Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:43 pm

I'm constantly stimming. Just want to get an idea of how much the average stimmer stims.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:55 pm

Pretty much 24/7. I have been told that I even do little stims when I am asleep.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:56 pm

pretty much all the time - sometimes more and sometimes less.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 11:57 pm

well, join the team!

Merle

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:04 am

probably not 24/7 but quite a lot. But it never happens when I'm depressed.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2009, 12:31 am

I am a stimmer stimming even right now.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:33 am

Well, right now! Lab Pet tends to stim quite a lot; mostly when thinking/formulating, to steady my (physical) balance, and when happy/excited. Stimming is associated with the release of oxytocin (neurotransmitter/hormone) which can be awry in those with Autism.

Lab Pet loves to stim when standing or swaying - feels good in the lab which is very rythmic anyway. And if the radio is on then you have an automatic 'excuse.'

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:46 am

When I try to concentrate. Sometimes when I read but can't concentrate properly I move my body, which helps me concentrate. When I'm nervous or angered I do a lot of finger/hand stimming. And when I get excited I can't stop stimming.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 12:47 am

Oh, yeah, almost non-stop. In that I am sometimes distracted by alternatives, such as typing or other activities with the hands. But it's amazing how much you stim even while occupied, isn't it? Like driving, you'd think you'd be busy but if you pay attention just a bit you know you're doing something or other with fingertips and the wheel cover. Well, I am anyhow, I have a wheel cover.

But what various reasons are there for stims? I mean, there are other conditions or causes for a person to engage in them, yes? I am wondering, as an undiagnosed Aspie, what else might account for it. Because I really can't remember when I didn't stim, I wonder if I ever didn't. It is the primary thing that I consider at times when I ask myself how sure I am that I have this. My various traits can and have placed me in a lot of areas, right or wrong... hyperactive and gifted as a child, later things such as social phobia, OCD, anxiety, depression, too danged uptight, and just a simple intolerant nature have been suggested. (What kind of crappy biofeedback therapist says that? "So... you're intolerant." I don't recall gaining much relaxation from biofeedback.)

But then I find AS and realize that something besides agitation could be causing the sheer whopping huge number of different stims I have collected. I mean, if I made the effort to catalogue the numbers and varieties, ho-ly crap.

That, and the way I react to change. I mean, like catching a stomach virus. Throws me off completely.

But yeah, stims all over the place.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:23 am

irishwhistle wrote:
Oh, yeah, almost non-stop. In that I am sometimes distracted by alternatives, such as typing or other activities with the hands. But it's amazing how much you stim even while occupied, isn't it? Like driving, you'd think you'd be busy but if you pay attention just a bit you know you're doing something or other with fingertips and the wheel cover. Well, I am anyhow, I have a wheel cover.

But what various reasons are there for stims? I mean, there are other conditions or causes for a person to engage in them, yes? I am wondering, as an undiagnosed Aspie, what else might account for it. Because I really can't remember when I didn't stim, I wonder if I ever didn't. It is the primary thing that I consider at times when I ask myself how sure I am that I have this. My various traits can and have placed me in a lot of areas, right or wrong... hyperactive and gifted as a child, later things such as social phobia, OCD, anxiety, depression, too danged uptight, and just a simple intolerant nature have been suggested. (What kind of crappy biofeedback therapist says that? "So... you're intolerant." I don't recall gaining much relaxation from biofeedback.)

But then I find AS and realize that something besides agitation could be causing the sheer whopping huge number of different stims I have collected. I mean, if I made the effort to catalogue the numbers and varieties, ho-ly crap.

That, and the way I react to change. I mean, like catching a stomach virus. Throws me off completely.

But yeah, stims all over the place.

About why, for stimming? STIM is an acronym for self-stimulatory involuntary movement, associated with autism. Stimming is accompanied by the release of Oxytocin, as I stated above. Oxytocin, neurotransmitter, is the 'love' hormone and is on the pharmaceutical market as 'Pitocin' and others with synthetic versions as well. Pitocin induces uterine contraction in women during labor. Oxytocin is released in mammals upon pair bonding, lactation (breast feeding), sexual orgasm, and some forms of reciprocity. This is the biochemistry behind stimming.

Stimming amongst autistics can be brought upon through various factors but 'to control?' Well, why? Stimming is innocuous. Unless the stimming becomes violent (ie: self-harming, such as if one is hitting their head against a wall) or overtly distracting to others (such as in a classroom, if stimming should become just totally erratic or bizarre) then it's not a problem.

As to 'intolerant nature???' Huh? Nonsense. And biofeedback? Again, why? Oxytocin is a normal neurotransmitter. For me, stimming can help me concentrate too. And just feels comforting (right word?); maybe just feels good. No need to cure or fix this aspect.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:41 am

Now and again. Usually around people and when I'm upset.

Funnily, people with Asperger's aren't supposed to do frequent motor mannerism (HFA too, but they do them a little more).

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 1:42 am

LabPet wrote:
No need to cure or fix this aspect.

I agree. I feel calm when I stim. I once recall waiting in a very long line for ages in an job seeking office (over here it's called Centre Link) and the NT's were getting really annoyed because they were not being served. And I was stimming and really intrigued by a painting on the wall. I remained calm while the others around me (including my mother) were shouting about the lack of customer service. That was the day I became fine with stimming and I no longer try to hide it from other people.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2009, 2:00 am

Quite a lot!

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 4:36 am

A lot. I'm almost always doing it one way or another, wheather I'm rocking, flapping my hands, or whatever.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 5:19 am

Constantly.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2009, 5:44 am

In the evening more, sometimes in the day but alot in company or when upset or confused by something.