Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Kinnery
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2009, 10:33 pm

What problems do you face in school because of your AS/Autism?

I don't have AS as far as I know, but I've had problems in school all my life... my academics are usually awesome, although they are affected by my social life. When I have friends and I can follow the social nuances, I do very well. When I'm at a school where people can't accept my differences, I get lower grades (which, for me, means low A's instead of A+, haha. I'm a browner).

The other day in school, somebody who had warm skin touched me, so I curled up on the floor and closed my eyes and put my hands over my ears and hummed to make it go away... in the middle of a stairwell. Luckily, I am now at a very accepting school, so a few students asked what was wrong and my friend, who was standing beside me, gently answered their questions and protected me from anyone who wanted to laugh or anything. When it was over, I carried on with my day. It's wonderful having friends who will look out for you when you're trying to cope.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 12:43 am

It's nice that you found an accepting school to go to. My school has been a lifesaver when it comes to my self-esteem, I actually feel like I deserve to have friends now.
I used to face constant bullying, because I was the easy target. It didn't help that the bullying started around the time my father stepped out of my life.
School itself has never been affected by anything social, school is my outlet to escape any depression I'm feeling (unless the depression is about school), because I know I can succeed.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 1:37 am

So don't gie up!! ! Yeah!! !

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm

I'm so glad you found a good school, Kinnery! I was picked on in grades 7, 8, 9 and 10 for just being there and doing nothing at all out of the ordinary!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 12:30 am

Not for me --- I had an unpleasant experience in high school just because of the uncaring and ignorant principal who just made life hell :(

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2009, 3:29 am

I don't know if I specifically have Asperger's (the symptoms of hyperlexia and NVLD seem to describe my problems more precisely), but I was hyperactive in Elementary school and did not "interact well with others".

When I started to mature and gain greater moral values, I started to think that this, along with my general failure at sports, was the reason why I could never make any friends, and I always longed for the chance to relive those early years and "do it correctly".

In middle school I was bullied for no reason at all and was called gay because I wasn't interested in sex or dating.

In high school, where I am now, things started to get better, and I started making new friends and keeping friendships going.

By the way...

Quote:
The other day in school, somebody who had warm skin touched me, so I curled up on the floor and closed my eyes and put my hands over my ears and hummed to make it go away... in the middle of a stairwell.

That sounds a little extreme...if you are undiagnosed I would recommend talking to someone about that. :O

~S_O_S~

Carole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2009, 7:15 pm

well so far i like school. My math teacher has helped me tremendously and now i am her top algebra student. Also i recently found out that my science teacher may be an aspie. And thanks to him i got a perfect score on my science SOL. (SOL is a statewide test for Virginia.) Also all of my teachers think that i am a brilliant student. :mrgreen:

d057
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 9:38 pm

i've been picked on, talked about behind my back, pushed around, and taken advantage of since about 6th grade. I only have one teacher that really gives a damn, and she's retiring at the end of march, the rest of my teachers patronize me, and treat me like i'm mentally retarted.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 4:50 am

Oh dear. I guess regarding the tauntings and whatsoever, we will have to discard them. I hope for all of us that we can know ourselves better, and understand that our strengths are stronger than the passing words of the good-for-nothings... :)

Urthred

14 Mar 2009, 2:09 am

It is Simply Amazing to me that you are so well accepted at any institute of learning.

My teachers liked me for the most part (there was a few who hated me) but it was the student body that was the most cruel

since my earliest days in school until say my junior year of highschool it was a living hell i was mock and ridiculed as is any student but to a much more greater degree to the point they would follow me home to mock me. My mom in an effort to help made it worse placing me in "special" ed classes where quite frankly i got straight A's while i slept (i loath special services to this day because of those classes, though i do realize they do a lot of good) and then in 5th grade i was transfered to a special school nearby where they cloistered us away and hid us from the larger student body as much as possible (special shuttling to and from school special classroom etc.) It was here that i first became aware of how much NT's really hated me the thought of the "quiet room"( a 3ft by 3ft room of solid white walls and a heavy locked door) still fills me with rage.

Highschool (it was regular my mom woke up somewhere down the line) was and interesting point in my life it was there that i met my first true friends and with that said my school was not kind. But i found that friends made it bearable amazingly so. So after my long rambeling story i must say stick in there as ive indicated it can be much worse. It makes me glad to see someone not suffer for things they cannot change.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:04 am

To summarise all these what's above, make do with whatever we have:)

Vasyl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2009, 8:39 pm

Middle school has been cruel for me for the most part, especially since I wasn't from the country and wasn't able to speak the language, yet excelled in academics. Moving to FL from NJ has been a dramatic change for the worst, as I was constantly dealing with yet a new and unbelievably close-minded mentality of both the student pack and the administration. :evil:

Luckily, HS in the land of the idiots has been great! Especially now that I pick my own schedules so that I don't have to deal with the people described above, thanks to AP and honors classes. I am still very socially awkward, but people all around me find hilarity in everything that I do and say, for my incredibly random mind and the very unorthodox ways I interact (especially in the spring). Acting class is the most underlining instance of social interaction I've ever had, people say I've a talent in it.

As far as popular kids go, I am the emerging king of the other kind. As far as friends, sadly, they are all only in school and school/internet. Barely ever do I leave my home, and that for to play games at night every few weeks or so, of the manhunt type (with countless fun modifications made by no-other).

Dating? I've had the most trouble understanding many things about it, and although I've caught the eyes of many girls (and some guys[ :D ]), I haven't been able to find people attractive or think of a single way our proposed relationship could work. Dating is also a large part of my observational comedy routine(I've at least 6 other types), which I don't get, but people around me drop dead from suffocating over laughter.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:34 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I'm so glad you found a good school, Kinnery! I was picked on in grades 7, 8, 9 and 10 for just being there and doing nothing at all out of the ordinary!

Sounds like me, only i was picked on from kindergarten on...i'm a senior now & some student's in my class still bring up old taunts and crap from 5th grade.....

other random stuff i deal with: essays, i hate 'em, and for very good reason; parties, i wasn't invited to a single one until the cast/crew/pit party my sophomore year for our musical(we did Beauty and the Beast); teenage NT guys, 'nuff said; and last but not least, friends, i had half my friends(about 5) abandon me after my dx of AS at the end of last school year...& of course some of the friends i still have opted to go to a vocational school for half the day in junior and senior years so i have no classes with any of them..... :(