Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 11:57 pm

Do you think we could handle solitary confinement better than NTs? They get off on social contact in ways we know obviously that we don't. What do you all think?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:03 am

before i got shipped to a main prison i was in a police cell on my own. i know i cannot handle solitary confinement and quite frankly, there is a lot mroe to being locked up than whether or not there is another person two out with you.

i think it is a somewhat naive question you are asking.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:09 am

Depends on how long? I can handle 5-7 days at a time, but then I start wanting some contact. If I had social contact for 1/2 hour, every 3 days, I would be fine for months. I wouldn't want to do more than 6 months though, I think that would even drive me a little crazy. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:38 am

millie wrote:
before i got shipped to a main prison i was in a police cell on my own. i know i cannot handle solitary confinement and quite frankly, there is a lot mroe to being locked up than whether or not there is another person two out with you.

i think it is a somewhat naive question you are asking.

Most likely, but at the same time, I only know this stuff, based on what I've seen on TV shows, and heard about. I've never myself had that experience; you'd know better than I would; it's why I'm asking.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:41 am

I think time for self-reflection is essential for some of us. Just try it if you have the opportunity to.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:07 am

Solitary confinement? Quite frankly I'd rather be locked up together with others than being locked up alone.

I wouldn't mind being alone, but I do sincerely mind being locked up.

I'm in love with my personal freedom.

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2009, 1:15 am

I think I personally would be more stressed than an NT because I would probably be more obsessive and panicky and anxious. Not sure how other people would feel..

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:32 am

Quote:
Liresse wrote:
I think I personally would be more stressed than an NT because I would probably be more obsessive and panicky and anxious. Not sure how other people would feel..

i was. i also had massive meltdowns and flipped out at the police.
a lot of autistics invariably have higher stress and anxiety than a lot of people. also the sesnory thing - and the filth in the cells can be yucky.

and so - i reacted in a manner that was less than ladylike.
i did not bite, but i was not far from it. :lol:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:40 am

My social anxiety was so bad at the time, that I was greatful to be isolated. I argued with them when they moved me back into population. :shrug:

Those who know, don't speak.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 5:00 am

Sora wrote:
I wouldn't mind being alone, but I do sincerely mind being locked up.

I'm in love with my personal freedom.

This is why I'd prefer it if the other people were the ones being locked-up. :wink:

I would kind of be like my post-apocalypse fantasy were I'm the only survivor. 8)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:17 am

The big difference is whether it is voluntary or not, and whether there is anything to do (or whether you can manufacture something to do just by yourself.)

That is also why I am very much against seclusion rooms being used on autistic schoolchildren, but very much for such rooms being available for voluntary use. (The problem is how to keep it voluntary, obviously, not something a child would be intimidated into.)

I actually use what might be called a seclusion room when I go to college; if I'm on the verge of a meltdown I can go to the disability services office and lock myself into one of their private testing rooms.

The difference between that and being locked into my room when I was a child: The lock is on the inside. That makes all the difference.

It's not the aloneness that would bother me, but the imprisonment. Being locked in with other people would be even worse, since I wouldn't be able to get privacy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:26 am

I can stare at a wall for weeks and be perfectly happy (my brain is good at amusing itself, plus it prefers to be by itself).

Problem I would have, would be the whole forced nature of such; I'm not good with orders (I'm very, very and very oppositional to such).

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 8:32 am

i would go crazy with unspent energy that would burst me open if i was in solitary confinement.
i do not care in the slightest about communicating with people, but in solitary confinement, apparently you are not allowed any stimulus, or any means of testing your expression that you enjoy.

if i had no means to actuate my internal stimulation, then i would not be able to contain myself.

even if i was provided with all the means to test and formulate my stimulation i enjoy while in in solitary confinement, the notion of not being able to go where i please when i please would sour my appreciation of all the other thoughts i may think. to be confined would make me feel very claustrophobic. if i can not get out of somewhere i will experience panic, and not enjoy any other ideas i may be able to think.

dedhead66
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2009, 9:00 am

I'm solitary by nature, by my own choice and I love it. To have it forced on me would be intolerable. Unless I had access to "reading" material which would calm me down some.

nothingunusual wrote:
I would kind of be like my post-apocalypse fantasy were I'm the only survivor. 8)

I have that fantasy. But I have to have zombies in mine. Make it a little more interesting

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 2:09 am

Gimme the Net and a bed with a single room with ok food and water, I will live in that space!

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2009, 5:08 am

I'd be completely okay with the solitary. The confinement would be problematic for me however.