Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 9:19 pm

I consider myself superficially polite (e.g., holding open doors for others, etc.) but I'm not so good with the more intricate courtesies like reciprocal interactions et al. Stuff where people who know me might think I'm rude but strangers who only talk to me a little think I'm very courteous.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 10:17 pm

I am very polite, I was taught manners.

I can be rude alot too but most of the time i don't mean to.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2005, 6:02 am

I have exceptional decorum, but I can be crude when around immediate family and friends who know me.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2005, 3:39 pm

In my case, it's more trying than being.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2005, 7:31 pm

I am generally exceedingly polite. In recent years people have accused be of beiing passive-aggressive for saying please and thank you. It has left me very confused.

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2005, 7:42 pm

Mostly I am polite, or at least try to be polite.

But sometimes I am rude. That might happen if I do not feel like emulating, or if the emulation fails.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2005, 12:37 am

I suppose you could say I am programmed to be polite. I am quick to apologize, sometimes too quick, if I say or do something that I think someone might have been offended or inconvenienced by. And I'm also sometimes too quick to say please, thank you, and other such formalities.

Of course, on the other hand, sometimes I neglect to do the "proper" thing, or I do/say something inappropriate. I never intend to be rude, but sometimes it happens unintentionally.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2005, 6:31 pm

rearden wrote:
I've been working on making small talk and meeting new people. Apparently one girl I met told a friend of mine that she was interested in me at first, but then she thought that I'm "too polite" and "too nice". Go figure. Apparently you're supposed to act slightly arrogant, because others see that as confidence. Only problem is, I don't really know how to do that subtly.. If I tried being a little bit of a jerk, I'd ended up going all-out and then people would complain that I'm too rude. NT's are such a pain in the ass to deal with.

Boy is that one familiar. I totally agree. Balance just isn't our thing.

TheArtOfTheBruise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2005, 12:14 am

I don't try to be rude. I just stay quite. Sometimes my silence is taken as rudeness. Other times when I say what I feel I am considered rude.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 12:39 am

TheArtOfTheBruise wrote:
I don't try to be rude. I just stay quite. Sometimes my silence is taken as rudeness. Other times when I say what I feel I am considered rude.

:( Its a real damned if you do, damned if you don't thing with us aspies trying to fit in. More often than not I try to think of something interesting to say that won't be offensive to anyone in the immediate group, but can't quite seem to come up with anything... so I seem to just freeze up and stare straight ahead :oops:

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 5:42 am

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
TheArtOfTheBruise wrote:

:( Its a real damned if you do, damned if you don't thing with us aspies trying to fit in. More often than not I try to think of something interesting to say that won't be offensive to anyone in the immediate group, but can't quite seem to come up with anything... so I seem to just freeze up and stare straight ahead :oops:
Agreed! It's horrible how you stay silent to avoid being seen as rude, only to find out that you are being rude by staying quiet!? :? It greatly annoys me. I normally am quiet most of the time and I know that the people who expect me to talk will not like my opinions and will argue or just stare and me in disgust - something I'm not keen on.
I'm usually very polite in terms of "thanks, please" and things like that, but when it comes to manners in other ways I'm not the best. I remember at a friends house I got offered a biscuit with dip on it.. I have very very very select ways of eating, and cannot stand mixed foods, plus I don't eat alot of foods as it is... so I was offered this biscuit and I politely rejected it, only to find myself being lectured on the rudeness of rejecting food offered to you when you are a guest.. I couldn't take that at all because I was being rude simply by acting as the person I am.. :( So my manners aren't as good as they could be, but I feel I have no control over it sometimes.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 7:55 am

I like to think I am polite, because I always clear away my meal when eating at a Maccas or something, whereas many people seem to just leave their mess on the table for the staff to clean up.

That's how I determine politeness.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 3:06 pm

Astarael wrote:
I'm usually very polite in terms of "thanks, please" and things like that, but when it comes to manners in other ways I'm not the best. I remember at a friends house I got offered a biscuit with dip on it.. I have very very very select ways of eating, and cannot stand mixed foods, plus I don't eat alot of foods as it is... so I was offered this biscuit and I politely rejected it, only to find myself being lectured on the rudeness of rejecting food offered to you when you are a guest.. I couldn't take that at all because I was being rude simply by acting as the person I am.. :( So my manners aren't as good as they could be, but I feel I have no control over it sometimes.

Have had EXTREME food preferences all my life, genuinely find most food repulsive. People always gave me grief over it & would insist I was being rude on countless occasions when I refused what they pushed at me.
I consider it the height of rudeness-in fact, it's MEAN-to be cruel to someone solely on basis of food rejection. If I find distasteful what's being offered to me by others, it's not nice of them to castigate me for offending them somehow.
It's like asking me "don't you want me to slam your finger in the door ? No ? Why not ? You've hurt my feelings now, you bad person ! !!"
How dare people get so outraged at me for declining, I didn't ask to be this way & it causes me plenty of problems eating, period. I'm not obligated to induce discomfort/sickening sensations in myself, by consuming something, in order to placate someone else's fragile ego.
If I dislike a food or drink, it's idiotic for me to lie because that perpetuates the wrong idea of what I really do like, and it snowballs into a bad sitcom plot. No thanks.
Otherwise: I'm rude when I feel I've little other choice. I'm polite when I'm able. Realize that leaves a lot to be defined & I can't measure where I'd fall between the extremes.

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2005, 6:46 am

Serissa wrote:
Not very polite. I'm not -rude- but I often miss out on social cues for politeness, and I'm almost pathologically honest.

Same for me -- I practice what I've managed to internalize, but I miss all kinds of things on a more subtle level that make people think I'm either rude or very strange. And idem dito on the pathological honesty.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 4:46 pm

Very polite, but I don't apologize for or repress bodily functions unless I'm with family or avoiding social embarassment.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 8:09 pm

I try to be as polite as i possibly can. But sometimes i am unaware of some unsaid social custom, and manage to be a real ass in some peoples eyes. After i learn about that unsaid social custom, i am be very polite in that way too.