Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Does the sound of a leaking faucet drive you batty?
All dripping water must DIE!! !! ! 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
Water makes noise when it drips? 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13

NTIDAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2009, 1:08 pm

So...

Dunno how many of ya can't stand the dripping faucet noise but I live in a rental right now that needs the kitchen faucet replaced.

I had an idea though and had to laugh and share.

The faucet is the type where you can position the spout over either sink. When it is in the middle between the two sinks I can't hear the dripping.

The idea was to build a little device that you just slap behind the faucet.

A few minutes after the sink is left idle, two arms converge on the spout and push it into the middle and then tuck themselves back out of the way.

I've also had ideas about simple plastic shapes that can be left in a sink bowl that stops the dripping sound by catching the drop gently on an steeply inclined plane.

Since many peeps would have issues replacing a leaky faucet and we know landlords can be terrible at getting to stuff like that, these might be items that would be used for years. Heh :)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 2:51 pm

try the landlord first. If they don't respond, then you might go for it. If you have a crescent wrench and a little knowledge (but not too much strength) you might try tightening it.

See if it's hot or cold. If hot, that's going to cost you money over time.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:04 pm

It's a washer.

http://www.ehow.com/video_15854_fix-leaky-faucet.html

But your landlord should take care of this, as if he/she is paying the water bill it's costing them money.

BreakTheSilence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2009, 3:12 pm

^ Yeah, about a fraction of a cent a year. It'd probably be better to just get the washer and fix it yourself, its easy stuff.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:16 pm

BreakTheSilence wrote:
^ Yeah, about a fraction of a cent a year. It'd probably be better to just get the washer and fix it yourself, its easy stuff.

You'd be surprised. One little dripping faucet, which will progress to a more strongly dripping faucet (they never just stop dripping) will actually add up. Unless you happen to live somewhere that has cheap water, it'll cost (I don't, it's pricey here as it's imported).

to the OP - You could also just turn the water off under the sink if there's a cutoff valve under there.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:43 pm

NTIDAS wrote:
The idea was to build a little device that you just slap behind the faucet.

A few minutes after the sink is left idle, two arms converge on the spout and push it into the middle and then tuck themselves back out of the way.

That's very creative! :D

I keep my plumbing fixtures in good condition always (I'm a homeowner), and maintain repair kits for the Delta faucets and the Symmons "Temptrol" shower valve (ugh--what an engineering nightmare) should any develop a leak.

As another poster mentioned, it is best to fix these as soon as you notice them. My water meter has this little propeller (yay--a spinny thing!) that reveals even the slightest drip, and I check it regularly.

If you rent, however, the situation changes dramatically depending on your landlord's temperament, his desire to maintain his property, and whether or not he is paying for the lost water or you are.

Toilets and hot-water heaters, however, I do not fool with. These are precision devices which require professional maintenance, and I call my plumber (who has been my plumber for the past 14 years) should any of them require attention.

Anyway, maybe you could sell your idea to your slumlord... :P

Meanwhile, if the drip isn't too severe, just stretch a balloon over the tap before you go to bed.