Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blahbla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2010, 9:01 am

I'm obsessed with poplock. I'm trying to learn it but it's actually really hard especially with my dyspraxia but I'm not giving up. Plus stuff like this just makes my jaw drop

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUWAY8RNWGw[/youtube]

space_cadett
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2010, 6:55 pm

I'm maybe kind of uncommon, I love to dance and I have a good sense of rhythm. Not any kind of dance especially but just to music in general. I always did as a kid. It's a great excuse when you end up being at a club not to talk to anyone. It's so freeing. I need a few drinks first though, or to be at home dancing alone. I'm not good at anything technical with lots of steps but people are always surprised when they see me dance. The only thing is I find I get really into the rhythm and start moving my arms a little too, which gets in others' way, so I have to careful of that.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 7:48 pm

I was in ballet as a child which really helped with my dyspraxia

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 2:13 am

I've always wanted to learn to dance (swing or ballroom), but never had anyone to learn with and didn't want to do it alone. I do like to frolick around my apartment in a manner which vaguely resembles dancing, though. :D

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 12:54 pm

Kaybee wrote:
I've always wanted to learn to dance (swing or ballroom), but never had anyone to learn with and didn't want to do it alone. I do like to frolick around my apartment in a manner which vaguely resembles dancing, though. :D

That's how I got into salsa rueda - my husband doesn't like to dance, and I hadn't enjoyed the classes I'd tried in which you dance individually. Rueda was perfect because I didn't need to bring a partner but was still dancing with other people.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 6:18 pm

willaful wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

That's how I got into salsa rueda - my husband doesn't like to dance, and I hadn't enjoyed the classes I'd tried in which you dance individually. Rueda was perfect because I didn't need to bring a partner but was still dancing with other people.

I'm not familiar with rueda. Thanks for the tip!

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 1:45 am

Here's a video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72wx7Uj ... re=related

Where I dance, we are by no means all so young, cute and stylish. :lol:

The words underneath are the names of the calls - how you know which move to do. Most of what they're doing is actually relatively simple, though it looks flashy.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 2:08 am

willaful,

Can't say I care for the music, but it looks like fun! I enjoy some twirling and wiggling. ^_^

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 9:26 am

That was not typical music, IME... I have heard that song before in my DDR game but never for salsa dancing.

It took me a little while to learn to like Latin music, but now just the sound of it makes me happy. Old style "Son" is particularly beautiful, very languourous and elegant.

Kady93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2010, 7:17 pm

I took beginning ballet in my freshmen year to help with my jazz. Now as a junior, I'm taking Intermediate Jazz B/C. Its a lot of fun, but I really need more practice with my fuotes(spelling?)

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 9:46 pm

If I could I would. It just seems unnatural and foreign to me. Dancing can help you move more fluidly. Really, all I end up doing is bouncing around. :bounce:

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2010, 1:25 pm

I love dancing, dance every day at home, used to work as a podium (nightclub) dancer, dancing makes me happy :)

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

I've been practicing Michael Jackson moves for a year now. I go to raves occasionally. Those are more fun than I thought they would be. I started out really bad, but as my confidence grew, so did my dancing skills. I used to be afraid of dancing, but it was actually more a fear of all eyes on me. My stage fright isn't so bad anymore.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 6:20 pm

I learned ballroom starting in my mid 20s and competed for years. My user avatar is from a show my wife and I did.

Ballroom provided a very structured social environment that was very good for helping me learn how to interact with other people socially. It also provided plenty of material to feed an obsession about learning it.

BasilofBakerStreet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2010, 8:35 pm

As a performer I of course danced. I was in a production of Disney's Aida which required African style dancing. And slight break dancing. I also did CATS recently. Even though that porduction's cheorgphy was simpler.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:05 am

I am OBSESSED with dance.I started studying ballet at age 6, and did until my mid twenties.I am terribly shy with dancing in public but this Halloween overcame it and danced in the street to my favorite reggae band. I read anything and watch anything to do with ballet; I did go to a tango class once,but did not like 50 year old men hitting on me,so I stopped that. I love dance but mostly do it on my own as I cannot handle clubs and crowds. I dance at least a few times a week on my own,it makes me so happy.