Graduated with a Math degree... feel like a moron.

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Relmiw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2009, 4:40 pm

congratulations on getting a job pugly

i am going for a bachelors in mathematics too and wondering what sort of openings will be available to me

kostopsykologi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

well done. OP!

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2011, 2:12 am

Get a dip edu, and then become a teacher like others have said.

From my past experience they take pretty much criminals/ those who should never EVER come into contact with small people.

So I'm sure you'll be much better, we need good maths teachers damn it. Or not even good, but someone who knows what they are talking about.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 10:22 am

Pugly wrote:
Yah! Got a job.

I only kind of know what it entails, analyzing data and running some programs on it. I start monday.

I'll combine this with working at the tutoring center to get the double dose of money... until I get burned out or don't need as much money anymore...

I have to give out thanks to my sister for helping me find this job. She works there too, and put the word in for me and explained my degree and they were interested.

Finding a job is stupidly easy when you know people... :roll: It makes me angry... but I can't be too angry now that I've found work...

Welcome to the world of being an analyst.
I will tell you there is alot of jobs out there for people who can do quantitave analysis, and if you are interested in moving to DC I can point you in some possible places to work.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 10:59 am

Congratulations!

Knowing the right people helps, but it is a lot easier for folks to help you when you have a degree.

statesman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2011, 7:34 am

Relmiw wrote:
i am going for a bachelors in mathematics too and wondering what sort of openings will be available to me

Advice that I give to a lot of people in CS is while in college is to learn all that you can about another field or industry in addition to CS. The same advice holds for Math.

Both CS and Math are inherently interdisciplinary. Sure you can get pure math and pure CS jobs, but a large portion of the jobs will be on applying CS and Math skills to another field. If you know CS/Math and the other field, you will have a competitive (skills) advantage over others who do not have those skills.

Another piece of advice I give to students attending college (or thinking of attending college) is to search job postings on an employment site like Monster and find several entry level jobs in your field of study that you would be interested in. When you find a few of these jobs, look at what skills employers are looking for. While you are at college, take the time to acquire those skills. The more skills you acquire, the better chance you will be invited to interview for the position.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 11:29 am

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I'm currently in the same position as the OP was back in 2009...
I don't think that I want to go back to college yet; I frequently burnt myself out and had mental breakdowns from not prioritizing what I had to do, and I think I'd need to learn organization skills first to get the most out of returning to academia.
Becoming an actuary is a no-go for me, because the actuary-prep classes confused me, and I had a total meltdown from failing what was supposed to be the simplest exam. (Did I mention that my relatively modern textbook seemed like a dry read to me?)
I doubt that I'd make a decent statistician. What my stats teachers discussed frequently went over my head, and in group projects, I mostly chose to help with the non-technical aspects.
I'm not too adept at foreign languages, and that includes computer code. I struggled just to get passing grades in my comp sci courses.
I did try becoming a math teacher for over a year (even though I was frequently distracted with minor projects), but I've since learned that becoming a teacher requires enrolling into a college and passing relevant courses... again, that's not what I want. So, I changed to tutor-opening hunting, but nothing's happened yet. Even when I get accepted for an interview in spite of a lack of a valid teacher's certificate, someone with better credentials always fills the position. I don't believe that I possess any transferable, profitable or marketable skills besides the ability to fiddle with numbers, so what do I do?!