Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 12:01 am

I'm pretty sure this is an aspie thing. I have the abililty to specialize in just about anything, if I am interested. This would be tied in with aspie obsessions, except that you have the desire, and ability, to master the area of interest. When I find something that I'm really passionate about, I have a need to know everything about it. This doesn't apply to all of my interests, but once in a while I'll come across something that I need to know everything about, to the point of mastery. I'll pursue it relentlessly until I am satisfied that I know more than most. Then, once I feel I have achieved mastery, I get bored and start looking for a next obsession. Anyone else do this?

Those who know, don't speak.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 5:29 am

That is a very common attribute and one reason the 'little professor' label some applied to Aspies in the past.

Monsoon77
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2009, 6:09 am

There are just somethings that i just simply cannot get into. Math, Chemistry, Physics. I hate numbers so anything dealing with numbers is usually my kryptonite.

Belgium
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2009, 8:43 am

Yes, I get the same sort of thing. Radiation, flight, aerodynamics, phsycology, internal combustion engines, jet turbine engines, gearboxes, the list goes on and on AND ON AND ON. And just like you, I'm absolutley fascinated until I know everything I can understand.

The only problem is that I prefer learning about random stuff to learning about the things I need for my A levels......

dan

millie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 1:29 pm

Quote:
jawbrodt wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is an aspie thing. I have the abililty to specialize in just about anything, if I am interested. This would be tied in with aspie obsessions, except that you have the desire, and ability, to master the area of interest. When I find something that I'm really passionate about, I have a need to know everything about it. This doesn't apply to all of my interests, but once in a while I'll come across something that I need to know everything about, to the point of mastery. I'll pursue it relentlessly until I am satisfied that I know more than most. Then, once I feel I have achieved mastery, I get bored and start looking for a next obsession. Anyone else do this?

yes...and then a switch inside flicks...and the orgasmic experience and intensity is gone...and i wander off to find another one.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

millie wrote:
Quote:
jawbrodt wrote:

yes...and then a switch inside flicks...and the orgasmic experience and intensity is gone...and i wander off to find another one.

That describes me perfectly.

Like Dan said, what I become obsessed about isn't something that I can usually find useful in my day to day life. :roll: Unless of course, my son finds it suddenly interesting to study 16th century England. Then we're good to go. I don't see that ever happening though. :lol: