Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2009, 5:44 am

In the evening more, sometimes in the day but alot in company or when upset or confused by something.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:19 am

When excited,angry, or anxious. I do lots of hand fidgeting when nervous. Usually when I see something soft then I need to touch ti and get all anxious if I cant.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:34 am

Almost constantly.

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:45 am

I don't actually stim very often, but I do this thing where I pace around. But that's only when I'm excited or anxious about something.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 7:53 am

I think I stim when I'm very worried and nervous, but I stim a lot when I'm on my own.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2009, 7:54 am

I don't keep count.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:06 am

With the ever growing realisation of what (to me) normal activities are all stims I do it a lot when I'm home. I mean, shaking your head, flapping, fiddling, rocking, jumping... that's all self-stimulation I've learnt.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 8:09 am

i "stim" when i am by myself at the end of the day.

i will define what "stimming" means to me.

it is an overflow of energy that i must spend in order to relax. it is a desire to stretch my muscles in an oscillatory way that is relieving of pent up energy.

sometimes i like to point very sharply with both my index fingers at 2 different things that are nothing in particular, and then circle my hands and point at random times to random things. i use much energy in my muscles in my arms to point like that.

i need to stim when i feel an energy building up in the back of my neck. it is like a desire to yawn, but not quite.

i do not stim in public because it looks crazy. so therefore i can not spend much time in public.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 9:57 am

Stimultuous topic

I am not always aware of stimming. A video taken of me during a mock job interview revealed that I "fidget", according to NT observers. I was advised to make a conscious effort to stop doing this during an interview process. :?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 10:53 am

I don't always notice it, but stimming occurs most often when I am in new or unplanned situations, around lots of people, or in times of high stress/anxiety/excitement.

It manifests as near-constant finger and foot tapping, progressing to occasional hand drumming and slapping, and sometimes rarely escalating to full-out arm-waving movements.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:05 am

pensieve wrote:
LabPet wrote:
No need to cure or fix this aspect.

I agree. I feel calm when I stim. I once recall waiting in a very long line for ages in an job seeking office (over here it's called Centre Link) and the NT's were getting really annoyed because they were not being served. And I was stimming and really intrigued by a painting on the wall. I remained calm while the others around me (including my mother) were shouting about the lack of customer service. That was the day I became fine with stimming and I no longer try to hide it from other people.

It does nave its uses, very useful for passing time. don't know what I would do if I had to tolerate long waits the same way an NT does, it really is something that helps, especially with me having more patience than most people.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:42 am

Padium wrote:
pensieve wrote:
LabPet wrote:
No need to cure or fix this aspect.

I agree. I feel calm when I stim. I once recall waiting in a very long line for ages in an job seeking office (over here it's called Centre Link) and the NT's were getting really annoyed because they were not being served. And I was stimming and really intrigued by a painting on the wall. I remained calm while the others around me (including my mother) were shouting about the lack of customer service. That was the day I became fine with stimming and I no longer try to hide it from other people.

It does nave its uses, very useful for passing time. don't know what I would do if I had to tolerate long waits the same way an NT does, it really is something that helps, especially with me having more patience than most people.

I wish I could think like that. But really, if people treat me they way they would treat someone with low IQ who they think needs to be spoken to in a high-pitched voice, in short sentences and a forcing nature (which is as insulting to to those of low IQ as it is to me me) or say that the behaviour is that of an insane person who needs to be restrained and locked away like an animal, then I don't see how stims are fine to do in public.

Well, maybe being freaked out by stims demands a fix. I'd like that.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 11:51 am

I'm twiddling something (usually my hair or wedding ring or rubbing my fingers with my thumbs) almost constantly. When I'm nervous I wring my hands.. but I realized the other day that I often supress it, I never really realized I do that.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Feb 2009, 12:15 pm

I stim when I'm feeling stressed - so off & on all day, when I'm at work. Since I started exercising an hour a day, stimming during non-stressful times has been reduced to almost nil. Evidently (for me, at least), vigorous exercise performs the same function as stimming.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:08 pm

I stim even in between stims.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2009, 2:19 pm

I stim quite alot, but usually if I'm excited or when I'm with friends I am comfortable with and they don't mind it, or on my own or when Im nervous.
I'm always doing something with my hands like fiddling or drumming my fingers or wringing my hands etc, I do quite a bit of bouncing my leg or if I'm on a spinny chair I go side to side on it, I've noticed the chair thing when I'm answering a question in lessons like in french I had to memorize some thing and I was just turning side to side on the spinny chair because I was nervous.
I don't usually rock but I do when standing up like I sway side to side when music is on and I paced occasionally

I am a living breathing stim machine