How do I learn to verbally intimidate people?

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 6:49 am

Silvervarg wrote:
So you didn't fight, others did it for you. You didn't "win" becouse you ignored them.
"eventually most bullies will figure out you're not worth their time"
This is allmost right, the correct is:
"You must show them that you are not worth the effort."

in my experience, some bullies are happy as long as they have a safe outlet, to pour their insecurities on.
so, in some cases, neither ignoring nor reacting to them will make any difference. in this case, an attitude change, outwards, towards other people may be more helpful. they see you interact openly with people around you, they will be more reluctant to mob against someone who has friends, than someone who wanders around allone.

it often depends where the bully is "coming from".

a factor that unites most bullies, is their own insecurity. the bullied one can use that to his/her advantage

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 8:27 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
so, in some cases, neither ignoring nor reacting to them will make any difference. in this case, an attitude change, outwards, towards other people may be more helpful. they see you interact openly with people around you, they will be more reluctant to mob against someone who has friends, than someone who wanders around allone.

That strategy sounds like it could work. Problem is, with my social skills, that's not really an option.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:03 am

Mw99 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

That strategy sounds like it could work. Problem is, with my social skills, that's not really an option.

i know, in my case, i was lucky. circumstances around me changed, and i got the chance to view myself, and my school, and my classmates etc, from a more neutral point of view. i dunno about you, or how you come off to people, but with me,
in time i changed my whole outwardly persona, i used to hunch, but i learned to walk almost exaggeratedly straight, it felt like i was bending backwards, but it genuinely boosted my confidence.
most importantly: when talked to, instead of reacting in a surprised or insecure way, i answer as if they interrupted my dinner, very abruptly and directly "YES?" "OKAY!", mumbling is self-confidence-death, blurting things out in a almost psychotically direct manner may not be the best thing to do, but it sure as hell beats mumbling ;]
so... i dont think i changed much more than that, my bodily posture, and the tone of my voice, and of course, i stare directly into peoples face. again, its awkward, but it beats looking down.
for voice/eyecontact practice: use your local grocery store clerks ;]

/rant :D

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 9:07 am

Thank you, come again!

foxskifreak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2009, 2:31 pm

tell them the truth. tell them whats on your mind without thinking about it. tell them if the smell bad or not. tell them they need to back up. oh, thats why the others think i am intimidating..

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 2:43 pm

This is a case where the usually-wrong advice of "just be yourself" is very useful. By being myself I'm sure to intimidate everyone :)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 4:25 pm

Greentea wrote:
This is a case where the usually-wrong advice of "just be yourself" is very useful. By being myself I'm sure to intimidate everyone :)

Is it your goal to become completely unapproachable?

Not every situation calls for intimidation.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 1:01 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Mw99 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

i know, in my case, i was lucky. circumstances around me changed, and i got the chance to view myself, and my school, and my classmates etc, from a more neutral point of view. i dunno about you, or how you come off to people, but with me,
in time i changed my whole outwardly persona, i used to hunch, but i learned to walk almost exaggeratedly straight, it felt like i was bending backwards, but it genuinely boosted my confidence.
most importantly: when talked to, instead of reacting in a surprised or insecure way, i answer as if they interrupted my dinner, very abruptly and directly "YES?" "OKAY!", mumbling is self-confidence-death, blurting things out in a almost psychotically direct manner may not be the best thing to do, but it sure as hell beats mumbling ;]
so... i dont think i changed much more than that, my bodily posture, and the tone of my voice, and of course, i stare directly into peoples face. again, its awkward, but it beats looking down.
for voice/eyecontact practice: use your local grocery store clerks ;]

/rant :D

I found this post hilarious and very useful to boot! Thankyou ZEGH8578.......you cured my headache and made my day. ..on the posture thing....some martial artists suggest leading with your hips when you walk. a bit difficult for me but whenever I make myself do it, my whole outlook becomes more upbeat and chipper.....i almost feel like i could take on the world....

Actually the whole thread is a riot. I hadn't bothered to read it before because i'm not all that interested in learning how to intimidate people....as i want the exact opposite...which is to learn how to not make enemies out of people who otherwise would find me tolerably acceptable..but for throwing too much of my aspie tendencies at them straight from the get-go.. ...

There's something about my presence that intimidates people anyway..I'm not sure exactly what it is. But it's off-putting and I've never had a problem with eye contact. My gaze may be a little piercing as I never remember faces but I remember what is behind their eyes...and that's where my gaze is aimed at. If you don't stare at a person's eyes, but rather deep inside and beyond their eyes, it works better that way..They don't know what the frakk you're doing and it makes them uncomfortable. I don't know any other way of establishing eye contact as it's impossible to just rest my gaze on the surface of their eyes. Holy sh*t, that would feak me out so bad I'd be running away in fright. Peircing into the depths of their soul though - I can almost always handle that...because we're all equal there. It's the stuff on the surface that they want you to see that is so toxic for me.

