Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 12:20 am

I am thinking about trying to come off my ritalyn, off course doing so will be hard with my parents being so for it. It has done good things for me over the years, but I think it is time to start coming off my drugs, I just need a change, and I think this is the change I am looking for. This time I at least believe it, rather than wanting it for selfish reasons such as "I do not want to be medicated"...

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2009, 4:46 pm

I came off my prescription a few months ago and so far all is well. Talk to your doctors and ask them whether and how you should stop taking your medicine.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:55 pm

if your parents are going to make a big stink about it (although you ARE 18 and have the right to decide for yourself, parents can still make things difficult) then you could suggest reducing the dose and if you're fine on a low dose then try without the medication.

how long have you been on it? it may be difficult for a little while if you've developed a dependence because you could have some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, but you probably already knew that.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 5:59 pm

I have been on them for 4 years at least.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 6:08 pm

have you been using it every day or only on school days? if you stop abruptly you could feel some withdrawal symptoms, depending on how high your dose was, how frequently you used it, how your body reacts to it, etc. if you've been off medication during weekends and breaks then i wouldn't worry about withdrawal but if you've been on it every day it's certainly a possibility but if it happens it shouldn't last too long and shouldn't be too bad (compared to someone who uses stimulants recreationally) because it's a therapeutic dose.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 6:10 pm

I take it everydasy unless I forget.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 7:54 pm

good decision. be sure to taper at about 5-10% maximum dosage approx every two to three weeks, wait until your stable and really doing better before making the next cut. if you have an extended release it must first be changed to the regular format. take lots of fish oil b vitamins magnesium chelate c e multimineral

really you should not bother to inform your psych as he may 1. he has no copacity to help with withdrawal symptoms 2 try to interfere say by telling your parents or worse and 3 may cut off your supply of meds before your finished tapering.

honestly though you should get the assistance of a quailified naturopath or holistic md to help. psych meds have the way of pulling the rug out from under people. I know too many people who went through withdrawal problems wich were confused with mental illness and and thus hospitalized. You should no its generally not possible to withdraw when you live with others without their cooperation as its too easy to interfere with what your trying to do.

Last edited by nightbender on 03 Feb 2009, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 8:01 pm

I am obviously gonna wait itll I can talk to my doc about it and have him figure out how I'm coming off.