According to Simon Baron Cohen, I can´t have AS!

Page 5 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:32 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
outlier wrote:
That criterion is probably much more common in AS than the hating writing imaginitive stories one; a better item to include in such a list.

However, it's a bit strange they didn't have an imagination item in the CLASS list, since they have a whole set of imagination criteria in their AAA.

The whole AS thing reminds me of music - anybody trying to be completely objective about it ends up contradicting themselves.

I think that's why the Cambridge centre is attempting to make a stricter definition of AS. They have developed the AAA criteria to be more stringent than the DSM-IV, for instance. The checklist they made (used in the advert) is being mistaken for actual diagnostic criteria, which doesn't make sense to me; it's even got 10 items exactly--a round number--as befitting a checklist, not a set of diagnostic criteria.

I remember now that their set of AAA imagination criteria was preliminary, so that would explain why they didn't add such an item to the checklist in the advert. They weighted this set the least in the AAA because they were aware that many have artistic abilities, and have yet to determine its diagnostic use.

Mikhaillost wrote:
Though I have found I am COMPLETELY unable to write using someone else's character... I can't even type his name...

That's interesting. Would the typing of the name feel aversive?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:56 am

what the hell? I loved that and always will, and i'm diagnosed. Please list them all.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

^ They are on page 2.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 4:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I for one am nearly always interested in things I'm not yet good at, and I'm sure that for Aspies it's often only the difficulties of doing them in realtime with competitive people that leads to a dulling of the desire to improve. Fascinating.

Me too! My viewpoint now is that the problem isn't with me. It's with the overly 'competitive' people. Unfortunately so much of our culture, from school to work, is set up to encourage competition, even though it isn't overtly so in many cases.

Working with other people when you really are a team is a wonderful experience. Accepting each others strengths and weaknesses is a challenge, it's not easy, but can be so rewarding. I feel as if I've been largely driven to pursue mainly solitary interests due to the unpleasantness of others who *must* win at all costs.

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2014, 5:28 am

I like the tests of baron cohen. But there are not diagnosis tests. Asperger can be diagnosed only through clinical judgement. Some tests, like eyes test, phisical prediction questionnaire (PPQ), picture sequencing test, social stories questionnaire and other are useful to assess the cognitive skills after diagnosis. Some tests like autism spectrum quotient, EQ, SQ, CHAT, and others are useful for screening, but a negative result do not exclude the ASD. I don't agree the extreme male brain theory. First when I found the tests of baron cohen, I did the EQ and SQ and I scored "opposite" to Aspergers (very high EQ and low SQ). After diagnosis, I did again the tests and I got same results. At eyes test, I scored 34/36 and at PPQ, 40/40. I think I have a extreme female brain or rather an androginous pattern both phisicaly and psychologicaly.

Myers Briggs type - INFP
My brother has classic autism; I am not native English speaker;
Autism spectrum is not disorder, is neurodiversity, talent and originality!

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 7:17 am

The dead should not be woken. :P

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 12:21 pm

Can you post the whole list of 10? I am curious how wel any of us fit the others? I loved creative writting as a kid and I was very inmaganitive

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 12:34 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
Can you post the whole list of 10? I am curious how wel any of us fit the others? I loved creative writting as a kid and I was very inmaganitive

This is a necromantic thread. In other words you are trying to contact someone who posted something 5 years ago. So don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. Maybe a Medium could help?

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 6:39 pm

Sort of saddening seeing all those Aspies not posting any more.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

I don't think that's true...I love imagining things. Like you, it was one of my favourite things too. I would always right long, crazy stories. Sometimes they were even my special interest. I also like imaginative play. I did play the autistic-y way, but also enjoyed being a pirate or dragon-slayer when playing with my little sister xD

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 12:32 am

Gawd, its a regular Séance. Might as well dig out the Ouija.