California clinic to treat autistic adults

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 3:03 pm

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1738577.html

(Yes, it's full of popup ads.) Finally, somebody is shifting from the idea that only cute little white boys get autism. Maybe they should ask WP forum posters how people with autism deal with being 35 or 45.

reddingcal
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2009, 3:12 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1738577.html

(Yes, it's full of popup ads.) Finally, somebody is shifting from the idea that only cute little white boys get autism. Maybe they should ask WP forum posters how people with autism deal with being 35 or 45.

I really resent that too. There are young aspies and old aspies of both sexes. There are also Aspies from every racial and ethnic group.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 9:30 pm

I saw the thread title and thought "What kind of treats? Chocolate cake??"

I really don't like the word "treatment" - it suggests we need to be fixed to be made more presentable. How about helped with the things we have problems with? You know, like the independent living centers?

I haven't followed the link. I'm not sure I want to know. Someone, let me know if it's safe to look.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 4:06 am

^ Yes, it's quite safe to look. They mainly focus on how much information is lacking on adult outcomes and how there are huge gaps in services for them. They even acknowledge this: "As many as half the people with autism also have some level of mental retardation. But there is speculation the numbers may be skewed because IQ tests can rely heavily on language skills."

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2009, 9:19 am

Overall, the article is a step forward. But the approach seems to depend on the assumption that autism is actually increasing: "When Chez was in medical school in the 1980s, he was taught to expect autism in about one child in 10,000. Now it's about one in 150. That means that the majority of people with autism today haven't grown up yet – and little is known about what their lives will be like when they do."

It seems clear that there are plenty of adults on the spectrum, many of whom have never been officially diagnosed. It's still up for debate, but the evidence seems to indicate that the growing numbers of autistics is due mostly to awareness and increased attention to diagnosis. "Most of the people with autism in California are 3 to 18 years old," I doubt that.

One problem I have with the article, is that it's unclear whether it refers only to people who fit the diagnostic criteria for autism, or whether Asperger's is included.