I am enrolling my child in a Tae Kwon Do course

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2009, 12:55 pm

We went to the free trial lesson, and they (my older 2) LOVED it. When we first got there it was really loud because there was a large class getting ready to leave and my oldest said that he changed his mind, and no longer wanted to try. I reasoned with him a little and told him that his class would be smaller and they were only that loud and it was crowded because they were trying to go out while we were trying to go in. (It was a more advanced class of about 30 kids). Their beginner's class was 9 children and once they got started loved it.

I did the one free trial, and I have told them that we are going to attend the 3 week (paid) trial course and at the END of the course they can tell me if they want to continue.

I had told them, (a day or so before that we were going to the trial) that the Master had 10 gold medals. The 9 year old wanted to know what they were for, so I told him that as soon as his homework was finished we would find out exactly for what. Well, after his homework was finished the day before he forgot and started playing a game with his brother. Right before we leave to go to the class he up and starts worrying/gets really anxious and states that he no longer wants to go. ME: "but why?" Him: "I just don't know what his gold medals are for!" Easily solved and off we went. He was almost in tears, and I was like... well lets look right quick.

Anyway, they loved it. I'm thinking that this will be a really good thing for them (especially the oldest (AS; ADHD; OCD tendencies; anxiety). Yes, I wrote down all this on his form. One of the reasons to check off of "why I want to enroll" was for ADHD. I am going to have to let them know that he only has one volume unless he concentrates REALLY hard. They expect them to be loud with their answers and he just doesn't understand that he isn't as loud as the other people in the group. I also forgot to mention that my other child has hearing issues, but I don't know that's going to be an issue because they are all expected to be really loud. haha

The Master seems to be really great with kids as well.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 3:33 pm

Hope it works out. It is such a joy when we find things that make our kids happy.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 6:27 pm

That's really cool.

I wish I had started martial arts at an early age, rather than adulthood.

It has taken me a long time to learn a little, but I don't mind that anymore. I like my club and slowly got used to it, and the apprehension I got before went away. It is part of my routine now. It is weird because they are just about to start a beginner’s class on Tuesdays at a different venue. They told me I could come for free on Tuesdays, and help out teaching the beginners. It is a great opportunity good way for me to reinforce what I know and I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise. Still we'll see how it goes. I would have run a mile if I had to do something like that earlier, but I am more comfortable just talking about it now, and it is a fixed subject I don't have to do small talk with them.

Wing Chun is not a bad martial art for ASD people, as it suits small groupings. I would recommend it for 14+ years.

Laura12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2009, 8:40 pm

My son started mixed martial arts 2 years ago. The difference in his coordination, focus, strength and overall sense of self is amazing. He is much more confident and talkative. It is very expensive, but a worthwhile investment if you can find the right teacher/class.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:05 am

The right teacher and class makes a huge difference. My son tried it about two years ago and hated it. I think it was because the woman teaching it was just plain rude. He was not as agile as the other kids and often had difficult coordinating movements. She gave no mercy. Yes, Nate was only almost four years old and she showed very little patience. She ruined it for him. Perhaps we will try it again someday but only if he wants to.

I know two other kids who are on the spectrum and they LOVE it. Absolutely thrive on it. One parent told me that her child's self esteem is so much better since he started Ta.