What causes a stomach to produce excessive gas?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jezabel_Starfox
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2009, 11:32 am

Well, you are ultimately in charge of your own body and have to make the decision about what to do with your situation. Its so frustrating to have doctors not listen to the patient as I have felt and experienced what you experienced in the ER.

I eventually became aware that IBS symptoms and symptoms for food intolerence can be the same. I was given a prescription for the exact same medicine as you a couple of years ago. The Dicyclomine helped for a short term period, but I noticed that it slowed me down to the point of pain. Even modifying the dosage didn't help. I had to stop taking it because I started to experience serious side effects.

When you posted the meals you ate, oatmeal and chicken broth, I identified gluten/wheat in these particular foods. The jello was safe because there is no gluten in jello. Its up to you, but you may consider it would be worth trying out a gluten free diet if you do not see any recovery from your symptoms or start to suffer side effects from long term use of the prescription.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 2:34 pm

Jezabel_Starfox wrote:
The Dicyclomine helped for a short term period, but I noticed that it slowed me down to the point of pain. Even modifying the dosage didn't help. I had to stop taking it because I started to experience serious side effects.

Was one of your side effects pain during urination? This may only be a side effect for males -- I don't know -- but it feels like my urinary tract is contracted, and that's causing me pain. I rarely get that type of pain, and it started after my first dose of Dicyclomine. I'm going to stop taking it and see if my urinary pain goes away.

Jezabel_Starfox wrote:
When you posted the meals you ate, oatmeal and chicken broth, I identified gluten/wheat in these particular foods. The jello was safe because there is no gluten in jello. Its up to you, but you may consider it would be worth trying out a gluten free diet if you do not see any recovery from your symptoms or start to suffer side effects from long term use of the prescription.

I will try the gluten-free things you listed, and I thank you very much for providing that list. We have a Whole Foods near us, in which there are no processed foods. I assume the gluten-free brands you mentioned would be there for sure. And every food there is whole and unaltered, which adds clarity to my selection process of trying to avoid "snuck-in" gluten.

Jezabel_Starfox
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2009, 3:50 pm

The side effects I experience included difficulty urinating although it wasn't painful, blurred vision, constipation, a constant bloated feeling, nausea, headaches, and when I started to feel like my heart was racing when I was just sitting I knew it was time to stop taking the medication.

Whole Foods should be a great place to start! Keep in mind that gluten free is very specific and most stores I frequent have a gluten-free aisle to keep items seperate from other types of foods. With consistant label reading (a pain sometimes because it means longer trips to the store), my list of bad foods, and looking for the Gluten-Free labeling have helped considerably. And the more I shop around and learning what I can find for basic things at a conventional grocery store I am glad because it helps save money and I just focus on specific items at the specialty stores.

I wish you much success and feel free to post should you have any questions! I am not a medical professional so this is just my own personal experience I am sharing and new territory for me as with you. But I am glad to learn others are on this same journey to good health!

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 4:43 pm

Ragtime when you decide to try a gluten free diet, also go off refinded sugar (use honey instead) and also dairy.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 5:50 pm

Okay, my wife and I went to the Whole Foods store last night, and got some gluten-free snack bars made by "Glutino" and couple other products. They don't a big gluten-free section because they are in the process of reorganzing everything right now. But anyway, my first day on a gluten-free diet has so far been a 100% success. :) That constant, audible rumbling in my abdomen has gone completely away, my stool is actually normal (sorry for the TMI), and I haven't had any pains at all!

I can do gluten sometimes, though. I do fine on Pop Tarts and spaghetti, but I only happen to eat those when I'm relaxed and at home, so I could be merely on my way to being gluten intolerant, so that when stressed I am g.i., and when not stressed I'm not g.i. That makes sense... So, my g.i. will likely intensify over time, so it's good for me to learn the diet now.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2009, 3:21 am

Ragtime wrote:
I can do gluten sometimes, though. I do fine on Pop Tarts and spaghetti, but I only happen to eat those when I'm relaxed and at home, so I could be merely on my way to being gluten intolerant, so that when stressed I am g.i., and when not stressed I'm not g.i. That makes sense... So, my g.i. will likely intensify over time, so it's good for me to learn the diet now.

I would go totally off gluten completely if I were you, you maybe damaging your small intestines everytime you eat a little bit of gluten. Well keep completely off it for 2 weeks. Rice noodles make a good substitute for spaghetti.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 10:45 am

I used to have terrible gas - very embarassing at meetings. I was able to get it back to normal ... although what worked for me won't work for everyone (there are different causes).

For me, the key was psyillium fiber and kefir (like yogurt, but more species of bacteria). I started with one fiber capsule morning and evening, and built up to 4 or 5 in the morning, 4 or 5 in the evening. Adding lots of psyillium all at once can increase gas. But taking a gradually increasing dose will change the bacteria in the gut over time and reduce gas.

I buy the generic brand at the grocery store or pharmacy - I think last month, I bought 320 capsules ( 30 to 40 days worth if I never forget to take a dose) for about $12. It can also lower cholesterol.