06 pm

Norah, the story goes that it was montgomery Cilfts doctor who relayed the rumors attributed to Gable and Monroe.
And autism was fairly well know in the late fifties and early sixties except for in the school systems. In first evaluation was in 1961 but since I didn't exhibit the characteristics of Kanners I slid in under the radar.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:10 pm

Norah_W wrote:
Anemone wrote:

She did write a book Oryx and Crake with an Aspie character in it. that doesn't mean she's on the spectrum though. I wonder if she said somewhere that she might be on t he spectrum? I'm trying to Google "Margaret Atwood" and "Asperger" and am only coming up with references to Oryx and Crake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx_and_Crake

I´m quite sure I read it in a book, and not online....unfortunately, I can´t remember where I read it....sorry....But it made an impression on me, because I always liked her books- (though I haven´t read Oryx and Crake).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 12:26 am

It took me by surprise to find out that Peter Tork is one of us. 8) I'll have to start watching my Monkees episodes, again. I have them all in a boxed set.