Need to figure out which certification test to take

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:36 am

Recently I have taken, and passed, the A+ Essentials exam. However I am not sure how to proceed as far as the specialization exams.

Ideally It would be best to take all 3 specializations, but at the present time I really only have the time to take one of them. So I suppose my question is of the 3 specialization tests (IT technician, Depot technician, or Remote support Technician), which would be the best for getting an entry level job. I was thinking IT technician would probably be best, but I wanted to be sure.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

The Comptia has

S+ Server Plus
N+ Network Plus
L+ Linux Plus

and there's one for Computer Security, that I don't remember the designation for.

I got my A+ back int the 90s. It's essential to get both a tech job (hardware,etc), and to get certifications for HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

I finished a course for Server Plus (I fixed them for 9 years, so it was only moderately challenging...;) just don't have the $300 or so bucks to take the test.

It really depends on which direction you want to go. A quick check of the want adds should tell you what they're looking for in your area. MCSE, Cisco, even Novell have carreer track sets of tests, but they're like $400 each, and up to 7 courses (plus, some tend to have only a year's 'worth' to them., i.e, you're a certified MCSE for a year, then you have to take a test again next year)

It's half racket/half training. The tests are often adaptive (which means that each question is harder than the last one, then it levels it out to make sure you get the hardest test you can take and almost pass. 'Cause if you fail, you get to take it again...ka-ching!)

But I may be being bitter here. Like I said, see what they're looking for. There are some places that will 'train' you for a day or two to pass the tests, but they're more expensive than the tests. Devry (sp?), places like that, are more involved. Your local tech college might even have some courses.

Can't hurt, and it do boost a resume some.

BryceEason
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2009, 9:53 am

A+ was a good choice to make for the first one, I've got it.

Right now I'm studying on my own to take the whole CompTia. But I won't be taking the actual exam until I got some money. I sure hope they don't make me take a course on it either lol.

But stick to either one of the CompTia certs, or CCNA. Those should get you in the door and up a ways for an IT Job.