Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2009, 2:29 pm

Short People, you have to pick them up, just to say "hello"!

Don't you guys know the song from 1977? Video here on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

This is the author in the video, explaining the song as he sings.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 4:14 pm

I should tell you about dream that I had about living with some aliens on their planet. They come to collect me in their spaceship. The spaceship was about the size of a large suitcase, so they had to shrink me down to their size, I may have had the dream as a result of watching the Simpsons where Lisa got shrunk by a race of miniature humans. The aliens gave me the option of choosing whether I am shrunk down to their average size or a 6ft tall equivalent. I really want to be the same size as the average alien as I had already everything in common with me already; however, I only choose the 6ft tall equivalent because it may give me a small advantage with their women.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2009, 1:30 pm

My younger brother is near your height, about 5'7". He has a very beautiful wife who is also 1/2 cherokee. She is about ~5'5"...

I have yet to meet a woman that is taller than me. I once met a gal who was 6'4"...

I also find that my size and height intimidate people as well.

It is like that short people make up their lack of height by their more aggressive or outgoing personality. I worked with a number of short guys, (5'1" to 5'5") and most of them had a noticable personality.... like a pomeranian dog... although small, there is a lot of dog in that little body of theirs...

solinoure
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2009, 11:29 pm

I had a therapist who explained to me that the height of a man was analogus to the bust of a woman.
The obsessions, the insecurities, everything were the same. Smaller breasted women had the same mental issues over their breast size as short men over their height and likewise with larger breasted women and tall men.

Given this, when women say they they don't care about height in man - I believe them. I really don't care about breast size. If the girl is happy with what she has, I'm happy. What I don't want is to hear her whine on and on about the size of her boobs.

I'm 6'4". I can't can't fit into the back seat of a car. Heck, I can't fit comfortably into most cars. Most furniture is made for small people, do you know how many chairs I have broken by just sitting in them? And the number of times I have bumped my head because all the light fixtures are hung so low? How about counters, if I want to do the dishes or work at most counters, the end result is a pain in my back and neck because they are placed low for short people. So short people whine and b***h and moan about your height, but the whole world is built for people your height to the point that I am handicapped because of it. And do we tall people get any consideration for this? No! we are expected to suck it up because we are so "blessed". What ever!

You short people get mad and feel that you have to make up for this percieved disadvantage. You get agressive with us big people - you verbally abuse us and humiliate us because we are tall. We are tall and you take advantage of us, because you know we can't fight you. Even if the little guy starts the fight, the big guy gets arrested. The big guy is looked down on for beating up on the short guy if he wins the fight, and if he loses, then he is double the loser. Its a dirty trick and you should be ashamed of it.

I'm going to stop now - this is one of my peaves and I don't wanna breeak any forum rules...

...and OP, 5'8" is just below average, in the USA - you are not short. If you are told that you are not wanted because of your height, either the person is superficial or its a white lie...

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2009, 11:37 pm

Knowing next to nothing else about the guy, women will consider tallness, as a measure of good looks I guess. But I think if a woman knows other stuff about the guy and finds him a good match, height isn't as big a deal. My little sis may be taller than her current bf, and if not, she almost certainly outweighs him. My bf is not all that much taller and heavier than I am, and is overall kinda built like me. For me, compatibility is key, especially since it's probably the hardest thing to find.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 11:55 pm

solinoure, I think that's an interesting correlation of insecurity... and being the same height (and of broad build), I've encountered the same sort of behavior in some people. It astounds me to suddenly be a target out of the blue... but I've grown to understand that I have to be aware of the proportions in how I express and interact.

And I hate rental cars. Hate hate hate hate hate.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2009, 1:22 am

I hit my head a lot on these older houses built before ~1950. Some of these entryways or doors have a 6'6" clearance. I have hit my head a few times from a celing fan.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 1:55 am

i am 5'2" in shoes..on a good day..

I used to sorta have a short guy fetish, where I would think a guy was attractive partially because he was short.

Personality and basic compatibility are more important than height.

There is someone out there for most people...If there were any preconception that no guy would be willing to date a short chubby socially dysfunctional woman-child I have surely proven it wrong...a few times over...

