AG is the truth, the way, and just plain awesome. 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Just plain nihilism or skepticism, or at least I'm not sharing. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Oh yeah, that, I know it, but you won't believe me. 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 28

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 2:27 am

Truth isn't necessarily beautiful. Knowing the truth so you can make things better is beautiful.

It's true that if you walk off a cliff you'll probably die. There's nothing beautiful about that. But there is beauty in the fact that most of us have learned not to walk off cliffs.

For many people, this beauty of knowing about the truth comes too late. Knowing about germs has saved many lives, but germs killed many people before that. Knowing how nerves work, why they stop working when damaged, and how they might be repaired using stem cells, will probably cure paralysis within the next few decades. That is beautiful. That Sand's son died before this was possible, is not.

The beauty has to come from us. Truth is just the sword against which beauty is tested, by cutting away the false comforts. What it leaves behind, we know we can rely on. It may not be beautiful, but maybe we can use it to build something that is.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:33 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
This is how religions start. :P

Ergo, religion is good because truth is inedible, and it isn't sexy.

Truth also has no texture or odor but is frequently very funny and since religion has no sense of humor at all it cannot have a base in religion.

HA HA! You are wrong! Jewish humor exists!

Show me something amusing from any holy book, then get back to me.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:16 am

Henriksson wrote:
Show me something amusing from any holy book, then get back to me.

Ok.
Ezekiel 23:19-20 Yet she increased her whoring, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt (20) and lusted after her paramours there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose issue was like that of horses.

Proverbs 27:15 A continual dripping on a rainy day and a quarrelsome wife are alike

Exodus 16:3 and the people of Israel said to them, "Would that we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the meat pots and ate bread to the full, for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger."

1 Samuel 21:14-15 Then Achish said to his servants, "Behold, you see the man is mad. Why then have you brought him to me? (15) Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this fellow to behave as a madman in my presence? Shall this fellow come into my house?"

4 funny things, although, perhaps the first wasn't so much intentional. Still, the last 2 seem pretty intentionally humorous.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 9:26 am

truth is composed of "points".
if there were no points there would be nothing.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 4:19 pm

Truth and its relatives topic

I have always wondered about the word truth...it has that kind of foggy absolutist abstractness that worries me. I might prefer the word interpretation, or even belief, with reference to how an event/fact is viewed/understood.

Things happen, and then we have an interpretation/opinion/belief of said event. Is this personal viewpoint true? Entirely subjective. Valid? Depends how controversial it is.

My post? This is how I see it. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 5:29 pm

sartresue wrote:

I have always wondered about the word truth...it has that kind of foggy absolutist abstractness that worries me. I might prefer the word interpretation, or even belief, with reference to how an event/fact is viewed/understood.

Things happen, and then we have an interpretation/opinion/belief of said event. Is this personal viewpoint true? Entirely subjective. Valid? Depends how controversial it is.

Postmodernist! :P

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 5:47 pm

Truth to me is that which is fact as opposed to that which is fiction. I investigate and look and reject the fiction and look deeper at the facts for more fundamental precursor facts; reductionist if you like; however I also like to look for general principles about facts and see if there are any overall patterns and if they are aspects of larger principles, a more grand scheme of facts. A whole tree structure of facts. Anyone follow what I'm saying? I'm not up on the Western philosophical labels attached to philosophical methods.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 7:59 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Postmodernist! :P

Pataphysics of the PPR topic

The postmodernist has submitted me. :twisted:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 2:21 am

There are many beautiful and fascinating fantasies such as Oz, Never never land, The Lords of the Ring, Heinlein's future series, Lewis Carroll's works, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Christianity and most other religions, folk tales of little folk, fairies, elves, and honest politicians and business men and the truth about their non-existence may be dull, but never pointless.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 8:28 am

sartresue wrote:

Let S be a declarative sentence about the world. S is true if and only if the world is in a state that S asserts. Or put another way, S is true if and only if what S asserts is the case. (this definition based on Aristotle and Tarski).

ruveyn

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 9:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
Let S be a declarative sentence about the world. S is true if and only if the world is in a state that S asserts. Or put another way, S is true if and only if what S asserts is the case. (this definition based on Aristotle and Tarski).

ruveyn

The issues that can pop up are that S can be interpreted through a subjective lens, and the state of the world could also be interpreted through a subjective lens. Beyond that, referring to the unknown truth can be argued sort of pointless, because to an individual view, any S can be true, as individuals are the ones that have to deal with subjectivity, the fallibility of all of their tools of thought, and the large masses of information that could be necessary to verify a truth.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 12:08 pm

Keats wrote:
Beauty is truth, and truth beauty...

In the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy, there's a part where Adams defines the Guide's stance that "where it's got things wrong, they are definitively wrong." The grieving families of a number of tourists sued the Guide in Galactic Court because due to a typo, the Guide said that "the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal often makes a very good meal for visiting tourists" rather than "the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal often makes a very good meal of visiting tourists."

The Guide's attorney claimed that beauty was truth, truth beauty, and that the former sentence was the more beautiful and therefore the more true, and Life had got it wrong.

"The judge concurred, and in a moving statement held that Life itself was in contempt of court, and duly confiscated it from all those present before going on to enjoy a pleasant evening's ultragolf."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Mar 2009, 9:56 am

i would like to know the truth. im shure its out there, people just need to stop looking for it

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 10:57 am

richardbenson wrote:
i would like to know the truth. im shure its out there, people just need to stop looking for it

Of course. No sense in finding the truth when we all have such interesting fantasies to enjoy.

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2009, 5:25 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
...so thus we're making the argument that truth ultimately equates to faith in the end? Curious.

M.

Actually yes, I am very skeptical towards the claims made by various epistemologies on what is true. Part of this was also an overblown rant where I got to say the term "orgasm".

You don't need a reason to say orgasm. 8)

I don't know what truth is, but I know I can't handle it. I can't handle the truth.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 7:11 am

Quote:
I don't know what truth is, but I know I can't handle it. I can't handle the truth.

Maybe you know the truth, but can't handle it? :scratch: