Is it possible to get rid of AS just for a couple of hours?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 5:01 pm

Alcohol is one thing that helped me become more outgoing and more comfortable around people. However, are there other ways that don't involve killing brain cells? Because it seems that no matter how hard I try, it is still visible to others because it's so difficult to control. So how do you get rid of your AS personality on important social occasions, such as a meeting or an interview?

Rordiway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2009, 5:12 pm

In objective, specific, social encounters I find it best to pretend. Play a role like you are in a play or a movie. There are all sorts of websites filled with the do's and do not's of an interview. Once you read the information, pick what you like and play the character. It is much less intimidating than thinking about the social situation from a first person perspective. Another tip is to be prepared. Gather as much information as you can about whatever meeting you are going to. The more you know, the less awkward you will come off. Finally learn to deflect. Find ways to direct the conversation to things you are comfortable talking about. I never do well talking about myself or creating small talk, but I can talk about a specific task or item that I have been given time to think about. Play to your own strengths.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Apr 2009, 6:15 pm

I wish I could tolerate alcohol, and that it would help me lighten up. Unfortunately, I have inherited the Asian gene that predisposes me to a severe reaction to alcohol- flushing of skin, vomiting, rash.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 6:36 pm

I just deliberately be completely formal, and only talk when necessary.

ThisisjusthowItalk
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2009, 6:37 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Alcohol is one thing that helped me become more outgoing and more comfortable around people.
At risk of being flamed and recommended for a quick lynching, yes, alcohol CAN be an effective tool for this purpose if used responsibly. Unfortunately, alcoholism does run in some families. It wouldn't mean that anything is WRONG with your genes; in fact, some people who have these genes can use the SAME impulses that drive them into this behavior to fuel unparallelled creative energy. It just means that they would wisely regard all forms of alcohol as if it were refined arsenic. On the other hand, responsible, social drinking is something that I tentatively support for people who have already proven that they are mature and responsible enough to exercise self-control.

Quote:
However, are there other ways that don't involve killing brain cells?
In fact, alcohol can have neuroprotective effects. Because it acts indirectly as a mild opiate, it can guard key parts of your brain against hyperstimulation. Controlled studies have demonstrated that it can even delay the onset of old-age dementia. HOWEVER, the same exact studies have also shown that excessive drinking can have the opposite effect, and overindulgence HAS been found to increase your risk of losing your mind when you get older.

Quote:
Because it seems that no matter how hard I try, it is still visible to others because it's so difficult to control. So how do you get rid of your AS personality on important social occasions, such as a meeting or an interview?
I recommend smoking cigarettes. It helped me a lot. In fact, I've found that you can't trust people who either don't smoke or don't look you in the eye when they shake your hand. Now I'm going to quickly duck and hide myself somewhere because there is an angry mob nearby waiting to pelt me with spoiled vegetables and fruit, and I think I see a guy in back holding a noose. Help.

More seriously, though, I have found that you can turn it off for brief periods if you like really really practice at it. Practice at smiling at people, and practice at making eye contact. Practice at going up to people and making introductions, just for the sake of practicing. Remember, the kind of people who would even look at you funny for it probably have worse social skills than you do, and they should be pitied.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2009, 8:01 pm

MathGirl wrote:
ways that don't involve killing brain cells? Because it seems that no matter how hard I try, it is still visible to others because it's so difficult to control. So how do you get rid of your AS personality on important social occasions, such as a meeting or an interview?

As a woman, I encourage you to watch the movie Contact and see if you associate with the character Jodie Foster plays.

I think for those who go undiagnosed until age 30 or 45, which seems more and more common group that is getting attention - you can for sure fake it. Otherwise how would they have gone undiagnosed?

But I also am starting to think that faking it puts wear and tear on the brain that often causes meltdowns or shutdowns and such days or weeks later. For some Aspies, it can build up (brain chemicals?). I am not the only one with this theory, I have found a reference to it here under the section of CAUSES:

http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com ... tdown.html

That page is authored by a 39 year old man, same age as I am.

