Is anyone else Worried about "Swine Flue"?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:00 am

I'm terrified to the point of tears. It hasn't caused death outside of Mexico though but "in Mexico" it has killed the young and healthy. The news is saying that it got it's start with a 4-year old close to a pig farm. If I die, there's not much I could do about it but I can't go on without my husband and kids. My eldest son just came back from Iraq alive. I "can't" lose him in this way. I don't think I could take it. The thought that the SARZ virus was controlled gives me some relief but I worry about illegal aliens coming over the border from Mexico to the U.S. They are too poor and freightened to seek medical help if they turn out to be sick. They'll go in to hiding and spread it. Now, on a different news broadcast, it was said that this strain of swine flu which visited before in 1976 is different in that it is a combo of bird/swine/human. (?) I didn't hear that bit of news again. But when I heard that, it made me think of human experimentation with germ warfare. Do you know what I mean? Where it kills at it's hub of attack and then mutates to where nobody else dies who is further away. They'll get sick but they won't die. When I first heard the news report, I thought it was from a sci-fi show or something until my son told me me it was for real. My stomach sunk because I thought I would be dupped by some horrow TV show like I was once before...but it was...real. I'm crying now just thinking about it. When SARZ was in China, I was less afraid maybe because China seemed so far away and Mexico is close to the U.S. Not so long ago, the actual "plague" was in India and it was presumably contained and never shown on the news again.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:10 am

kxmode wrote:
I'm not. I don't watch the pollution you would call News.

I agree but how ya gonna' get your news? Did you ever notice how things get a lot of attention and then just die off? There are some people who think that just because AIDS is not so much on televised news as often as before, that it went away.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 1:58 pm

I'm interested to see what happens with this virus. There was some worry because a past similar virus, I think 1918 but not sure, the people that were dying mostly were healthy young adults, and it wasn't the virus that killed them, it was their strong immune response which started attacking their healthy tissue lungs etc, and they died of respiritory failure.

However, judging by the evidence in the UK so far, the people that have it are young and healthy and seem to be recoving fine. I think there's alot of scare mongering, but I doubt the WHO wouljd voice concern if they didn't think this could go pandemic. It all depends how quickly (if at all) this thing mutates, and if it mutates for the worse rather that the better.

I hope I'm going to be able to go to my cosplay con in a month. thousands of ppl in one place with possible swine flu doesn't sound too great lol. People in UK seem fine though so not too worried.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:29 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
P.S. the U.S. is stockpiling Tami Flu - a useless drug that does not anything. It's supposed to fight the flu virus and prevent you from getting sick, but by the time you get the symptoms, it's too late for the drug to have any effect. I recommend that all of us take one daily multivitamin a day.
would u recommend to order it from net? from company that makes it ?

TingTing
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2009, 7:09 pm

I wouldn't worry anymore about the swine flu than anything other disease. It is getting alot of media hype but taking basic precautions (as you would not to contract the flu during flu season) will keep you safe. Worry will only cause you emtional distress!

I think the Mexican goverment has been spewing lies along with alot of the global news over the whole "swine flu epidemic".

MRSA=scarier than swine flu.

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2009, 7:35 pm

swine flu is nothing to worry about. be concerned but do not worry.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Apr 2009, 8:43 pm

somewhat, im also kind of sick right now, but its more of a regular flu's syptoms.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

28 Apr 2009, 11:11 pm

iMark wrote:

With the amount of deaths that it has caused in Mexico, I can't help but worry. Just because it doesn't seem as serious as that globally at the moment it doesn't mean it wont eventually be that way.
AAHHH!! ! I know we all have to die sooner or later but I'd rather not die a horrible death from a virus.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:44 pm

Bah, come to admit it, I happen not to be worried. The news has a tendency to exaggerate things to cause persons to watch it to increase ratings anyway, at least in my opinion. Actually, I have not heard much of it, so it must not be a major concern. A bigger thing to worry about it the IPv4 address exhaustion. And the lack of things that companies are doing to integrate IPv6. Or the lack of knowledge that tells us that we are quickly running out of 32-bit IP addresses. Ahem. Anyway, this shall pass too, and one should not worry or panic, those decrease your heath by means of inducing stress. Just take precautions, and if it is detected in your area, take necessary actions. Thanks to modern health technology, this should not be too much of a worry. Precautions to take are cooking your pork all the way through or instead of 'Rare' 'Medium' 'Well Done' you should select 'Slightly Charred' or 'Burnt'. Or, better yet, eat an alternative meat, like turkey. And avoid petting zoos for a while. Am I worried? No. Ever so slightly concerned? Yes.

But, that is only my words, of my typing. Take it as you will, leave it if you wish.

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2009, 11:01 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
iMark wrote:

With the amount of deaths that it has caused in Mexico, I can't help but worry.

Have you ever gave question as to why they were dieing, besides just having the swine flu? The nation of mexico is poor, with less than adequate healthcare. They were probably dieing because they have nothing to fight against it, besides their individual immune systems.

Here in America, we have pissloads of multivitamins, over the counter drugs, good docotors, and all of that Jazz. We have an over all clean environment too, compared to mexico.

The Swine flu is nothing to worry about. If you get it, see a doctor, keep yourself fit, drink lots of water, and stay away from old people and children, and you'll be fine.

"All things new are fought against, even thought their time has come. Stretch and reach to conscious mind. Seek defeat in those who fear."
- Henrik Ohlsson

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 11:42 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Followthereaper90 wrote:
is there any shots for it? even finland is hell lot away im not taking any chances these news always get me stuttering :(

Awwww, you'll be find!

Sometimes the media exaggerates these things so I wouldn't take it too serious.

Just do what LS2 listed, you're hygiene is one thing you should really worry about.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 7:27 am

meh, I'm not worried about it

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 7:54 am

no... I'm not worried in fact I find it amusing seeing people worry about nothing in paricular, and of course the media is as fear moungering as ever.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2009, 8:10 am

If you are worried about pig flu, then you should be absolutely mortified about the many other causes of death from disease in your city which are far more common then the 9 in the world from swine flu so far.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 10:49 am

I'm not really WORRIED, but I want to take precautions.

This whole thing has actually got me interested in pandemics, LOL...

y es como un semestre"