Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2009, 7:01 pm

Negative perceptions of autism/disabilties in general make up part of the problems in a lot of people's lives. It certainly has been a nuisance for me.

Kangoogle:

Quote:
How come you are on here then? Go on...

It takes two or three minutes to watch the video and flag it. Plus the comment I made was kind of tongue-in-cheek. But you are taking a rather narrow-minded view of this, no? You seem to assume that it takes a lot of time to get offended by something, when really it doesn't take appreciably longer than just watching the thing in the first place.

Then you assume that getting offended precludes any ability to solve more pressing problems. But it doesn't.

I'm on here because a) I'm autistic and it's nice to chat with people who have had experiences similar to mine, b) not all I'm doing is getting offended at silly videos and c) as I said, it doesn't actually take much time to flag a short video, so I really can deal with my life's problems as well and have some spare time, because everyone takes a break from time to time. The human body can endure only so much strain, you know.

Anyway, the video was extremely lame, all political/moral considerations aside. You can find the same sort of humour in high school. Not imaginative, original or funny at all. Plus it really is hate-speech, and people with disabilities deal with enough moronic stereotypes as it is. It's nice to see some of the trash go away, whatever the reason.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:56 pm

Ixtli wrote:
Negative perceptions of autism/disabilties in general make up part of the problems in a lot of people's lives. It certainly has been a nuisance for me.

Kangoogle:
Quote:
How come you are on here then? Go on...

It takes two or three minutes to watch the video and flag it. Plus the comment I made was kind of tongue-in-cheek. But you are taking a rather narrow-minded view of this, no? You seem to assume that it takes a lot of time to get offended by something, when really it doesn't take appreciably longer than just watching the thing in the first place.

It takes a lot longer to develop your convictions compared to applying them poorly. Plus people tend to lead their life by their convictions, if you are acting in such a manner where you blame everyone but yourself, where does that lead you.
Quote:
Then you assume that getting offended precludes any ability to solve more pressing problems. But it doesn't.

Ask any good politician. I am sure they could quickly convince you otherwise.
Quote:
I'm on here because a) I'm autistic and it's nice to chat with people who have had experiences similar to mine, b) not all I'm doing is getting offended at silly videos and c) as I said, it doesn't actually take much time to flag a short video, so I really can deal with my life's problems as well and have some spare time, because everyone takes a break from time to time. The human body can endure only so much strain, you know.

Tell me about it....
Quote:
Anyway, the video was extremely lame, all political/moral considerations aside. You can find the same sort of humour in high school. Not imaginative, original or funny at all. Plus it really is hate-speech, and people with disabilities deal with enough moronic stereotypes as it is. It's nice to see some of the trash go away, whatever the reason.

It was s**t - leave it at that. No need to give it the time of day, by doing so you and others give it legitimacy.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 12:20 am

My convictions are already in place; applying them poorly has nothing to do with it since I don't suffer from flagging a video. I don't understand what you mean by blaming everyone but myself--you seem to have left out a few steps. I believe I take things into my own hands, thanks. Was I remiss in not--I don't know--attacking my tenth grade computer science teacher when he accused me (without proof) of plagiarism *just because I have disabilities* and wouldn't give me a decent grade? That's just one example of the kind of rubbish I've dealt with despite doing good work and lifting my own weight--ignorance and presumptuousness get in the way no matter how great, responsible, heroic, hard-working or whatever you are.

I'm not a politician, so I don't have to relentlessly forward my agenda or do whatever you're hinting at. It takes me very little time to evaluate something and weigh it against my pre-existing convictions. And I can write very quickly so that's done in a few seconds too.

The point about the human body is that everyone makes time for spare time whether they admit it or not. You can't function otherwise; the body requires rest and relaxation. The overall point I'm making is that it doesn't actually take any time to find something offensive or to mark it as such. Unless you're part of PETA or something, there's always time for other things and, hey, maybe you could have a snack--some ice cream, say--while you're at it.

