Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2009, 5:35 am

Hi everyone I'm new here! I saw a documentry about Asperger's on TV, and I've been wondering whether I have it. It might run in my family, because my twin cousins are Aspies and my uncle seems to have traits. I'm quite socially awkward and shy, and I'm not sure what to say when I try and talk to people, especially strangers. I don't like talking on phones, and I have trouble when people ask me: "how are you?" (I usually don't reply). I've had many people say to me "smile" and "you need to talk more" and "you're so serious all the time". I don't move my hands when I talk (I think it looks silly), I tend to speak in a monotone voice, and my Dad says I have a stiff posture in front of people. I find it hard to feel sad when a relative is sick or has died, and I can't cry at funerals. I do try to be nice to people, and it does work because I've found a group of friends who say I'm a caring person, but in primary school I ended up becoming a loner because I took what people said seriously, and I hit my friend because of that. I am an artistic type, but I'm not extroverted like most artists seem to be. I also have trouble watching movies because I try to work out how they made it, and I picked on Star Wars because of the noise in space and stuff. I also pick up on spelling and grammar mistakes (which annoys my mother). I've had many obessions throughout my life (birds, music, art, etc.) even when I was a little kid, and people have often noticed this. I'm not a Mathematical genius (I've got dyscalculia), but I LOVE computers and programming.
Sorry I wrote so much!

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2009, 5:48 am

GreenGrrl wrote:
Hi everyone I'm new here! I saw a documentry about Asperger's on TV,

Welcome.

Which one did you watch? This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAfWfsop1e0

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 5:49 am

Sounds like you may have AS.
I'm not very good at math too but how can you have dyscalculia and be good at programming?
Also, many artists are introverted, at least the painter, writer, photographer kind.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 7:11 am

Not a diagnostician myself with Aspie, but there is certainly some in what you say that shows you have certain aspie characteristics. I was undiagnosed when I firt came here and the more i read and found out the more certain I was.. until I got my DX that is.

Apart from that, Aspies make excellent artists. Don't know what dyscalculia, dracula's cousin maybe?, but being good at programming is definitely a handy skill to have.

Either way, if you have asperger's or not everyone is welcome here. At the very least you'll be a more informed person about the lovely continuum that is the human species if you end up finding you don't have it. And if you do, well... the same.

Welcome anyhow.

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2009, 11:26 am

You do have some aspie traits, but you may never know for sure unless you get a professional diagnoses done. If you want to be extra-sure, get three diagnoses from three different psychiatrist. Whether you have it or not, you certainly seem to be an introverted soul.

Also, I've noticed and met more introverted artist than extroverted ones.