Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Cale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2009, 7:02 pm

My 27 year old son has just been diagnosed with Aspie. He is looking for a room-mate in southern california - orange county. He has graduated UCI and needs to commune with other Aspies. Any help would be much appreciated.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Apr 2009, 7:30 pm

im also looking for a roomate thats aspergers. im 28 and live in flagstaff, arizona. you should be able to find atleast one autistic person in socal. anyways goodluck :)

Cale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2009, 9:57 pm

When looking for a room-mate what do you tell the room-mate about aspie?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:16 pm

Cale wrote:
When looking for a room-mate what do you tell the room-mate about aspie?

To be successful? Be honest, although how you present the information will probably have an effect on how they handle the information. There are unique needs for those on the spectrum, as I'm sure you well know - it isn't fair to ask someone to live with them and not give them adequate awareness or things are doomed to fail and make both parties miserable. In that you are seeking the roommate, I am not sure what sort of arrangement you are seeking for him. Also not sure what is meant by "commune" - could you clarify?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:24 pm

wow, are you saying all my relationships and all my roomates I was being dishonest by living with them and never knowing I was autistic?

Merle

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:31 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
wow, are you saying all my relationships and all my roomates I was being dishonest by living with them and never knowing I was autistic?

Merle

*thpbt* That was not my intent - if it came off that way, thank you for telling me! But if one knows that they can't cope with loud music and doesn't speak up about it, is it fair to come back once they've moved in and make it a contentious issue then? It's a matter of sharing awareness, that's all... my best comparison is my frequent reminder to my fiance that I'm a difficult and moody person to deal with at times, and I can't offer predictive information to help her know when it is coming. But I've told her this since before I learned of my son's HFA diagnosis, and my subsequent discovery of my own AS.

M.

Cale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Apr 2009, 4:44 pm

By commune I mean having a common view of the world. It looks to me that aspies see things in a particular way and NT see it another way.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 4:48 pm

Cale wrote:
By commune I mean having a common view of the world. It looks to me that aspies see things in a particular way and NT see it another way.

Does one have to live together to share a perspective or methods to cope? Sometimes another person on the spectrum can explain certain things, but are not flexible enough to share their space with another person with an ASD. Some things to consider.

M.