Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2009, 10:31 pm

He was definitely gifted, but AS is disputable.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 7:55 am

mixtapebooty wrote:
He was definitely gifted, but AS is disputable.

Have you actually any argument to dispute it?

I think it is in error to reject all posthumous diagnoses of historical figures simply on grounds that no doctor knowlegeable about the condition examined the person in question and delivered that diagnosis. By the same reasoning, we ought to doubt, just as gravely, that the Black Plague that struck Europe in the 14th century was really caused by Yersinia pestis infection, or that Julius Caesar was a human being. Admittedly autism is a bit more vague a diagnosis than plague or humanity, but still. The record of Tesla's life is very consistant with him having an ASD, and I know of nothing in that record to cast a doubt on it besides the absence of a professional diagnosis that could not possibly have been made at the time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 8:20 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
Who is this guy? The guy who made Tesla Motors? :?

He is the inventor of alternating current. He also invented radio before Marconi did. Tesla finally established his priority in 1942, but it did him no good financially.

ruveyn

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 8:53 am

I think he's one of the people suspected to of had AS who's the most likely.

The obsessive compulsive behaviour and the unusual phobias. His tendency to become isolated and seeming apathy towards socialization. His preoccupation with his work itself and of course, the pigeons!

Aurore wrote:
This thread makes me really happy.

I'd like to think he's an Aspie; I'm pretty sure, but we can't know. When I was about eight years old I developed a massive crush on him. He remains a sort of hero to me.

When I first read a list of historical figures suspected to have Asperger's, I smiled ear-to-ear when I seen Tesla on it. I remember writing an essay about him when I was nine as 'the person I most admire'. :D

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.