Nevertheless, this thread has some useful tips that only a fool would dismiss as pointless or unhelpful.

Great thread!! Should maybe be printed as a handout for aspies at the meetups. What do y'all think?????

Aufgehen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2009, 3:05 am

Quote:
There's something about my presence that intimidates people anyway..I'm not sure exactly what it is. But it's off-putting and I've never had a problem with eye contact. My gaze may be a little piercing as I never remember faces but I remember what is behind their eyes...and that's where my gaze is aimed at. If you don't stare at a person's eyes, but rather deep inside and beyond their eyes, it works better that way..They don't know what the frakk you're doing and it makes them uncomfortable. I don't know any other way of establishing eye contact as it's impossible to just rest my gaze on the surface of their eyes. Holy sh*t, that would feak me out so bad I'd be running away in fright. Peircing into the depths of their soul though - I can almost always handle that...because we're all equal there. It's the stuff on the surface that they want you to see that is so toxic for me.

This is also how I make eye contact, I have been trying to explain it to my daughters in order to help them with their eye contact, though my youngest daughter who is autistic rather than aspie and still barely speaks to people (she is a teenager) barely needs help with this in order to protect herself, as her stare is so intimidating that it even scares adult men away, she has been doing this since she was very small, people would come up and talk to her (as she looked like a very inviting precious moments doll) and since she didn't speak she would just give them this intense get out of my face stare... anyway, I have been trying to explain how I look at people without looking at people to them and I guess I didn't really understand it myself as I have been saying that I look at them, but I am not really looking at them, I am looking past them, your description here has helped me to understand it myself and also helps me to see why people seem to be so intimidated when I do actually make eye contact.. and its probably also why I didn't recognize people that were a danger because of their own fear, as I look right past it to the "place that we are all equal" fortunately my experience with certain really bad people has taught me how to recognize dangerous people with my physical intuition instead of trying to do it cognitively.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 10:47 am

Since I cannot look into a person's eyes, a little trick I use is:

Without saying a word, stare at the center of their forehead, right above their nose. Don't let your eyes waver. Have your eyes fixed on that spot.
Tilt your head upwards slightly while still having your eyes fixed upon their forehead.
Raise an eyebrow sceptically. Give a little smirk. Close your eyes, and then gently shake your head no, while chuckling a little bit.
Then walk away, with your head up. Sway your arms as you walk. Just look confident and content. Maybe chuckle a bit more as you walk away.
Don't look back at that person.

It really unnerves people.
:lol:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 10:55 am

CleverKitten wrote:
Since I cannot look into a person's eyes, a little trick I use is:

Without saying a word, stare at the center of their forehead, right above their nose. Don't let your eyes waver. Have your eyes fixed on that spot.
Tilt your head upwards slightly while still having your eyes fixed upon their forehead.
Raise an eyebrow sceptically. Give a little smirk. Close your eyes, and then gently shake your head no, while chuckling a little bit.

It really unnerves people.
:lol:

Some might find this unnerving but others might be outraged by it. Some might interpret as "a disrespect" which is absolutely intolerable and must be followed up by physical violence. You wouldn't believe how poorly some people respond to being disrespected.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 11:16 am

slowmutant wrote:
Some might find this unnerving but others might be outraged by it. Some might interpret as "a disrespect" which is absolutely intolerable and must be followed up by physical violence. You wouldn't believe how poorly some people respond to being disrespected.

This I do understand. :chin:

The only person who has ever used physical violence as a response to this method was my brother. But he has always had anger issues and a problem with controlling himself. It ultimately made him look like "the bad guy" because I never hit him, and in fact tried to end the dispute by walking away. He tried to continue it by using physical violence.

I would advise that anyone using this method of "intimidation" should use their best judgement in determining who has anger issues or not, to avoid possible physical altercations. :nerdy:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 1:30 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

This I do understand. :chin:

The only person who has ever used physical violence as a response to this method was my brother. But he has always had anger issues and a problem with controlling himself. It ultimately made him look like "the bad guy" because I never hit him, and in fact tried to end the dispute by walking away. He tried to continue it by using physical violence.

I would advise that anyone using this method of "intimidation" should use their best judgement in determining who has anger issues or not, to avoid possible physical altercations. :nerdy:

Don't use it on someone of colour who looks they may have "black anger." You could end up stabbed.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 1:46 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Don't use it on someone of colour who looks they may have "black anger." You could end up stabbed.

Or shot! :lol:

Haha, but really, my brother's favorite weapons were either a laundry basket, or a television remote.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

MegaAndy wrote:
GET IN THERE FACE AND PUT A GRR FACE ON
that should do it :lol:

haha I give them the dagger eyes, I guess that a grrr face

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2009, 5:00 pm

Mw99 wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:

Yeah, if we all could somehow manage our own posse of pals, would we have any problems, lol? The problem for many of us is, that isn't an option or if it's an option, it's not reliable since many of us have trouble maintaining our status in our social group, for whatever reason.