Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2005, 6:22 am

I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning. I don't understand why if you have daytime running lights, there is still a headlamp switch. The headlights are always on. If anything the switch would be a tail light switch, but if visibility is bad enough that you need headlights, you probably also need tail lights so why not leave them on all the time too? Why have a switch at all?
And while I'm ranting, could someone please explain the purpose of driving with the parking lights on? That's another vehicle feature I don't understand. If you're parked, you don't need lights. If you are driving and you need lights to be seen, then turn on the headlights.
OK, I'm done.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2005, 7:42 am

The idea behind daytime running lights isn't to help your visibility; it's to make your car more visible to other people in hopes of preventing accidents where someone pulls out right in front of you, etc.

But I bet they've caused quite a few accidents because of people forgetting to turn the headlights on at night (since they're already on!) and driving around without taillights. I think that's why most newer cars run the parklamps instead.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2005, 2:34 pm

As Rearden just said, lately the DRLs are not the headlights. They're the blinkers/parking lights. When DRLs came out in the US about 10 years ago, the high beams ran at 90% intensity. A lot of cars with that setup, including a '96 Pontiac Grand Am I had, had automatic lights operated by a light sensor. Early sensors were freaky, but over time the manufacturers refined the technology and now they seem fine. My Cobalt has automatic lights (which you can override) and parking-lamp DRLs.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2005, 5:23 pm

Parking lamp DRL's. Makes more sense than the high beams. I love those early Saturns. Not only can you see them, you can't see anything BUT them.
My Matrix has DRL's with the low beams and an automatic sensor which effectively only turns on the taillights, because the headlights are always on. The sensor is overly sesitive and switches from drl's to night-mode whenever you go under a bridge. This hasn't decreased the tendency of people to pull out in front of me. They look me square in the eye and do it anyway, as if daring me to hit them. I wonder if thats how people get hit by trains. They get so used to the world coming to a stop for them that they expect the train will too.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 3:29 pm

I hate daytime running lights as they are too bright for my light sensitivity and make it difficult for me to see during the day when I am driving.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2008, 5:47 pm

Our 1996 Chevy Cavalier had DRL's. I remember when they first came out it seem like most cars were equipped with them. We could not turn off our DRL's either. For our car the DRL's automatically went on as soon as one would shift into drive. They never went off until someone shifted out of drive, turned off the car or turned on the actual headlights. For our car the DRL's were the high beams on a low intensity.

It's a funny thing I remember when we first got this car everyone outside would say "you're lights are on!" when we use to pass them during the day.

Nowadays it seems like DRL's as not as common. Our 2006 Ford Focus does not have them and it's not even a option for that car.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 6:40 pm

I drive with my lights on all the time. Doesn't hurt the car and if I can be seen better by other drivers to keep me and my family safe...

I also wear my seat belt.

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2008, 7:35 pm

i don't know if my car has DRL.

I know though that if I drive with my headlights on during the day, seeing the speedometer is hard, because it "dims".

(i got a digital dash)

94 Chevy Caprice

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 4:22 pm

06xrs wrote:
And while I'm ranting, could someone please explain the purpose of driving with the parking lights on?

We used them to pull into peoples' houses at night so we don't bother anyone trying to sleep.

silkboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2008, 5:09 pm

Daytime running lights are one of my biggest frustrations ever! I laughed when I saw this thread as I have often wanted to rant about them. I constantly see people in cars with daytime running lights on in the rain. They refuse to turn their lights on because they think they are already on. But of course in the rain it can be as important (if not more important when on a freeway) to have tail lights on. I hate them! Few things really get to me but this is a subject that does.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 6:56 am

I don't think they make me more visible at all, since almost everyone has them now. We all blend in. And people are still constantly trying to drive into my car with theirs--- it's terrible, how badly people drive!