Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 10:42 am

I'm both Asperger and narcisistic. I don't see why they could be the opposite of eachother. Surerly they interact in strange way and sometimes narcisism "help" covering up Asperger and the other way around.

Famous people I suspect of both narcisism and Asperger/HFA:

Albert Einstein
Bill Gates

I can go further, basically everytime someone say: "Nah he can be an Aspie, look, he show up in pubblic doing strange things.." I think they probably don't consider that they can be both Aspie and narcisistic.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:45 pm

I've been accused of being a narcissist because someone couldn't see what I was thinking and assumed a motive I didn't have.

everyone is narcissistic sometimes.

but autism is way different than Narcissistic Personality Disorder or the other PDs. a personality disorder is pathological, and the prognosis for NPD and APD are dim because they usually don't want to change so will not subject themselves to the years and years of cognitive therapy it would take for them to start to develop a normal consciousness.

I don't think they're alike at all. NPD requires everyone to play to his tune. you'd better at least make him believe you think he's wonderful and you agree with him, or his fragile ego will trash you. for NPD, image is everything. to be admired, looked up to, and praised is everything. for NPD, there is no enjoyment in doing something enjoyable where no one can see it and praise you for it.

unless you can't exist without the constant validation of others, and unless you put an inordinate amount of time cultivating relationships that will ensure you are validated, you don't have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.