Favourite strange/ridiculous religious beliefs

Page 14 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:39 am

ARRRRRGH which one of you necrophiliacs has awoken me from the dead.

But is is a good point, search AG's record back a year and you will find no unambiguously atheistic statements

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

04 Jun 2010, 2:19 pm

Is this one back? Cool! Here's a very odd Christian legend I found out about recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_the_Astonishing

(I think you'd have to go some way to find a weirder saint story than this, but if anyone thinks they have one, do tell...)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 2:47 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
ARRRRRGH which one of you necrophiliacs has awoken me from the dead.

But is is a good point, search AG's record back a year and you will find no unambiguously atheistic statements

Bah, history is bunk!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 2:52 pm

My favorite ridiculous belief of this era, which is actually held by the Majority Of True Scientists, is the belief in abiogenesis. Previously known as Spontaneous Generation, but reduced to microorganisms by "scientists who didn't know any better" such as Francesso Redi, and later the spontaneous generation of microorganisms was questioned by Lazzano Spallanzani and demonstrated false by Louis Pasteur. However, in the 20th century it was formalized by the likes of Alexander Oparin and an experiment by Stanley Miller which produced amino acids was held as proof that it happened in the past because some of the components of proteins could be made in the laboratory. Nowadays, headlines are made in droves making hyped up claims of things they wish were in the rest of the article.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2010, 6:38 am

Sorry to butt in like this, but as some of you already know I beileve that you can have sex (and whatever else your heart may desire) in Heaven!! !! !!

After all if you want something, and can't have it, how can it be Heaven?????

For some reason there are a lot of people who think otherwise.....

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 6:43 am

/thread

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2010, 7:09 am

Good Point!

I very much doubted that God looks like (really big) old man with a beard!! !! !

We don't know what He looks like do we?

Heck, we don't even know that it's a He or a She!

My money is that God is most likely asexrul....

Also I very much doubt that Adam had such a small dick, as it would be unlikely that Eve would have been to happy! (Just a joke!?!)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 6:08 pm

Back in the eighties I read about a Mexican village woman who discovered that the face of the Virgin Mary had appeared in one of the enchaladas she was baking.

Before long there were thousands of people lined up at her home to see the holy enchalada!

I thought that was the funniest thing ever.

But this foreskin thing - beats that!

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Back in the eighties I read about a Mexican village woman who discovered that the face of the Virgin Mary had appeared in one of the enchaladas she was baking.

Before long there were thousands of people lined up at her home to see the holy enchalada!

I thought that was the funniest thing ever.

But this foreskin thing - beats that!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 6:45 am

I did a turd once that looked exactly like Jesus after He was taken down from the Cross. I did not inform anyone because I did not want superstitious Catholics coming to my bathroom, clicking their beads and praying in the direction of my toilet bowel.

ruveyn

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 9:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
I did a turd once that looked exactly like Jesus after He was taken down from the Cross. I did not inform anyone because I did not want superstitious Catholics coming to my bathroom, clicking their beads and praying in the direction of my toilet bowel.

ruveyn

I had a similar experience. After my first communion I felt an overwhelming sense of wrongness, and staggered out of the church. I fell to my knees and vomited up gallons of wine with chunks of bread in it. The resulting pool of vomit moved in such a way as to resemble a bearded, robed gentleman wielding a sword and riding a Harley from above the clouds, sweeping down to the earth below, where the pope was standing in full regalia.

The mysterious figure on the motorbike raised his sword aloft, and smote the pope a majestic blow which removed his head from his shoulders. He wiped his weapon on the pope's robe with an efficient 'swipe-flip-swipe', before riding off into the sunset.

At this point the heavens opened, and a short-lived but torrential rain washed away all evidence of the miracle I experienced. Nobody believes my tale, but I still follow its message to this day.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 10:16 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
My favorite ridiculous belief of this era, which is actually held by the Majority Of True Scientists, is the belief in abiogenesis. Previously known as Spontaneous Generation, but reduced to microorganisms by "scientists who didn't know any better" such as Francesso Redi, and later the spontaneous generation of microorganisms was questioned by Lazzano Spallanzani and demonstrated false by Louis Pasteur. However, in the 20th century it was formalized by the likes of Alexander Oparin and an experiment by Stanley Miller which produced amino acids was held as proof that it happened in the past because some of the components of proteins could be made in the laboratory. Nowadays, headlines are made in droves making hyped up claims of things they wish were in the rest of the article.

There's obviously a choice. Either life started from non-life or it was always here. Most people, even religious people assume life started from non -life. It's only the method that's in question.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2010, 12:02 am

I hadn't heard that one, and it's probably one of the weirdest things I have heard all year.

I can't think of my favorite one yet, but I probably will once I've shut down the computer! :lol:

Watch Doctor Who!

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

<3 people who believe the earth is only a few thousand years old and that dinosaurs were all vegan hippies that hung out with a literal adam and eve.
....leave it to such excellent critical thinkers to reduce all models of abiogenesis to "spontaneous generation." i guess "magic" is enough of an answer for some people.