Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2009, 4:51 pm

Anyone else?...

I avoid sharp sunlight because it hurts my eyes, so when I'm outside I tend to be in shadows.
When I'm inside i prefer dimmed light in the evening.

I'm around a computer almost all the time, and when I am, I have to turn the light on the monitors down.
My 2x ASUS 22" TFT Monitors I have for my home computer have these great profiles you can edit, and a single standard one.
Most of the times I use the mode called "Night View Mode" which I editted for getting it even darker.
They still have a really great picture and a good contrast though. I'm only using "Scenery Mode" (standard) when watching movies.
And even then I sometimes have to use "Night View Mode".

So I just wanted to hear if anyone else are light-sensitive, and what you do to avoid too much light.

---
BTW... I can't stand (!) CRT monitors. They flicker like crazy (even at 100 hz), they make this painful sound, they can't get really dark, and they can never get as good a picture as TFTs.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

My light sensitivity increases with age. Things I do to avoid too much light:

-- Always wear sunglasses outdoors
-- Wear a baseball cap indoors in the brighter rooms
-- Avert my eyes from bright flashing lights
-- Work in a darkened room at home and cover the window with not only a blind but a dark robe
-- Not have all bulbs replaced in my room when they blow

I don't feel able to function as well in the daytime, but am fine in the evenings after sunset. It could be related to the light.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 5:32 pm

I also have light sensitivity but it don't bothers me much. During the day when I'm walking in the street I usually walk looking down so I can avoid the light of the day. That is the only change in my behaviour due to light sensitivity.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 5:51 pm

I always wear sunglasses outside and I have dark, thick drapes at my windows. I prefer having many dimmer lights scattered around the room as the powerful ones hurt my eyes.

Holinyx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2009, 6:10 pm

i wear dark wrap-around goggles. I sometimes use them when driving at night. i went to walmart and bought the darkest non see though cloth i could find and covered my windows. i've been known to put a piece of this material on my drivers side window during the day. i can't stand direct sunlight. my wife is often pissed at me because she can't stand being in the house and always wants to be gone all day on the weekends. i look outside, see no clouds. and say, no way i'm going! it causes lots of problems for me but i can't help it.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2009, 6:19 pm

I generally wear sunglasses outside, and my "normal" glasses have those (expensive!) "reactions" lenses that are supposed to cut down the amount of light recieved outside. Unfortunatly, they do not work in cars, so I have to wear sunglasses for driving. Most of the lights in the house are pretty dim, and the settings on monitors etc. are usually turned down a little. Flashing lights are bad!
In summer, I generally add a baseball cap before leaving the house, and try to stay in the shade, since I burn really easily as well.
It's really rather annoying, but the methods above work quite well for me.

ZodRau
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2009, 8:11 pm

Ravenchild wrote:
I generally wear sunglasses outside, and my "normal" glasses have those (expensive!) "reactions" lenses that are supposed to cut down the amount of light recieved outside. Unfortunatly, they do not work in cars, so I have to wear sunglasses for driving.

Apparently that problem has been solved with an even more expensive lens I found while looking for an all around solution for my own light sensitivitity.
http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8

I'm not completely sold on the idea though because they go to clear indoors. Ideally, I'd have lenses that are somewhat tinted to begin with.

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2009, 9:08 pm

Hmm, interesting!
I will have to bug my optician about it next time I see him! Maybe they will take the whole light-sensitive thing more seriously if I wave diagnostic paperwork at them....
Generally-tinted lenses would help, but are a nighmare for photography!
Am supposed to research coloured lenses for reading, etc., so might see what other options are avaliable.
Bet they're all expensive!

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 9:34 pm

All of us on WP are probably light-sensitive. I know I am. What I do is wear polarized sunglasses. I prefer brown lenses over other colors, since they're not too dark (making them good for wearing inside as well), and they greatly improve definition. The polarization negates the glare, allowing me to have fun outside during the day.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 9:42 am

I am light sensitive. I have the brightness and contrast settings both dialed down to 12, and on my Word Pad on differant websites the background is grey with purple letters. The fluorescent bulb that I have in my room is unusual; instead of getting one that shines white, I must have gotten a defective one that shines pink. But it works for me, because during the day it is enough light in a dim room.

I don't mind sunlight, but I hate regular fluorescent bulbs because they are way too bright. Also I don't like white LEDs either, as they are bright and I can see the flicker they make.

I like night better then day. :D

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 1:37 pm

I am sensitive to sunlight and I'm always squinting. I am sensitive to torches in my eyes or camera flashes.
Somehow my light sensitivites make things like discos or clubs more enjoyable as the strobes are more intense that creates a feel of aw and amazement and I could stare at club lights all day.

Huskywolf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2009, 1:55 pm

I wear sunglasses and in my room my curtains are made of thick, dark-colored fabric that blocks the light really well. I have a ceiling fan with one dim lightbulb in it (instead of the three it's supposed to have) for when I need light at night. I also have a sort of flashlight thing that I can change the brightness on to be dim.

HungarianWitch

09 Apr 2009, 2:21 pm

- I always have my curtains closed (which are made of a dark red fabric)
- I never go out without my sunglasses and sunblock.
- I try to avoid leaving my room as much as possible
- sunlight hurts my eyes really bad
- My skin rashes and gets red when I stay in the sun for too long....

Summary: Sun kills me.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2009, 2:45 pm

I have heavy dark curtains covering my window with a dark wool blanket hanging over the curtain as well.

Sunny days gives me headaches... I like overcast days, epecially days when it is a light rain, or misty and foggy... My favorite kind of weather.... No direct sunlight, a bit brihterthan twilight and humid.

When outside, I noticed that I unconciously seek out areas of shade.... When I am walking down trails, I prefer trails with heavy vegetation, such as a stand of trees and such that blocks out direct sunlight. I tan when I am in the sun, my skin takes to it well but my eyes do not. I tan like my mother who is part cherokee and chippewa although my dad is very fair and burns in the sun.

I have those transition lenses that do help somewhat, instead of getting a headache within an hour of being in sunlight, it is more like 3 hours... Wearing a hat with a brim and the sun high in the sky, I can last most of the day outside until the sun is low in the sky...

Worse time of the day, morning or evening.... best time of the day, after the sun has set and the sky is getting dark.... stirs up emotions within... the shadows get longer, shade of grey creep all around as the bright daylight fades into twilight... some times it gets my adrenaline pumping.

Suppose I am a creature of the night, like many others here but just dont know it.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 2:57 pm

Flismflop wrote:
All of us on WP are probably light-sensitive.

I'm not light-sensitive. :) :idea: :sunny:
Don't have many sensory issues.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2009, 3:30 pm

well idk im kinda weird i actually like the light on during the day and i get yelled at for wasting electricity but it makes me happier idk darkness depresses me.
but i really hate flourescent lights especially at school its awful and not enough sleep bothers me and my eyes will water bad.
oh and when i was little i remember i did alot of plays and i was the only one whose eyes would be bothered by the spotlights that it looks like i was crying.