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2009, 1:57 am

Height matters, they write songs about it, being slightly below average height will count against you, but it's not crippling. It helps if you meet people in an environment where one or more of you will be sitting, that way they'll have made their first impression without the bias of height. After the first impression is made it really doesn't seem to matter much at all.

Oh and an interesting point I noticed was in dating profiles 95% of women state the minimum height their willing to go for as 5'8. Just one of those things.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 2:57 am

Being tall doesn't guarantee you a gf, trust me. I'm 6'2" and I've been single for 2 years.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 4:33 am

solinoure wrote:

You short people get mad and feel that you have to make up for this percieved disadvantage. You get agressive with us big people - you verbally abuse us and humiliate us because we are tall. We are tall and you take advantage of us, because you know we can't fight you. Even if the little guy starts the fight, the big guy gets arrested. The big guy is looked down on for beating up on the short guy if he wins the fight, and if he loses, then he is double the loser. Its a dirty trick and you should be ashamed of it.

I'm going to stop now - this is one of my peaves and I don't wanna breeak any forum rules...

Whoa! we are your nightmare. :P

I've never get mad and felt that I had to be aggressive toward big people to make up for something , nor I know any short or middle-sized guy who's like that. And when a big guy beats a short guy, he's not usually looked down, true for the double loser tho.

Almost every Aspie was been bullied at school , you tall aspies are assuming that you were being bullied because of your tallness while it's not, do other tall guys have this problem too? I don't think so.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 4:39 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
It's all in your head , I can assure you. You are very tall, most people are smaller than you. But it's you who imagines that those are challenging you because of your tall height , who's the one with height complexity now? all of them or ..you?
I suppose it could be something regional, but my friend has the same problem. It isn't as if people go around randomly trying to start s**t with 'em in the street, but at places where people are trying to impress others, night clubs for instance, he's had people try to pick fights. He's lucky in that he's fairly cautious and passive as long as he can be. He's also built like a brick wall (more or less the same frame as a NFL linebacker) and at 6'3", he doesn't need to do much to end fights, but it's still something he's conscious of. No reason to get shot or stabbed because some prick has an attitude.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 5:55 am

^^ night clubs are full of bullies and jerks of all sizes, they aren't a good representative sample of population...

Even I got picked on several times by guys of different sizes in night clubs , should I say that the taller picked me on because I am shorter than him?

That doesn't make sense.

Besides, a short guy usually would avoid to mess up with a taller guy because he would most probably got beaten up. Why putting himself in such risk?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 8:46 am

My mom's very short and she uses the excuse that people aren't nice to her for the simple fact that she's short...which bs. I kid you not!! :lol:

It gets annoying and embarassing to be shopping with her. She gets an attitude with people very quickly and all because in her perception it's her height!!

I'm 5/3 and know better than that. I guess it depends on how bad that person's inferiority complex is. It may not always be height, it could be many things like baldness, fatness, old age....those old haggard people really scare me!

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:29 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
^^ night clubs are full of bullies and jerks of all sizes, they aren't a good representative sample of population...

Even I got picked on several times by guys of different sizes in night clubs , should I say that the taller picked me on because I am shorter than him?

That doesn't make sense.

Besides, a short guy usually would avoid to mess up with a taller guy because he would most probably got beaten up. Why putting himself in such risk?

You're using your personal rationalization to explain the actions of all people; not effective or accurate. Same as anyone tall saying that -all- shorter people have insecurities, there is no accuracy in blanket statements. Yes - those I know who share my stature but not my condition are also affected by the problem. While it may not make sense to you, LPP... this is something we experience.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2009, 9:42 am

makuranososhi wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

That doesn't make sense.

You're using your personal rationalization to explain the actions of all people; not effective or accurate. Same as anyone tall saying that -all- shorter people have insecurities, there is no accuracy in blanket statements. Yes - those I know who share my stature but not my condition are also affected by the problem. While it may not make sense to you, LPP... this is something we experience.

M.

but that why you are doing and that what solinoure was doing (note that he said "you short people") so you are talking about all short people or short people in general.

And no , I ma not using only my personal rationalization but also my personal observation and memory, I do not recall any single short guy who only picks on taller people.

Besides, as Hector worded it , if a short guy picks you on then it's Napoleon complex and if a taller guy pick you on , he means it. Are all your bullies were short?