Graduated with a Math degree... feel like a moron.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2009, 10:05 pm

Drug screening for social welfare? :roll: Fascists!

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

raggle-taggle-gypsy wrote:
Drug screening for social welfare? :roll: Fascists!

Ah, I think you misunderstood her. Some of us actually try to work instead of living off of the government, and most jobs require drug screenings.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:09 am

ZakFiend wrote:
Pugly wrote:
So as the title says, I recently graduated with a degree in Mathematics. Joy of joys... it's supposed to be a proud moment in my life. But now my situation is sinking in and I can't find anything to do with my new-fangled degree.

Nothing in the job listings seems applicable to my skills, or they require some technical jargon laden skill set. Or there are accounting or business or financial jobs where I would have to wear a suit and all the office politics. I don't even own a suit or understand these work environments.

It seems like I'll have to go get a factory job, grocery store or Wal-Mart type job. But that type of employment seems counter to all the expectations and self esteem and what have you that has been building up in me over the last 26 years.

I don't even know what I'm writing this for. I have two parts to me... parts that are too smart... and parts that are too dumb.

I'm glad I had a good time studying math... I might as well have spent those 6 years getting drunk and doing drugs....Because now I'm paying the price for studying what I like and not heeding the advice of those who said that there was really no jobs for those who study math exclusively.

In my opinion you should look into being an actuary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuary

Ah but...

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:14 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Congratulations! I hear mathematics is one of the hardest degrees to achieve!

Don't give up hope.. we're all in the same boat - degree, or no degree.

Depends where you go, in my uni its the one dept who manages over 50% firsts (well over in fact). If you are good at maths, provided you don't go to the very top university, its normally a joke.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2009, 1:46 am

Here's a link to the recent article a couple of people referred to above:

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ ... 10BestJobs

It is work to find a job, and it is work to expand a bit beyond your specific interest to produce something of value to the employer. Do the work and you may be able to find a nice situation where your skills are valued and you aren't burdened with a bunch of unbearable nonsense on top of it.

Congrats on your graduation.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 2:08 am

Ladarzak wrote:
Here's a link to the recent article a couple of people referred to above:

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ ... 10BestJobs

It is work to find a job, and it is work to expand a bit beyond your specific interest to produce something of value to the employer. Do the work and you may be able to find a nice situation where your skills are valued and you aren't burdened with a bunch of unbearable nonsense on top of it.

Congrats on your graduation.

Biologist is #4!? In the UK some of them are retaining to be gas fitters...

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

> In the UK

Well, isn't the article about the USA? The land of biotech.

I think the articles one-line description of biologist is way off the mark:

> Studies the relationship of plants and animals to their environment.

That is a biologist focussed on ecology. Most biology today is molecular biology -- genetics and biotech. I think I've seen James Watson refer to ecologists as "dinosaurs" or something like that. Currently, his side rules the field. (He's a jerk, but, hey, don't the jerks usually rule?)

Shinmizu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2009, 6:10 pm

Pugly wrote:
So as the title says, I recently graduated with a degree in Mathematics. Joy of joys... it's supposed to be a proud moment in my life. But now my situation is sinking in and I can't find anything to do with my new-fangled degree.
Do you have any interest or background in programming? Having a math background seems to provide a benefit in the development of algorithms over the average coder (personal experience shows me cases where a regular CS major would write code that ran in fifteen minutes that a fellow math major coworker could get to run in under a second).

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 2:09 am

Shinmizu wrote:
Pugly wrote:
Do you have any interest or background in programming? Having a math background seems to provide a benefit in the development of algorithms over the average coder (personal experience shows me cases where a regular CS major would write code that ran in fifteen minutes that a fellow math major coworker could get to run in under a second).

There is especially a small niche for scientific programmers, how do understand mathematical concepts and can put those into code. Such jobs are normally located in research departments of big companies and academic institutions.

They have also an other benefit, that you have good change to live quite comfortable for some years in an other country - institutions like the CERN, the EBI or the Sanger Institute are regularly looking for new qualified personal. You will find in this area some of the most interesting jobs.

just_some_guy_dave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2009, 12:24 am

Kangoogle wrote:
ZakFiend wrote:
Pugly wrote:
Or there are accounting or business or financial jobs where I would have to wear a suit and all the office politics. I don't even own a suit or understand these work environments.

In my opinion you should look into being an actuary.

Ah but...

Sorry to join the thread late, but I'm an aspie and an actuary.

The only time I've worn a suit on the job has been for job interviews and the occasional time I get trotted out as an "absent-minded professor" to opine for regulators or legislators.

Avoiding office politics is mostly an exercise in choosing the right employer, and/or accepting a bit of detachment by refusing to play.

The only downside to the profession is the actuarial exam process. Even that can be an advantage for someone with aspergers, as early progress in your career tends to be measured by how many exams you've passed, rather than just the intangibles which are relied upon in more mundane professions.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 11:34 pm

Kirska wrote:
Failing a drug screening probably won't help the situation :roll:

He said 'chill out for a while' aka long enough to AVOID the drug screening, and don't even look for a job currently.

OP, can't you work with urban geography?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 2:10 am

you can try Kronos if you speak languages other than English.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 6:15 am

Warsie wrote:
Kirska wrote:
Failing a drug screening probably won't help the situation :roll:

He said 'chill out for a while' aka long enough to AVOID the drug screening, and don't even look for a job currently.

In my experience the academic and research institutions in Europe do not make any drug screening - nor the majority of other employers. Such screening is reserved for security relevant jobs, like railway, air-transport, etc. which is quite sensible. Having a joint does not make a worst programmer, but I certainly would like to sit in train when the driver gets a black-flash.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 10:14 pm

Shinmizu wrote:
Pugly wrote:

I do have interest in this type of programming. And that is exactly the kind of strength I showed in the CS program. There were many times when my solution used much less code and was many times faster than the brute force "copy and paste" program the average CS student was coming up with.

My problem is one of forgetting all the CS jargon and the detailed syntax of many programing languages. Especially it seems with using the standard libraries that most software is developed with...

If I worked with a language in a full time capacity for a couple of years I am sure I would be able to overcome these difficulties and then some. But for the time being I can't say I know any language well enough to work with it in a job environment. But maybe I'm being to hyper-critical of my programing skills...

Just_some_guy_dave: Thanks for the info about the 'business' side of your actuarial job. That definitely puts the job in a more favorable light for me. How did you get started doing that kind of work? Did you past tests first or did you get the job then start passing tests. I'm sure the first couple of tests would be easy for me with a bit of preparation. I looked at a practice test... not too bad...

I am chilling out for a while 8) , but with no drugs... not my thing. I am letting my hair grow out.

I got an interview at a video store next week... that shouldn't be too bad for a McJob. :D

I keep flipping between pursing a career in Stand Up comedy while holding down these crappy jobs... or just settling down and focusing on one of the aforementioned career paths.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2009, 3:35 pm

Pugly,
I think you should consider teaching at a private school for students along the spectrum.
:-)

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 4:51 pm

Yah! Got a job.

I only kind of know what it entails, analyzing data and running some programs on it. I start monday.

I'll combine this with working at the tutoring center to get the double dose of money... until I get burned out or don't need as much money anymore...

I have to give out thanks to my sister for helping me find this job. She works there too, and put the word in for me and explained my degree and they were interested.

Finding a job is stupidly easy when you know people... :roll: It makes me angry... but I can't be too angry now that I've found work...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.