I agree that that video was s***, but I didn't give it much time of day except to some shadowy youtube staff member, because all I did was flag it. On here I assume most people won't think much of it other than that it's stupid anyway. Besides, didn't you call it funny earlier? I guess s*** can be funny in a crass kind of way, but I think it should at least be as funny as it is offensive. This one clearly wasn't.

Oh, and one more thing: I don't think my three-minute "moral crusade" as you call it had any effect after all; apparently the video was removed because of a copyright infringement. Which is just as well, if you ask me.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:22 am

Ixtli wrote:
My convictions are already in place; applying them poorly has nothing to do with it since I don't suffer from flagging a video.

You suffer from the reason why you flagged the video in the first place...
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by blaming everyone but myself--you seem to have left out a few steps.

Not left anything out at all - I have merely described the ideology which you are following. If you don't believe me, look at the posts and ramblings of the rest of the people who make threads like this. Do you think most of them do much more than sit around whining about the world and their lives, rather than seeking to change them.
Quote:
I believe I take things into my own hands, thanks. Was I remiss in not--I don't know--attacking my tenth grade computer science teacher when he accused me (without proof) of plagiarism *just because I have disabilities* and wouldn't give me a decent grade?

Just stupid tbh. The wise man avoids most of these situations in the first place.
Quote:
That's just one example of the kind of rubbish I've dealt with despite doing good work and lifting my own weight--ignorance and presumptuousness get in the way no matter how great, responsible, heroic, hard-working or whatever you are.

I tend to spot the idiots like that from a mile off - most of whom I tend to use as a form of sport rather than anything else.
Quote:
I'm not a politician, so I don't have to relentlessly forward my agenda or do whatever you're hinting at. It takes me very little time to evaluate something and weigh it against my pre-existing convictions. And I can write very quickly so that's done in a few seconds too.

Everyone is a politician, but my point was the difference between image and reality and that of pragmatism and ideology. When they don't square, you seem to be going for the ideological choice out of the two.
Quote:
The point about the human body is that everyone makes time for spare time whether they admit it or not. You can't function otherwise; the body requires rest and relaxation. The overall point I'm making is that it doesn't actually take any time to find something offensive or to mark it as such. Unless you're part of PETA or something, there's always time for other things and, hey, maybe you could have a snack--some ice cream, say--while you're at it.

Goodness - I never do work. I have my amusing ways of turning things I don't want to do into something else.
Quote:
I agree that that video was s***, but I didn't give it much time of day except to some shadowy youtube staff member, because all I did was flag it. On here I assume most people won't think much of it other than that it's stupid anyway. Besides, didn't you call it funny earlier? I guess s*** can be funny in a crass kind of way, but I think it should at least be as funny as it is offensive. This one clearly wasn't.

Tot up all the times you have done something like this. Then you see how much time you actually waste.
Quote:
Oh, and one more thing: I don't think my three-minute "moral crusade" as you call it had any effect after all; apparently the video was removed because of a copyright infringement. Which is just as well, if you ask me.

Copyright infringement my arse.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 1:36 am

How could I have avoided a disability-based accusation of plagiarism? Should I have deliberately done a cruddy job on the assignment?

Everything else you're saying is either presumption or projection of your own way of operating onto me. Also, you seem to be saying your vaguely defined "reality" is somehow superior to mine. But you don't know anything about me.

Do you know what people who make these posts do? Have you known them personally? What kind of sample are you using? The only evidence you've provided is your own smugness and self-satisfaction. Besides that all you've made is a bunch of assertions that seem more telling about you than about anyone else.

EDIT: Also, just what way of being are you advocating here? Are you saying that opinions/feelings/social commentaries are for fools?

And since you know so much about me, could you please describe the ideology I'm supposedly following?

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 12:48 pm

Ixtli wrote:
How could I have avoided a disability-based accusation of plagiarism? Should I have deliberately done a cruddy job on the assignment?

