Are many people misdiagnosed with Asperger's?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

I definitely agree that you can adapt and improve with practice, especially social skills. If you don't practice you cannot get better. It's the same with anything though because the more you do something the easier it becomes

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:10 pm

I feel like I've been misdiagnosed. I seem to have ALL the symptoms of social anxiety and anxiety disorder in general. I've always been able to read most emotions and thoughts through body language, facial expressions and tone of voice. My innocence as a child was average, like I knew how to lie if I didn't want to be told off about something or whatever other reason the average child lies about. I played with toys like how an average child plays, with no strange repetitiveness like lining toys up obsessively, etc. I didn't have significant special interests, I was only into what my peers were into, but never overly obsessed, just average peer interests. And I never stimmed either.

So I don't know why they slapped on a diagnosis of Asperger's when I was only 8. I feel like it's not accurate, especially knowing that I missed a lot of typical Asperger's symptoms as a child and also I was a girl, and I heard that a lot of girls get misdiagnosed anyway. It was ever since I was diagnosed with Asperger's that my social approval from the other kids decreased, and Asperger's was drummed into my so much that I got singled out a lot and just ended up acting more like an Aspie because I started believing it, and somehow my label got blabbed to all the other kids in my class and they acted like Asperger's was AIDS or something, and they started avoiding me. That made me feel insecure about myself, which then led to more social rejection later on. It was all a vicious circle. I don't think I would have had all that s**t happen to me through school if I didn't have some sh***y diagnosis slapped on me so early.