AG is the truth, the way, and just plain awesome. 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Just plain nihilism or skepticism, or at least I'm not sharing. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Oh yeah, that, I know it, but you won't believe me. 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 28

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:45 am

The fact that my nephew is now gone has definitely altered my perception of what personal meaning of truth means to each person.

Truth is, I want him back but there's just no way that's going to happen.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 24 Mar 2009, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:48 am

Pardon, but I am not confused; apparently I am not explaining what I mean clearly, and for that I am sorry. Their experiences are horrible, this I do not argue at all. These experiences shape who they are, and they as people are beautiful, which by proxy imbues a beauty to even the horrors of this world. Your reaction has never been a part of my point, other than we can choose to focus on one aspect of it or another.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:57 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Pardon, but I am not confused; apparently I am not explaining what I mean clearly, and for that I am sorry. Their experiences are horrible, this I do not argue at all. These experiences shape who they are, and they as people are beautiful, which by proxy imbues a beauty to even the horrors of this world. Your reaction has never been a part of my point, other than we can choose to focus on one aspect of it or another.

M.

What I am trying to convey is that you must put some sort of brackets on something to judge it. The characters of myself, my son and my wife are separate from that which we experienced which is a truth that is in no way beautiful. On your basis you might say the Holocaust was beautiful because it gave the Jews the moral high ground which gave them access to Israel but that "beauty" has led them into current behavior which I cannot characterize as beautiful. Life is a series of continuous interlocked events and if one is to judge them sensibly one must decide how to separate them.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:58 am

More like perception which I resort to even though it may not be of any importance to any based claim "fact" and that is......"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."__Viktor Frankl

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 2:36 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
You cannot eat truth, and if you could it probably wouldn't taste good.

Truth will never pleasure you in the same way as a member of the attractive sex could.

Truth has no necessary relationship to happiness, and some have even implied that it stands against happiness.

Truth is not soft or warm, in fact, it has no physical characteristics by virtue of it being a non-physical entity.

Truth is sometimes considered unknown, in which case, everything I said could be wrong and truth is a delicious, edible organism of warm, soft happiness.

However, I don't care that truth is a delicious, edible organism of warm, soft happiness, and that is because I am on a debate forum, and people on a debate forum are as far away from truth as any conceivable being.

Ergo, let us debate nothing, and claim it is something.

This is how religions start. :P

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:02 am

Henriksson wrote:

Ergo, religion is good because truth is inedible, and it isn't sexy.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:12 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Truth also has no texture or odor but is frequently very funny and since religion has no sense of humor at all it cannot have a base in religion.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:19 am

Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Truth also has no texture or odor but is frequently very funny and since religion has no sense of humor at all it cannot have a base in religion.

HA HA! You are wrong! Jewish humor exists!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:49 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

HA HA! You are wrong! Jewish humor exists!

Aah Jewish! Even the Jews cannot agree what Jewish is. Jewish humor, apart from Jewish religion is something cultural like German humor, Irish humor, New York humor, sex humor, etc., etc. Nothing to do with religion and if you went into a Jewish temple and demonstrated how funny all those little ceremonies Jews practice to conform to their religion I doubt you would raise many laughs. Religion, like any other totalitarian discipline, sees humor as blasphemy and rewards it with torture or disdain or, as with the Muslims, frequently, death.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:55 am

Sand wrote:
Aah Jewish! Even the Jews cannot agree what Jewish is. Jewish humor, apart from Jewish religion is something cultural like German humor, Irish humor, New York humor, sex humor, etc., etc. Nothing to do with religion and if you went into a Jewish temple and demonstrated how funny all those little ceremonies Jews practice to conform to their religion I doubt you would raise many laughs. Religion, like any other totalitarian discipline, sees humor as blasphemy and rewards it with torture or disdain or, as with the Muslims, frequently, death.

Neither Jews nor anyone else can give a verbal definition of Jewish Humor that captures it adequately. However Jews know what Jewish Humor is by virtue of their upbringing and associations. Even non-Jews have an intuitive grasp of Jewish Humor which is why gentiles laugh their arses off when amused by Jewish comedians.

Sample: What is green, hangs on a wall and whistles?
Answer: A red herring.
But, you say, a red herring doesn't hang on a wall. So nail it to the wall
But, you say, a red herring isn't green. So paint it green.
But, you say, it doesn't whistle. Big deal, so it doesn't whistle.

I might point out the the same is true of Italian Humor, Greek Humor, even Black Humor. The only thing that is not possible is Russian Humor. That is oxymoronic.

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:35 pm

AG...What is this strange description you have posed of truth? I could not help but smile to know you view truth to be a warm fuzzy. I have always heard it to be cold and hard.

You already know my vote... :wink:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:57 pm

Hmmm, orgasm? I wonder if fake orgasms count, I mean, they would be true to me as long as I never acknowledge if they are actually real or not.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:08 pm

Truth IS a delicious, edible orgasm of warm, soft happiness! only when I am in a position of power over a certain population, then I can shape and model the truth however I please, according to my needs, demands and convenience, and the truth shall remain the truth under my reign.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 6:13 pm

Sand wrote:
Irish humor

Where is this Irish humor you speak of?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 11:52 pm

twoshots wrote:
Sand wrote:
Irish humor

Where is this Irish humor you speak of?

http://www.beaverislandrealty.com/html/some_humor.htm

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 2:27 am

Truth isn't necessarily beautiful. Knowing the truth so you can make things better is beautiful.

It's true that if you walk off a cliff you'll probably die. There's nothing beautiful about that. But there is beauty in the fact that most of us have learned not to walk off cliffs.

For many people, this beauty of knowing about the truth comes too late. Knowing about germs has saved many lives, but germs killed many people before that. Knowing how nerves work, why they stop working when damaged, and how they might be repaired using stem cells, will probably cure paralysis within the next few decades. That is beautiful. That Sand's son died before this was possible, is not.

The beauty has to come from us. Truth is just the sword against which beauty is tested, by cutting away the false comforts. What it leaves behind, we know we can rely on. It may not be beautiful, but maybe we can use it to build something that is.