Realised he was a knob and gotten something on him before he did something. Usually my style of dealing with such people.
Quote:
Everything else you're saying is either presumption or projection of your own way of operating onto me. Also, you seem to be saying your vaguely defined "reality" is somehow superior to mine. But you don't know anything about me.

All your posts in this thread show that you are in the blame everyone but myself mindset. Same as the average whiner who posts a thread in the haven on here...
Quote:
Do you know what people who make these posts do? Have you known them personally? What kind of sample are you using? The only evidence you've provided is your own smugness and self-satisfaction. Besides that all you've made is a bunch of assertions that seem more telling about you than about anyone else.

Yes - lead long and miserable lives for the most part. They leave enough evidence. Now which club do you want to fit into, the average WP member or someone who takes control and therefore ends up actually leading a pretty enjoyable life.
Quote:
EDIT: Also, just what way of being are you advocating here? Are you saying that opinions/feelings/social commentaries are for fools?

Someone who has the good sense to be very selective with that social contract.
Quote:
And since you know so much about me, could you please describe the ideology I'm supposedly following?

I already have.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 1:12 pm

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. You're still speaking from your own smugness and self-satisfaction and you're insisting that everything must fit into your worldview rather than the other way around. Nor are you providing any evidence; you're just making generalized and baseless attacks on my character while assuming a (baseless again) position of moral and intellectual superiority for yourself.

In short, you seem beyond reason so I don't see any point in continuing this conversation.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 1:41 pm

Ixtli wrote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. You're still speaking from your own smugness and self-satisfaction and you're insisting that everything must fit into your worldview rather than the other way around. Nor are you providing any evidence; you're just making generalized and baseless attacks on my character while assuming a (baseless again) position of moral and intellectual superiority for yourself.

In short, you seem beyond reason so I don't see any point in continuing this conversation.

Well when you can geniunely tell me you are having your cake and eating it - feel free to come back and tell me so. My money is that you are not...

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 3:35 pm

See, that's just a dichotomy you made up. You've never adequately explained why the two need to be separate.

And just what the hell is wrong with you, telling me I should have foreseen any problems with my tenth grade computer science teacher? I didn't meet, see or hear of him before I decided to take the course, and in that school he was the only teacher available. At the time I was interested in computer science, so just what would you have me do? You might as well have said I should have installed my ESP batteries or something.

I can protest idiocies, ignorance and injustices while dealing with other issues in my life, thanks. I don't think your inability to do same has anything to do with me or, frankly, anyone else. Nor does it have much to do with pragmatism and idealism.

You didn't see the video, right? It sucked. I would have said that whether or not it was offensive. It was just some typical high school humour on a video. Not a sad loss at all.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:19 pm

Ixtli wrote:
See, that's just a dichotomy you made up. You've never adequately explained why the two need to be separate.

I told you who to ask.
Quote:
And just what the hell is wrong with you, telling me I should have foreseen any problems with my tenth grade computer science teacher? I didn't meet, see or hear of him before I decided to take the course, and in that school he was the only teacher available. At the time I was interested in computer science, so just what would you have me do? You might as well have said I should have installed my ESP batteries or something.

Simple - assume everyone is a c**t and find something on them. Not normally difficult to do. If you are smart, you can invent stuff.
Quote:
I can protest idiocies, ignorance and injustices while dealing with other issues in my life, thanks. I don't think your inability to do same has anything to do with me or, frankly, anyone else. Nor does it have much to do with pragmatism and idealism.

Obviously you are not dealing with them too well - otherwise you would be telling me how great you are doing at it. Rather than getting really angry about it.
Quote:
You didn't see the video, right? It sucked. I would have said that whether or not it was offensive. It was just some typical high school humour on a video. Not a sad loss at all.

Well it means the next time someone makes an OK video, they have some chance of people watching it.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:15 am

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Asia Northwest Cultural Education Association. A pissed robot like face instead

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:58 pm

Nice necro. It's 2009 all over again. :wink: