Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2009, 5:01 pm

There have been a number of posts discussing learning difficulties from people with ASD.

My primary difficulty is reading and fatigue(concentration) when engaged in a task. High School IQ test(Age 13) revealed I had well above average Mechanical apptitude. They never explained to me what this meant. Fell in my grades and repeated one year.

The following tests were performed by me to indicate strengths and weaknesses;

1/ Wilkins Colour Screen
2/ VIP testing
3/ Visagraph

I found the colour screen testing fascinating, tinted plastic sheets(Yellow & pink) made the text easier to read and a calming affect. The words did not seem to move about at all.

VIP testing was stressful after a time when my concentration started to to deterioate. The tasks involved shape recognition and memory, physical shapes had to be arrange into their correct structure. I almost lost it towards the end, so aggitated and exhausted.

Visagraph invloved wearing goggles with electronics that traced your eye movements when performing reading, identification and memory tasks.

The results will be available to me in three weeks when I have a consult with the Behavioural Optomertrist. The person conducting Visagraph tests indicated my eyes do not work together, do not centre on a target and tracking is poor.

Interested to know if other ASD/ADHD people have performed these tests and if specific treatments were employed from the test result.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 5:15 pm

EvoVari wrote:
I found the colour screen testing fascinating, tinted plastic sheets(Yellow & pink) made the text easier to read and a calming affect. The words did not seem to move about at all.

Sounds like mild dyslexia, scotopic sensitivity (Irlen's Syndrome/ photophobia) or as my optometrist told me tired eye muscles.
I used to get the words jumping around on the page too. I now wear glasses that smoothen my vision. I think I just saw everything way too sharp that it was a lot of strain on my eyes. I think I have Irlen's Syndrome, but with glasses the problem is almost fixed. I've got hardly any eye pain but I still have mild dyslexic symptoms.

I've never done that test before. It sounds interesting. I've only done the Mensa IQ test. It was supposed to be 3 hrs but I did it in 1 1/2 hours.