Language development words vs sentences

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

My (non-echolalic) language development...
started with single words at or before age 11 months 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
started with sentences at or before age 11 months 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
started with single words between 12 - 24 months 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
started with sentences between 12 - 24 months 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
started with single words between 25 months - age 4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
started with sentences between 25 - 36 months 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
started with sentences between 37 months - age 4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
started with single words at or after age 5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
started with sentences at or after age 5 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I only want to see the results 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:06 am

Read first.

The question:

Did you start talking in single words (e.g. "mama" "ball" "car") or skipped the single-words episode and started talking in sentences (e.g. "give ball" "the cat is dead") right away? Echolalia doesn't count.

So, I don't want to know that you moved on to talking in sentences eventually. I want to know whether your very first talking was in single words or in sentences.
If you said one or more sentences and then reverted to single words (that you didn't use previously) count that as 'started with sentences'.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:26 am

Sora wrote:
Read first.

The question:

Did you start talking in single words (e.g. "mama" "ball" "car") or skipped the single-words episode and started talking in sentences (e.g. "give ball" "the cat is dead") right away? Echolalia doesn't count.

So, I don't want to know that you moved on to talking in sentences eventually. I want to know whether your very first talking was in single words or in sentences.
If you said one or more sentences and then reverted to single words (that you didn't use previously) count that as 'started with sentences'.

My mother SWEARS I started with sentences, by 10 or 11 months. Given my early attitude with trying things, I can believe it.

She even told me a sentence that I said around age 14mo. It was 7 words(8 if you count contractions!). I guess I was more positive back then. I think I even remember that time. I was in the hospital for a hernia, and my mother said the nurses talked to me a lot and liked me. :lol:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:32 am

Soon after I turned a year old, I started speaking in sentences. I did babble before that, though, but apparently I jumped straight from random sounds to sentences. I don't think I made up the sentences by myself at first; they must have been mostly repeated from what I'd heard before, especially from my mom talking to me, but they were used appropriately so nobody worried. Atypical development, but functional. Works as well as the typical sort, in my mind. I eventually started using longer and longer sentences, but if I ever used single words, the period of time I did it was too short to show up in my mom's baby books.

My speech only really took off when I learned to read! When that happened, I ended up with the usual pedantic sort of speech that sounds like you're reading aloud, and I had a lot more flexibility. I guess it was at that point--four years old, approximately--that I figured out that words were discrete entities by themselves rather than parts of larger expressions that you said in various circumstances. I still have some scripted stuff, but that's only because it's easier to use than making up your own every time you need that identical meaning.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 11:05 am

My mother thinks that I started speaking (single words) at six months of age. I was speaking in sentences well before 18 months. I always have been very verbal.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 11:12 am

I would have to ask my mom first.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 7:35 pm

Sentences at 4 1/2 as far as current understanding goes.

I got my foot caught in the chain of a bike as my sister doubled me; the floodgates opened in the doctor's office. "'Eyes not going to die?'" were my first words.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2009, 7:40 pm

I'm not sure when I started speaking, to be honest, but I was more of a parrot, xD.
I'd constantly say, 'Where's the ball?' but didn't actually have a clue what it meant. Presumably a relative came up to me with a ball and was playing a game and repetitively said 'Where's the ball', like people do to babies xD. I probably won't condone speaking to babies like that if I ever have one or have a close friend who has one when I'm older :p.
EMZ=]

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm

i didnt start speaking full sentences until i was around 8ish, and to this day i dont speak in full sentences entirely, i skip over words, and sentences like im going to the mall become go mall almost like im speaking in ASL lol. Or my words such as i need to go to sleep, will sound like needle sweep lol, idk but in my brain im saying need to go to sleep, what comes out my mouth idk lol, entirely different world down there lol.