Last edited by TobyZ on 22 Apr 2009, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Apr 2009, 8:55 pm

getcha flask on. clear liquid, preferbly vodka in a water bottle

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Alcohol is one thing that helped me become more outgoing and more comfortable around people. However, are there other ways that don't involve killing brain cells? Because it seems that no matter how hard I try, it is still visible to others because it's so difficult to control. So how do you get rid of your AS personality on important social occasions, such as a meeting or an interview?

Maybe it is not AS then.
If so, medication that raises serotonin may help.

AS is hard-wired.
It would be as if alcohol cured red-green color blindness for a couple hours.

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2009, 10:18 pm

Rordiway wrote:
In objective, specific, social encounters I find it best to pretend. Play a role like you are in a play or a movie. There are all sorts of websites filled with the do's and do not's of an interview. Once you read the information, pick what you like and play the character. It is much less intimidating than thinking about the social situation from a first person perspective. Another tip is to be prepared. Gather as much information as you can about whatever meeting you are going to. The more you know, the less awkward you will come off. Finally learn to deflect. Find ways to direct the conversation to things you are comfortable talking about. I never do well talking about myself or creating small talk, but I can talk about a specific task or item that I have been given time to think about. Play to your own strengths.

Great idea.
I'll try it next time....if there is a next time! :D

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:24 pm

Jamin wrote:
Maybe it is not AS then.

AS is hard-wired.

Does taking melatonin increase serotonin?
And no, it's definitely AS. As a child, I've had all symptoms of AS.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

23 Apr 2009, 8:52 am

Jamin wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

Maybe it is not AS then.

AS is hard-wired.

I'm a 39 year old male, and last year a couple times I commented to my wife how rarely I have headaches and hangovers. With recent social shutdown situations, I actually felt BETTER the next morning after drinking. Not to say drinking always left me feeling good. I would get queasy and stomach problems if I drink too much... and that didn't feel good. But there was this mid-point of having enough to drink (about 5 drinks in 3 to 4 hours for me) that the next day my head seemed clearer. And again, I almost never get headaches. I get what I sometimes feel like 'skull pressure'. But it is regardless of drinking... I guess my form of a headache.

Your comment about it being hard-wired had me doing some research in the past 18 hours. I think you may find this VERY INTERESTING how it discusses a fever providing short-term relief of AS! http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/04/02 ... /5122.html

Jamin, do you still think hard-wired is so hard-wired that chemicals or catalysts (heat) can't change it for a temporary basis? Fever kills brain cells like MathGirl suggests, so I don't recommend it either :) I suspect many of the meds that doctors prescribe do similar long-term damage that fever or alcohol would do. Maybe after "cells are killed" there is some chemical (drug) that is released?

P.S. I do not drink like that on a regular basis, but there was a period where I did that about twice a week for a few months.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:58 am

The first member of the angry mob has arrived, lol

ThisisjusthowItalk, are you joking? How could non-smokers not be trusted? If anything, I'd figure it would be the opposite. Us non-smokers are usually more intelligent and less bothered by the stupid peer pressures that make people give themselves cancer in the first place. From where I come from, smokers are usually more depressed and have problems in their lives so they want to hurt themselves. I could never recommend smoking to anyone unless they want to hurt themselves and make themselves more physically unappealing.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:29 am

you dont have to get drunk though. A certain level most people call 'slightly buzzed' does the trick.

Thing is, you can't go around slightly buzzed every day as your body builds tolerance to it so it will require increased levels of alcohol to achieve the same effect.

If you're like me, who doesn't drink at all and drinking half a beer brings the happy pixies then you got your solution ;)

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2009, 10:56 am

I have a tendency to drink wine for relaxation purposes in the evening, because that's when my mind really starts racing. I'm trying to make sure I don't get up to more than 2 glasses though, and I never get drunk or even fuzzy. Mainly because I have kids, but also because I actually feel bad when I get tipsy nowadays.

I wouldn't recommend drinking before a job interview though, they'll smell it on you. I'd go with playing the part, NT's do that too. Nobody's really themselves during a job interview, so it won't matter if they can tell that you're kind of pretending...

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 11:38 am

If I'm making a speech, or it is a very formal conversation, like a debate or something, I can fairly good actually. But informal everyday conversations just seem too hard.