Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Neon304
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 9:52 pm

Hey, my name's Dale, I'm 19, live in Georgia and I plan to attend Full Sail University in Winter Park Florida this fall. So, I was on Smash Brawl Rankings, a website for the game Super Smash Bros Brawl, where there are some community issues going on. To be honest , for the most part its because a few people have been taking a few things the wrong way, myself being one of those. We haven't really meant to cause problems, its mostly like I said, us taking things the wrong way. A friend of mine on that site, who actually seems to be behind a lot of the problems made a thread explaining how he had aspergers, when it hit me. I wasn't alone. Until then I always thought I was different than everyone, and I never really thought to look up anything on aspergers, heck, I wasn't really even sure I had it since I have never been diagnosed. On that note, while going through school we always knew I had something, nobody really knew what it was, I was different. It wasn't until the 7th grade that anyone even suggested aspergers, and looking at the symptoms, it was the only thing anyone had suggested that really seemed to fit. I'm not sure what happened after that, but I never got to talk to that counselor again. I know she was still there, but she went around to different schools, and I never knew when to look for her. After doing more research, I'm now about 90% sure aspergers is what is wrong with me. In the process of looking up info, I found WrongPlanet, and now here I am. After reading a few threads, and hearing about how people are dealing with some of the same problems I have, I don't feel so scared to go to college. Don't get me wrong, it still scares me, but now, knowing there are others out there dealing with this, makes me feel more confident. This may be adding another step to getting ready, but its one that should help, not just for college life, but for life period. :)

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, Neon304!

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 10:32 pm

Pleasure to meet you Dale. Be VERY careful how many college loans you take out - focus on the job after graduation, not the degree. Never try drugs. Stay away from alcohol and tobacco sucking losers.

BobTheMartian
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2009, 2:39 am

And don't eat yellow snow, or piss on the electric fence. Look both ways before you cross the street. Never say never. The cake is a lie.

Brawl is a great game; I'll play with you any time! I confess I haven't played in a while, but back in the day I used to really tear up the scoreboards online. (Yeah, I was a Sonic player :P)

In my experience there is a lot less to be afraid of in University than High School; you're much freer to choose your own path and keep to yourself. You're judged less, far more anonymous, and the social/peer pressures that exist in high school are virtually nonexistent. Just keep your wits about you, stay on top of things and most importantly, recognize your limitations and plan ahead for your needs and you'll do just fine. This board is great for finding people to relate to who can share pertinent advice with you. Think of what you're realizing now as the first chapter of the rest of your life. It can only get better from here on out.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 10:57 am

Welcome aboard Wrong Planet, Dale. And all the WP best to you at Full Sail University this coming fall.