Anyone here ever go on a cruise by themself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:05 am

I've always wanted to go on a cruise and I see that there are some great rates right now, the problem is that I don't have anyone to go with. Would I enjoy it by myself? Would I be referred to as that creepy guy on the ship who's all by himself? :)

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 3:09 am

I have no idea whether you would enjoy it, because I don't know you. (If I knew you it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just go with you. Hehe.)

You definitely wouldn't be seen as creepy just for being alone, though. Plenty of people go on cruises alone.

If you want advice on cruising, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to help you as much as I can.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 7:17 am

Yeah, I agree with dougn. You wouldn't be seen as the creepy guy at all.

Dinners have you sitting at a group table so you don't have the choice of sitting off by yourself and you eat with the same group for the entire cruise. But there's usually lots of other food options elsewhere on the ship if you don't feel like being social and doing a formal dinner.

There's group tours if you're interested. I found them really informative and it also made sure I didn't get lost and miss getting back on the ship in time for departure.

You'll pay a higher room rate if you're travelling alone. But if you can afford to do it, I say go for it. Cruising is a great experience. :)

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm

You will become a creepy guy if you see yourself as one, If I would go I'd see myself as the loner who just wanted to get away and be by him self. No probs, go cruise. :)

:::)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Apr 2009, 5:23 pm

i think you should go, who cares if you dont have a partner to join you. i'd go and act a fool onboard. (anything goes at sea :wink: ) so go for it :)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 6:03 pm

Bataar wrote:
Would I be referred to as that creepy guy on the ship who's all by himself? :)

LOL

I went on a ferry ride from Ireland to Wales once with a bunch of other kids who were my age at the time. However, I thought they were all a bunch of snobs, so I stayed by myself for most of the time. It wasn't nearly as long of a ride as a cruise might be, though, but I kept myself entertained. They had two restuarants, a play area, a gift shop, and a movie theater all on that ferry! 8O

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:00 am

I realize this is a long-gone thread, but I'm going through a situation that fits the topic perfectly. I'm actually planning to take a cruise solo (more politically correct than "alone") this spring. Carnival Cruises, the line I'll be using, is quite good at accommodating solo travelers, from what I heard. They sit them together in the dining room, and there are plenty of social activities, such as organized sports games on the lido deck and dance classes in the nightclub (I'm a good dancer, so that'll give me "leverage" in meeting women). So while I expect to do at least some things by myself, I don't expect to feel lonely 100% of the time. Plus, since I smoke and the smoking areas on Carnival's ships are quite limited, enjoying a cigarette while looking at a pitch-black sky full of stars provides a wonderful mingling opportunity.

Now, being a budget cruise line, Carnival makes up for the low fares by giving you the prison shower treatment when it comes to things like alcohol, on-board merchandise, and shore excursions. That's bit of a downer, but I'll just bite the bullet and adjust my vacation budget for high alcohol and excursion prices. I'm choosing Carnival for its fun atmosphere, and the respectful and accommodating treatment of solo travelers.