Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JameAlec
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2009, 8:51 pm

Is anyone else here a science (of any type!) major? What kind of work do you want to go into, if you're not already there?

I'm a biotech major. I spent a while interning at a poultry diagnostic lab and really loved it.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm

I have a bachelors in geology and spent four years in graduate school as a PhD candidate. I didn't finish, however (due to a family crisis). I will be returning to graduate school in geography in the fall.

I have never held a job in my field, however.......

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 1:39 am

Started out with a microbiology major, but I've grown a bit disillusioned with the field of biology. The current plan is to triple major in math, history, and computer science, with a minor in biology.

As far as what work I want to do... I'm considering working in bioinformatics in some capacity (which a math/computer background will help with). Or else, if I end up liking the computer science side a lot, I might want to go into cryptography and security. But that's still very much up in the air at this point.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 4:42 pm

Chemical Engineering major here, already have my Bachelors, working on my Masters now with a focus on Polymers and Composites. Right now I'm training to be the new Lab Manager for the Polymers labs here on campus, so I'll be doing that and running some of the research projects we have going on while taking my classes. Still debating if I want to get my PhD or not.

CyndiAn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2009, 12:39 am

I am working toward a double major in particle cosmology and geoscience. I have no interest in all in biology. I am taking an environmental biology course in the fall semester because the school I am hoping to transfer too requires a semester of biology. I loved chemistry. Physics is my passion, with math following close behind it.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2009, 4:57 am

I'm a CS major, and I'm not really sure what I want to do with it.

I've had a few programming jobs, which ran the gamut from dreadful to pleasant. I rather enjoyed being a *nix sysadmin, and wouldn't mind doing that again. When I graduate, I suppose I'll probably end up doing one of those.

What I'd really like to do is research: probably into peer-to-peer protocols, anonymity, cryptography, or computer security, but that seems to require a Ph.D, and I'm not sure how good my prospects would be there.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2009, 11:22 am

I am an Archeology major and hope to work in some sort of Culture-History research (Basically, the application of the scientific method to the physical remains of human habitation.)