Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 6:51 pm

The trouble is...if you do good ,,,better then the rest of humanity...but then you have a short comming, people get mad at you, even if you are a much better role modle then the people pointing out your flaws. Its like, If you arnt flawless, then dont excell

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 8:14 pm

KenM wrote:

I admit I mis said my words. But you can't argue that drugs are known to effect perception, how the mind works. Drugs do have effects on how you make decsions.

I can see from your posts that you've had a bad history with people around you using the drug. Thereforth I agree that you have good reason for disliking it, anyone with your past (including myself) would.

Personally however I have had little experience with the drug (I'm so paranoid about altering my thought process I won't take anything stronger then aspirin if I can avoid it). However my brother has had a little, he even tried it himself once but become so paranoid the next day he never tried it again. The point is he knows several people who use the drug and not one smokes more than once or twice a week. I don't doubt that some people can become addicted to it, anything and everything has the potential to be addictive, but it's not an addictive drug by nature.

KirliaGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2009, 11:38 pm

Michael Phelps was Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Year," in 2008, on the cover and all. I don't think anyone posted that yet, so there it is. Wonder what SI thinks now.

Michael Phelps? Pfff. Pac-Man is my idol.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2009, 1:10 am

i wonder what the phelps bong would fetch on ebay

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 3:49 am

KenM wrote:
familiar_stranger wrote:
KenM wrote:
"Well you see your honor, when my client drove and killed those 3 kids, he was high, so its not his fault, throw it out."

you need to start reading what people post because you're starting to become irritating, the 'client' in your example should be punished for killing the three children whereas you seem to think he's innocent and the weed should be somehow arrested...

the client chose to smoe, chose to drive, and chose the option of risk, it's his fault not the drugs.

I admit I mis said my words. But you can't argue that drugs are known to effect perception, how the mind works. Drugs do have effects on how you make decsions.

drugs may alter the perception and decision maing skills but it's the choice of the person whether or not they start taking/using the drug, if they later jump out of a window thinking they can fly it''s their fault regardless as many people on the same drug don't jump out of windows believing they can fly.

the only reason cannabis is still illegal is because of religion and the concept of witchcraft, if people were willing to live life and carry on rather than stay stuck in the middle ages things would be different.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 8:51 am

I like how this is partially becoming a debate about weed when theres already a thread for that. Also, as far as Michael Phelps goes... who gives a f**k? lol. Why is it any of our business what a grown man does with his free time? It's not.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:08 am

kalantir wrote:
as far as Michael Phelps goes... who gives a f**k? lol.

Apparently the advertisers who are/were going to pay him millions of dollars care. He is happily selling his image - the image of a clean-cut, hard-working, steroid-free olympian - and in order for him to be successful at selling himself, he needs to keep up the illusion.

If a corporation is selling a product and Michael Phelps endorses that product, they will drop him if he does something stupid that goes public. If he endorsed rolling papers or condoms, they probably wouldn't care. But right about now Phelps is probably very concerned about how he appears because there ain't no money in bong endorsements.

Z

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:41 am

KenM wrote:
zghost wrote:
Marijuana smokers, even very heavy ones, are usually only smoking maybe a joint or two daily. And most people only do it on occasion, like less than once a month.

All the people I've known that smoked pot had tryed to hide it from me at first. Then they told me they used it now and then. Then all they wanted to to do was smoke all the time all day, nothing else. I have never meet a casual pot user. Its all or nothing with them.

Thank goodness we have you to lead that moral crusade. :roll:

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:58 am

Zonder wrote:
kalantir wrote:

Apparently the advertisers who are/were going to pay him millions of dollars care. He is happily selling his image - the image of a clean-cut, hard-working, steroid-free olympian - and in order for him to be successful at selling himself, he needs to keep up the illusion.

If a corporation is selling a product and Michael Phelps endorses that product, they will drop him if he does something stupid that goes public. If he endorsed rolling papers or condoms, they probably wouldn't care. But right about now Phelps is probably very concerned about how he appears because there ain't no money in bong endorsements.

Z

the only reason the advertisers and such care, is because the general public makes such a big deal out of these sorts of things. If people would mind their own business, it wouldn't even be an issue.

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 10:08 am

Zonder wrote:
kalantir wrote:

Z

if i were going to buy something because phelps endorsed it i'd probably want it more knowing he smokes weed, at the end of the day weed isn't what made him win at the olympics...

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 12:33 pm

kalantir wrote:
the only reason the advertisers and such care, is because the general public makes such a big deal out of these sorts of things. If people would mind their own business, it wouldn't even be an issue.

You're talking about idealism (why can't everyone just live and let live), and reality (Phelps is hypocritical because he's selling an image that he doesn't live up to).

Agree with it or not, reality wins.

Z

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:09 pm

I just want to know one thing. Was it a water bong? :wink:

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 7:38 pm

KenM wrote:
I just want to know one thing. Was it a water bong? :wink:

yes

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 8:40 pm

KenM wrote:
I have a very negitive view when it comes to people using any kind of rec. drugs. When you see your mom wake you up in the middle of the night high all the time, shaking you down for money so she can get her fix, you'd understand.
Another person I was good friends with and I liked more then a friend, all she wanted to do was sit around and smoke pot all day.
Another old friend used to smioke pot all the time, he is pretty much brain dead now. So yeah, pot is harmless. :roll: I am judging them, but I've seen what drugs can do to people I care about. I will never change my views.

So forgive me if I'm hard on the morons that want to waste time using drugs.

Something like 40% of Americans have smoked pot (if I remember right, well above the percentage of Dutch that have), so let's not pretend all pot users end brain dead, anymore than all alcohol users end up with delirium tremens. Pot destroys lives? So do tobacco and ethanol. An affluent young American smoking pot? \sarcasm{Wonders will never cease!}
All it takes are a few facts to expose the hypocritical idiocy that is the 'war on drugs' (it's not a real war for Americans, but it is for others). If we're going to discuss harm, let's not forget the price other countries pay in blood for this instance of First World hypocrisy.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:02 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Kellogg is dropping him. The idea of a pothead promoting a healthy breakfast may have something to do with it.

He says he is sorry and says he won't let it happen again. Does he mean smoking pot or getting caught?

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 11:44 pm

KenM wrote:
Does he mean smoking pot or getting caught?

He probably wants people to think he means smoking pot. But in all honesty, he probably really means getting caught.

pbcoll wrote:
Something like 40% of Americans have smoked pot (if I remember right, well above the percentage of Dutch that have), so let's not pretend all pot users end brain dead

I'm just as big a stoner as anyone, but using the average american as a basis for comparison isnt the greatest idea. We(americans) do kind of have a reputation for being stupid and doing absolutely idiotic things.