Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

northern_light_girl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

I've read about him...he was a bit odd, compared to the norm. Did he have AS?

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2009, 9:54 pm

Seems like it but I'm not an authority.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 9:58 pm

He was spectacularly perculiar, and almost certainly endowed with some form of autism. A particularly great one.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

Actually, most things don't do the legend of tesla justice. From what I understand, he could visualize VERY well, and figure tight tolerances and formulas in his head. He DOES sound like he likely has AS.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:30 pm

Nikolai? not sure about the details of his life enough to know.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 4:27 am

Who is this guy? The guy who made Tesla Motors? :?

24 Jan 2009, 4:46 am

He had very good hearing, could hear a watch ticking few rooms away.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:16 am

No. The new electric sports car is named for him. So is a unit of magnetic flux.

Nikola Telsa (1856-1943) invented alternating current electrical systems. He is, contrary to accepted history, the inventor of the radio. Also the first robot/remote control device Also, flourescent lights. And an electron microscope in the form of a beautiful light bulb.

He was compelled to do many things in multiples of threes, insisted on staying in hotel rooms (in which he lived all of his adult life) which had a room number in a multiple of three, and demanded that he have eighteen fresh towels every day and eighteen napkins at every meal. He could not enjoy his food unless he first calculated its volume, and if he read one thing an author had written he felt compelled to then read everything else, which caused him to call Voltaire a 'monster' in a most amusing way in his little autobiography.

He was extremely revolted by the touch of human hair and skin, and wore gloves a great deal of the time. He was also revolted by most jewelry, expecially pearls, and could not bring himself to approach people who were wearing them.

He was obsessed with pigeons and would feed them every day, or hire Western Union carrier to do so. He made a hospital for them. And eventually fell in love with one, more or less.

True, about the hearing. He claimed to be able to hear the 'thud' of a fly landing on a table. He definately could hear thunder from considerably further away than others, an ability he made obvious at his research station in Colorado Springs.

He never seemed to sleep more than four hours a day and was appearantly pretty hyper and moody. At one point a doctor said he had a unique condition and dosed him with bromide (a period treatment for epilepsy, also rather often applied to people that we now believe probably had bipolar disorder) which Tesla said didn't do anything at all.

He was unlikable, standoffish and shy until he got to know you, then charmed the heck out of people, but often managed to be quite cruel on occassions when he obviously meant to be comforting. One can observe this in his letters. He was also rather tragically naive and repeatedly got conned, first by Edison and then by Westinghouse. If he hadn't been daft about the Westinghouse business he would have ended up owning the company and been the richest man in the world and Earth's first billionare, but as it was he spent most of his life trying to scrape together backers for his amazing projects. Which is why the amazing Wardenclyffe tower was never finished and instead torn down. He wanted to provide free wireless electricity to the entire world, and that tower was meant to be the beginning.

He had amazing powers of visualization. He was nearly fifty before he ever had to make adjustments to any of his designs after building them. He made the machines in his mind and then would run them in his mind and see how they'd wear, adjust for that in his mind, and then build the thing. There are a number of things he came up with that he never bothered to actually build at all, because he'd become obsessed with the next great idea.

Some people printed hilarious pamphlets claiming he was an alien from Venus sent to bring enlightenment to mankind. Tesla said he hated it when people misspelled his name.

Last edited by Electric_Kite on 24 Jan 2009, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:27 am

He certinaly has some sort of ASD then, judging by that description!! !

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:38 am

I hope some day to get a new Tesla Museum here. I used to live a couple of blocks away from the site of his Colorado Springs lab. The little museum that used to be near there was great. They'd fire up the Tesla Coils for you to play with -- the electricity is at such high frequency that it kinda runs over the surface of your skin and doesn't shock you, so you in your rubber-soled shoes can touch the streamers (lightning bolts) coming off the coil. Or hold hands in line with people, with one person in the coil's field and the person on the far end holding a light bulb, and watch the bulb light up. Or play light-sabers with flourescent tubes lit up in your hands, but they wouldn't let you do that at the museum, that was with the grand seven-foot coil we (probably-aspie friend and his probably-aspie dad, really) made in High School. They make a grand scary roar and hum and crackle, too. I've seen them hooked up to electric instruments so they power up to the notes and shoot more streamers with the music.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2009, 6:15 am

There already is a Nikola Tesla museum, in Belgrade. It opened in 1952.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 3:42 pm

melissa17b wrote:

Weird. He was Croatian. Croats and Serbs hate each other. There's a reason why "Balkan" became a synonym for "divide into incompatible pieces".

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2009, 5:16 pm

Although born in what is today Croatia, Tesla was an undiluted ethnic Serb.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 7:27 pm

melissa17b wrote:

I know. However, while the Serbs are awfully proud of Tesla and put portraits of him on their money, Tesla was awfully proud of his American citizenship. He'd chuck honorary degrees into a drawer and forget about them, but displayed his certificate of naturalization thing in a frame.

Besides, as much as I'd like to, it's highly unlikely that I'll be going to Belgrade to see that museum.

Additional besides, there already was an American Telsa museum, but it was shut down because the Tesla Society couldn't afford the rent and the electric bill. This is a terrible shame.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 9:14 pm

This thread makes me really happy.

I'd like to think he's an Aspie; I'm pretty sure, but we can't know. When I was about eight years old I developed a massive crush on him. He remains a sort of hero to me.

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2009, 10:31 pm

He was definitely gifted, but AS is disputable.