Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 2:50 pm

It's not that I don't like being alone, but I can't stand being lonely. And I always manage to feel loneliest in crowds, you know, like everybody has their place and are comfortable there because they're with people they know. I have trouble making friends (DUH!), so the few friends that I manage to actually get I want to be with them. But eventually that friendship is ruined when they tell me that I'm being too clingy. I can't help it, I don't mean to be a nuisance. I follow them around because I feel awkward being by myself out in public. I always thought that they liked my company, but if they tell me that I'm clingy then I feel bad & try to stay out of their way as much as possible. As a result, the only friendship I've had vanishes, and I have to start all over again.

hechz
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2009, 3:52 pm

I hug you... I just did the same thing I blew-up the only friendship I had by being too "clingy". I am not sure what we're supposed to do. We get so lonely and merely crave human contact and love, but can't get because we need it.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 4:19 pm

hechz wrote:
I hug you... I just did the same thing I blew-up the only friendship I had by being too "clingy". I am not sure what we're supposed to do. We get so lonely and merely crave human contact and love, but can't get because we need it.

Exactly! Is it another symptom of being an Aspie/Autistic? It's like we're unable to have a happy medium no matter how hard we try. We just go from one extreme to the other. Either too anti-social or too clingy; either too indifferent or too emotional, etc.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 5:26 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
hechz wrote:

Exactly! Is it another symptom of being an Aspie/Autistic? It's like we're unable to have a happy medium no matter how hard we try. We just go from one extreme to the other. Either too anti-social or too clingy; either too indifferent or too emotional, etc.

I see where you're going here, I feel like I'm always 2 extremes, maybe feel one way or the other has something to do with black and white thinking. hhhmmm *ponder ponder*

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 4:34 pm

I am worried that people think I'm clingy, despite my best efforts not to be.