Would you choose the big apple or the small apple?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Would you choose the big apple or the small?
I go for the big one 36%  36%  [ 18 ]
I will take the small one 64%  64%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 50

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:22 pm

I'm a size queen.
Go big or go home.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 2:24 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
At first I thought this poll was about city travel preferences:

"The Big Apple": New York

"The Small Apple": York? :?
:lol:

I have been to both "The Big Apple" and "The Small Apple".

I did find New York very overwhelming, but exciting.

This is a tough one.

I think I probably prefer going to York for the relative peace and quiet, and the interesting Cathedral.

You would have prefered a compromice, in short terms! Never been to the apple, by the way. I'm obsessed with the north west pacific.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 2:37 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
I'm a size queen.
Go big or go home.

I wish I had your mind in this issue. I mean, It's nothing wrong wanting a big sleaze of the pie, or the big apple, but I somehow can't do it.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:39 pm

I would have chose the small apple. I would like to think that it's all because I'm a nice guy, but there's also a bit of passiveness and feelings of inferiority going on. In my subconscious I would think, "Who am I to deserve the big apple? I most certainly would survive with the small apple, plus I wouldn't possibly make the other person feel bad". That was my personality for most of my life.

Now, I try to consider myself an equal, and it's something that I am always working on. The tough part is learning to increase self-confidence without coming off as a jerk. That is why progress is slow, but at least there is progress. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:41 pm

Neither. I would choose the medium sized one.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:44 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
I would have chose the small apple. I would like to think that it's all because I'm a nice guy, but there's also a bit of passiveness and feelings of inferiority going on. In my subconscious I would think, "Who am I to deserve the big apple? I most certainly would survive with the small apple, plus I wouldn't possibly make the other person feel bad". That was my personality for most of my life.

Now, I try to consider myself an equal, and it's something that I am always working on. The tough part is learning to increase self-confidence without coming off as a jerk. That is why progress is slow, but at least there is progress. :)

Yeah, exactly. I always tend to view things in black-and-white and I often have a hard time seeing how I can act like I'm worth something without being a complete jerkface.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:45 pm

I was taught that it's always polite to take the small one... taking the big one marks you as greedy and selfish...

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 2:51 pm

jrknothead wrote:
I was taught that it's always polite to take the small one... taking the big one marks you as greedy and selfish...

Hmmm.
If everyone only took the small apple, what would happen to all the big ones?

I have battled with my issues of self-worth and self-esteem all my life. Now, nearly half-way through to the end of my life I am only just realizing there there is nothing wrong with thinking enough of one's self to ask for more, expect something better and assume the best. Because if you don't, someone else will. I'm not saying that it's ok to step on, bully or otherwise make other's go without. I would just like to think there is enough to go around for everyone.
I may have a big apple today and take the smaller one tomorrow. It's all a wash in my book.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 2:59 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Yes, I definately do this. I think it has to do with how I was raised as a child. My mother's philosophy was pretty much 'You're just a kid, you don't have any rights' so I am used to things like.. not taking the last slice of pizza becasue someone else might want it, not sitting in the front seat of a car because that's where the adults sit, ect ect ect.

Seems that now even though I am grown, I still think such things to myself. I don't matter much, I'm just a kid.

Interesting answer. So you really think that being modest as a child, moulded your future adult being, so to speak?
That's what I think, that AS ppl maybe don't get off the rails in many ways, they just stay there, always modest.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 3:05 pm

jawbrodt wrote:

Yeah, I try to learn too, but it feels like kind of difficult.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:09 pm

mosez wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:
Yes, I definately do this. I think it has to do with how I was raised as a child. My mother's philosophy was pretty much 'You're just a kid, you don't have any rights' so I am used to things like.. not taking the last slice of pizza becasue someone else might want it, not sitting in the front seat of a car because that's where the adults sit, ect ect ect.

Seems that now even though I am grown, I still think such things to myself. I don't matter much, I'm just a kid.

Interesting answer. So you really think that being modest as a child, moulded your future adult being, so to speak?
That's what I think, that AS ppl maybe don't get off the rails in many ways, they just stay there, always modest.

Yep, exactly. When you're young its your parents job to teach you that the world doesn't revolve around you and that other people (and especially adults!) are more important than you. Perhaps other people learn to let go of this when they become adults and therefore are 'just as important as everyone else.' I don't know but I know that I can't do that.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 3:19 pm

Xelebes wrote:
Submissive personality.

Persoanlly, I'm all that. Some of it may be due to anxiety but I think most of it is personality.

Hm.. interesting. I feel that you're right, but it sometimes makes me mad, when ignored and I feels like been passed by, when I have deserved attention. Well, it's kind of hard to explain. I'll try anyway. I feel that ppl should recognize my qualities, without me have to struggle for their attention. At the same time, I don't want recognition if it places someone else in the shadows. That's the nearest I can get, with my english.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 3:22 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Neither. I would choose the medium sized one.

You would have gone for the compromice, which I did not include in my poll. Well, you just got to think harder.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 3:40 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
jrknothead wrote:

Hmmm.
If everyone only took the small apple, what would happen to all the big ones?

I have battled with my issues of self-worth and self-esteem all my life. Now, nearly half-way through to the end of my life I am only just realizing there there is nothing wrong with thinking enough of one's self to ask for more, expect something better and assume the best. Because if you don't, someone else will. I'm not saying that it's ok to step on, bully or otherwise make other's go without. I would just like to think there is enough to go around for everyone.
I may have a big apple today and take the smaller one tomorrow. It's all a wash in my book.

You big egosentric jerk! Just kidding :D I'm working on it, but I think maybe the way I was brought up and my peronality, just get in the way somehow. Maybe some black and white thinking too.
I just wondered if this was common among aspies

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 3:46 pm

mosez wrote:
I see you relate. In fact I had thought of a third option in the poll, that said I don't want to choose, so I don't want an apple. But I somehow could not fix the poll thing. I thought I'd learned it by now, but I did something wrong. So the compromise should in fact be there. So those who feel like compromicing, just have to think stronger :idea:

No, you misunderstand me. What I mean by compromise is take the smaller apple.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2009, 3:51 pm

i_wanna_blue wrote:
mosez wrote:
I see you relate. In fact I had thought of a third option in the poll, that said I don't want to choose, so I don't want an apple. But I somehow could not fix the poll thing. I thought I'd learned it by now, but I did something wrong. So the compromise should in fact be there. So those who feel like compromicing, just have to think stronger :idea:

No, you misunderstand me. What I mean by compromise is take the smaller apple.

Sorry, but I had in mind to have a compromice option to the poll, but I somehow f****d it up.