People with Aspergers just as extroverted as NTs?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you introverted or extroverted?
A Introverted 60%  60%  [ 27 ]
B Extroverted 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Both AB and C, but obviously excluding F. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Mountain Dew MANN!! !! 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 45

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

I like interacting with people, having fun, going out and being energised in an ASD-friendly environment by people.

So.. yeah... extrovert here. It took quite some time to come to this conclusion. And to find out a bit about what actually drains me so much - not the people or the noise and brightness of a mass of people, but certain sensory and routine.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2009, 11:26 am

AmberEyes sums me up pretty well. In a large, unfamiliar group, I usually am a quiet observer. In the rare event I have a receptive audience, I could well be the one talking for eight hours. I can just as easily be the one listening for eight hours.

Then I need to be by myself to recharge, for an indeterminate but not short length of time.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2009, 12:42 pm

Definitely introverted. But I voted for the last option because Mountain Dew is awesome.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:43 pm

unreal3x wrote:
I have read in a few places that NT observation of someone with Aspergers is that we "show limited or no desire to interact with others". I read that and did not agree.
I think that is just another misinterpretation based on how things look if a person has problems doing something, that doesn't mean they don't want to do it.
I think many people with Aspergers are internally extroverted. As in, on the inside they know they really want to talk to people (extroversion) but they are not able to do it so easily.

Even if you are AS, would you consider your self extroverted? Or introverted?

I think the intro/extroversion is just as diversified in AS people as it is with NTs, its just inhibited in AS people.
I also think that being AS does not make your intro/extroversion but rather, your personality does and who you are does.

I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I think that quite a few of us close off, due to repeated social failures or worse. Also, we are not naturally given to sending the sort of social cues that allow NT's to know that we are actually interested.

I voted for extrovert, although most people who know me think of me as quite introverted. Actually, my percieved extroversion might actually have more to with me reveling in the fact that I finally have learned enough social skills to get by.

Irada
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2009, 1:51 pm

Introverted all the way. The day that someone actually "gets" me is the day that...I don't think there's an analogy that would fit the huge improbability this represents.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 1:59 pm

Ticker wrote:
unreal3x wrote:

I have never talked to an aspie before that I was aware of. I once talked to one when I was 15 (but I did not know he had it, I did not know I had it, but some one told me a few years later he was autistic, meaning aspergers) and I noticed I was eventually very comfortable talking to him, and I thought it was cool how we both talked about science and physics stuff for a few hours, we just kept getting into it, deeper and deeper, my dad left the room and then came back and thought it was weird that we were still talking about it, anyways.

Just as a social experiment I think you should attend some autism meetings so you can speak with bonefide Aspies (meaning people that are telling you they have AS). Then report back what you think. It was a real eye opener for me and amazing how diverse we are.

I think we do attract our own kind without knowing it. Looking back some of my best friends in school were people that I would now suspect as having been Aspies. Yep and several of the ones I dated I'm quite sure are Aspies. There was even two guys I used to work with that stalked me who could both be poster children for Aspergers. We just have A-dar and attract one another since sometimes the only person who will put up with the eccentricies of an Aspie is another Aspie.

I know exactly what you mean, and guess what a few months ago at school me and my friend thought of "A-dar" ourselves so it's a funny coincidence that someone else thought of it too. Sometimes when we see someone we think is an aspie we say "beep beep beep" and pretend our A-dars are going off :D

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:19 pm

I didn't get this poll at all- except for options a & b. Must be the literalist in me. That or I'm just too damned old. :wink:

I voted for b. Like many other mid-life diagnosed person's I learned how to just put up and shut up without knowing exactly what challenges I faced. So much so that I question whether I am really a person with Asperger's or not. I am a columnist on entertaining for crissake! How can I not be extroverted, right?
Still, I put forth a great deal of exhausting effort in order to be extroverted and I drink a lot in the process.
Still, it has been said that the party doesn't really start until I arrive.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 2:38 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I know exactly what you mean, and guess what a few months ago at school me and my friend thought of "A-dar" ourselves so it's a funny coincidence that someone else thought of it too. Sometimes when we see someone we think is an aspie we say "beep beep beep" and pretend our A-dars are going off :D

I think there is certainly truth to the A-dar theory. I mean I can sense another Aspie just by looking at them a lot of times in much the same way my Gay-dar detects other gays. Its just a feeling you get perhaps because you have the same kind of energy. In reminds me of when I was talking to my therapist about a mutual friend we have and she expressed frustration with this friend's goofiness. So I said well she is an Aspie which my therapist first tried to deny then its like my words made it click in her head all the weird things that the lady does. :lol: I've gone on to tell her all the doctors in town I think are Aspies which just mindboggles her. It's kinda fun its like Aspies have a secret handshake well except we don't have to touch hands but we have a way of identifying ourselves with one another. I've driven around with Aspie friends and pointed out other Aspies walking in town. Oh look there's another one oh yeah he's got a major eye contact problem going on.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:29 pm

I'm a very extroverted person, when I;m out with my friends. It's just that I have a lot of things to talk about and get out.