Central Auditory Processing Disorders

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2006, 9:15 pm

I think this may have contributed to my being fired from my job. My supervisor, whenever I asked for details about information I needed for a customer I was assisting over the phone, would say, "Didn't you hear me say..." whatever it was she taught in training class. And I could never remember exactly what was said due to her talking very fast and then not being able to absorb all she was teaching.

I was afraid many times to ask the trainer to go over it again in class as I would've been looked at as not paying attention or worse, being incompetant since my position as a temp worker was tenuous. Even when I did, it was a two week class that was normally taught in six and was cut short due to deadlines. So it was impossible to absorb so much information in a protracted period of time. What's worse, whenever we asked a customer to repeat what they said while on a call, we were docked points off our quality score.

Since I was a temp employee and could be let go at will without legal ramifications, they didn't think they needed to make any extra consessions for me to catch on. So they fired me even though my performance would've surpassed seasoned employees if given enough time.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2006, 5:05 pm

I hate when people go into long expalainatoins in directions I ussally lose it after the second bit of so I just ask if its on the map[I love maps] give me the address but they want to go into these long explations and get mad if you cut them off so I end up pretending to listen and not remembering a word after the second bit of info I cant ussaly write it down as fast as they go

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 9:30 am

parts wrote:
I hate when people go into long expalainatoins in directions I ussally lose it after the second bit of so I just ask if its on the map[I love maps] give me the address but they want to go into these long explations and get mad if you cut them off so I end up pretending to listen and not remembering a word after the second bit of info I cant ussaly write it down as fast as they go

Yeah, I always hate that when people are just telling me the turns to make and I have to stop them (sometimes they get on a real roll) and say "Hold on... Could you just draw me a map? 'Cause I'm not gonna remember any of this." And then they look hurt for a second. Or they'll sometimes even contradict me and say "Naw, it's really simple, you don't need a map," and I'll have to stop them again as they start to rattle on and say "No, I really do." :roll:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2006, 10:21 am

:D sammy thanks for great info on this, I know my daughter has APD and so does her boyfriend, but getting my son and husband to understand this is very hard. They say things like "You should listen." and they make noises like talking while She and Adam are trying to talk to eachother or someone else. Also watching films can be very hard for them, actors mumble words so the sound goes up and the video is replayed. It is very hard for them. :cry: