Feel your talent going down the drain, due to your AS?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Does your talent go down the drain?
Yes 56%  56%  [ 34 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 18 ]
Don't have a talent 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 61

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 1:42 pm

People always told me that I should be a writer, or journalist. Life, however, made me a carpenter. Many times I have wondered why I don't seem to pursue some of my talents, rather than to stick with my profession.
One of the answers I have come up with, is that most professions sucks the living daylights out of you.
You have no energy to even try to be something different from your position, today.
Do you feel that your talent(s) gone down the drain cause to your aspieness?

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 1:47 pm

Sadly the only talents I have are due to my aspergers (probably). So in my personal experience I'd say no, but I can see how it might.
I wish you good luck with your talents in any case.

skybluepink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2009, 2:00 pm

Yes I do, partly because when I was a child I believed everything everybody told me. When I
was 12 I was very good at music but I still remember the day I heard my mother modestly
telling my neighbour that perhaps I wasn't quite good enough to be a professional. I remember
being told I couldn't do maths at seven. I'm sure everyone gets told these things but I was
completely passive about it and accepted everything.

Nowadays I work from home - partly because of my kids and partly because I find everything
about the office environment very stressful, especially the clothes. So it feels impossible for me
to pursue any 'professional goals', even if I could be self assertive enough to have any. :(

Vulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2009, 2:01 pm

well, i dont know if i would put it that easily...for me its a matter of energy and that i lack it...

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 2:20 pm

Reminds me of this quote:
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though often better than a master of one."

Sometimes I think that's true. I love drawing & everyone says that I'm really talented at it, but I'm mediocre (sometimes I feel I'm less than mediocre) at everything else.
It's very aggravating, especially if you have problems finding a career in the art department. I feel that my drawing skills are pointless.
Sometimes I wish I could sacrifice my talent in order to be somewhat better at things that are more useful & important.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 2:22 pm

Vulcan wrote:
well, i dont know if i would put it that easily...for me its a matter of energy and that i lack it...

That's what I say, sorry, but total lack of energy is a different matter. I meant that your regular profession sucks the energy out of you. Or if you don't have a profession, life in genereral sucks the energy out of you, makes it impossible to pursue your talent?

31 Jan 2009, 2:33 pm

My mother thinks I am squandering my writing talent on my obsessions, diapers, B&J, because I do nothing original.

I have done original stories. I retired from diaper stories for now and doing fanfiction right now. I have B&J mixed with original. I made up two characters for the B&J story and made them both aspies and because of their aspieness, it's a disaster for son and mother because they both can't think of each other or be flexible.

I do writing just for fun than using it as a career. I get too many writers blocks.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 2:48 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
Reminds me of this quote:
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though often better than a master of one."

Sometimes I think that's true. I love drawing & everyone says that I'm really talented at it, but I'm mediocre (sometimes I feel I'm less than mediocre) at everything else.
It's very aggravating, especially if you have problems finding a career in the art department. I feel that my drawing skills are pointless.
Sometimes I wish I could sacrifice my talent in order to be somewhat better at things that are more useful & important.

As I see it too. Working all week seems to suck up all I've got. Sensory issues that needs to be sorted out.. etc. Never seem to have the time or energy to try to do something about my talents. That's why the poll.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 2:51 pm

I don't have any real talent(s). Just a smattering of half-assed skills that seem to fool a lot of people into believing I'm "talented". I'm like a beautifully bound book with a gorgeous cover and nothing but blank pages inside.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 2:52 pm

Co-morbid conditions due to AS had an effect on my education if that counts. I had to leave secondary school at fifteen on account of it. :?

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 2:56 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
I don't have any real talent(s). Just a smattering of half-assed skills that seem to fool a lot of people into believing I'm "talented". I'm like a beautifully bound book with a gorgeous cover and nothing but blank pages inside.

As long as you're happy about it, sounds like perfect!

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 3:03 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
Co-morbid conditions due to AS had an effect on my education if that counts. I had to leave secondary school at fifteen on account of it. :?

Well, off cause. In genereral, everything you had to give up. Maybe I just should have made the poll a little different?

Last edited by mosez on 31 Jan 2009, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 3:05 pm

I think there are two kinds of intrinsic talents. One comes from the head and results in mostly written or painted or drawn or acted-out types of 'results' or expression and the other comes from the body and is expressed through working with ones hands and the results are sculptures, furntture, musical instruments, houses, bridges, weldments and those types of things. Some people have both levels. Talents and their results are sometimes hard to judge as they are subjected to criteria of 'worth' or 'value' by society.

FlamingYouth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2009, 3:07 pm

I think yes. In Elementary school through high school, I was talented in swimming, karate, and playing trumpet. But, due to my lack of Executive function, I could not keep those things as I got older. These things require a lot of daily practice to get really good at, and for me that can be really hard. I'm just too lazy to practice these things and get better at them, so my skills disappeared over time. I can still do some karate, and I can play trumpet at a mediocre level, but I think my Asperger's Syndrome is keeping me from being as good as I could be.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 3:11 pm

I have various talents, but i find it very difficult to hone my talents because of some of my AS issues, like my utter lack of organization.
I do what I can, and keep chugging at it though. I try to get better despite being constantly sidetracked.
I don't feel like my talents go completely down the drain.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

FlamingYouth wrote:
I think yes. In Elementary school through high school, I was talented in swimming, karate, and playing trumpet. But, due to my lack of Executive function, I could not keep those things as I got older. These things require a lot of daily practice to get really good at, and for me that can be really hard. I'm just too lazy to practice these things and get better at them, so my skills disappeared over time. I can still do some karate, and I can play trumpet at a mediocre level, but I think my Asperger's Syndrome is keeping me from being as good as I could be.

Yeah. If you got the time to focus on one of the things you mentioned, I'll bet you'll be real good. That's what I tried to show on this poll. On the other hand, you might not have those abilities if you were an NT, see?