Feel your talent going down the drain, due to your AS?

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Does your talent go down the drain?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 34 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 18 ]
Don't have a talent 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 61

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 3:27 pm

mosez wrote:
I just could not decide what i'd like to be, so after the army I just started to work at a factory, making furnitures. After that i took an education that made me a skilled carpenter, making doors. That's what I do today, and I'm not complaining, exactely. It's a nice place to work, just six others to relate to, and I'm managing my day pretty much as I like, as long as I keep up with the delivery schedules.
The reason I started this thread was becauce I know I could done something different, if I had better organizing skills, and if I did not procrastinate everything. I guess this have to do with my supposed AS

Is it too late to do what you want to do now? Many people change careers at some point in their life; (I know, because I was a professional dancer. As dancing is a short lived career, every dancer at some point, when their dance career is over, has to either study and go on to a new career, or continue in the business by teaching, choreographing or directing a company). Anyway, if it helps, I know many people who did that, then went on to do something else.

I´ve also been wondering lately if I should "expand my horizons". I´m quite interested in AS, and have been wondering if there´s something I can do- job wise- to help people, or do something research oriented...don´t know, not sure what I would do, at this moment it´s just a very vague notion in my head....well, we´ll see.

P.S.- I have the same tendency to procrastinate, and I believe that often this occurs when one fears something. If you are afraid to do something, you find reasons not to do it, or just don´t manage to "find the time". If you are aware of this, it can be helpful, either as an aid to conquering your fear, or, maybe, regardless of the fear, you just have to take the plunge. I don´t know if this is the exact reason why you procrastinate, but in my case this is often so. If you take steps to do what you want, you will feel better.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2009, 4:38 pm

Morgana wrote:
mosez wrote:
I just could not decide what i'd like to be, so after the army I just started to work at a factory, making furnitures. After that i took an education that made me a skilled carpenter, making doors. That's what I do today, and I'm not complaining, exactely. It's a nice place to work, just six others to relate to, and I'm managing my day pretty much as I like, as long as I keep up with the delivery schedules.
The reason I started this thread was becauce I know I could done something different, if I had better organizing skills, and if I did not procrastinate everything. I guess this have to do with my supposed AS

Is it too late to do what you want to do now? Many people change careers at some point in their life; (I know, because I was a professional dancer. As dancing is a short lived career, every dancer at some point, when their dance career is over, has to either study and go on to a new career, or continue in the business by teaching, choreographing or directing a company). Anyway, if it helps, I know many people who did that, then went on to do something else.

I´ve also been wondering lately if I should "expand my horizons". I´m quite interested in AS, and have been wondering if there´s something I can do- job wise- to help people, or do something research oriented...don´t know, not sure what I would do, at this moment it´s just a very vague notion in my head....well, we´ll see.

P.S.- I have the same tendency to procrastinate, and I believe that often this occurs when one fears something. If you are afraid to do something, you find reasons not to do it, or just don´t manage to "find the time". If you are aware of this, it can be helpful, either as an aid to conquering your fear, or, maybe, regardless of the fear, you just have to take the plunge. I don´t know if this is the exact reason why you procrastinate, but in my case this is often so. If you take steps to do what you want, you will feel better.

Thank's for your good advice morgana. I'm not feeling like 49, so I guess you're maybe right. Just feel that I should have done things differently ages ago and I blame my autism to be the cause. Just thought this might be a topic others could relate to.
I also rearlize that many so called NT's stuggle with these questions, but I believe it's worse for a person who is on the specter.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 5:31 pm

mosez wrote:
I also rearlize that many so called NT's stuggle with these questions, but I believe it's worse for a person who is on the specter.

You´re absolutely right there, and I hope you didn´t think I was minimizing the situation. I do think that anything we accomplish comes with far more effort, focus and hard work than it does for the average. But now that you know about the autism, with this knowledge you may be able to work with it and make some changes in your life, if you want to; you have a new perspective now, and maybe some answers are on the way. I´ve read that people with AS are "late bloomers". So...I think there´s still time.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 8:15 pm

I consider my talents to all be things that are associated with my AS, so in my case, AS has given me my talents rather than have taken them away.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

HighPlateau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

mosez wrote:
Many times I have wondered why I don't seem to pursue some of my talents, rather than to stick with my profession.
One of the answers I have come up with, is that most professions sucks the living daylights out of you.
You have no energy to even try to be something different from your position, today.

You know, mosez, the thing I found myself most agreeing with in your post is that jobs suck the living daylights out of you. Here's another reason some choose not to make their talent their living: you don't want that special thing to get corrupted into just another life-sucker that saps you. That way, you always have it as a place to go when you need a top-up.

It may be different for you, but that was my experience.

On the way to making your own decision about whether to go for it, and exactly how much risk is okay for you, it is helpful if you can find a way not to let those well-meant suggestions make you feel guilty or as though you have somehow 'lost' something by not exploiting your talent. Sometimes people who wish themselves more talented, or courageous, or whatever, project a lot of burdensome expectation onto others. I think we are each entitled to choose exactly how much of that weight to carry - including zero.

Good luck with your writing. Good that you are finding ways to use it. Enjoy!