Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Wingmower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2009, 10:35 pm

Does anyone online have a genuine test for AS that is free? I'm male, 42 and both my doctor and therapist think I might have it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 10:40 pm

This is the test I took when I first came to WP and the exact same test I took in the clinical psychologist's office.

It's legitimate.

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Merle

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 12:58 am

You could go to the autism research centre run by SBC and get a copy of the AQ test from there http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/default.asp. The autism research centre offer these tests for research purposes only, so it might be best if you ask before you download a copy for personal use.

or go to

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 1:04 am

I like this one the best, as it's very close to the DSM-IV-TR, plus it's short (short = good).

Asperger's self-assessment test

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 12:16 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I like this one the best, as it's very close to the DSM-IV-TR, plus it's short (short = good).

Asperger's self-assessment test

and who is supposed to be my 'loved one?' I am supposed to answer these questions like I am observing myself?
I guess I don't understand.

Merle

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 12:22 am

Yeah, interesting how the link says "self-assessment test" when it is in fact to identify it in someone else...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 12:24 am

Loved one = you if no one else is there to do it for you

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 12:31 am

Still seems kind of odd, don't you think? ><

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 3:07 am

Well, it depends; it's sometimes more accurate for someone else to do the test for you, as how you think you appear isn't always how you actually appear (see: people with autism who don't think they look odd when compared to the normal population, but in reality, they are, and they realize such when it's pointed out to them).

They updated it recently; it used to be "does you or your loved one" IIRC. Probably some legal mumbo to avoid the feared lawsuits.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2009, 7:35 am

i can do better (we all can)...

so you have trouble reading the time?
are you dyslexic?
numerically dyslexic?
have you practised smiling?
read machiavelli, dale carnegie, and books on body language to understand others better?
do you feel troubled if you are around others too much- prefer to be alone? make you tired?
do you think laterally?
do you walk fast?
have people commented on your 'odd' gait, stance, seated position, facial expression?
do you feel as though other people are speaking a foreign language?
do you have adult tantrums (aka meltdowns)
avoid eye contact?
have good physical stamina (have nejoyed and found to be easy- long distance running, swimming, walking)?
like lists?
hate change?
are you able to get absorbed in a single task for hours or days on end to the detriment of everything else?
relate better to animals and things than people?
ultra tidy or ultra messy?
have ocds?
have extreme sensativity to sensory stimuli?
dislike being hugged?
find dificulty in speaking sometimes?
experiance brain fogs/ wooly thinking.
research things you are interested in A LOT?
but poor at anylsis?
etc.

a lot of the questions that come up in tests require such a mass of objective self knowledge, its hard to give a 'correct' answer.

i dont think i have trouble relating to other poeple, i just find most people- of no consequence- dull- off my radar... but this appears to be abnormal.
its like old people complaining young people mumble- they are deaf, just dont realise it. that's what as is like- you tihnk you're normal, and explain things as above- i find most people boring- but- so they tell us- WE are the ones with the problem.
its also worth bearing in mind you may have unconsciously hidden aspects from others- i only realised a couple of years ago that i hated to be around other people too much, but covered it up so well taht noone ever guessed.

im sure someone else can say this a gajillion times better than i, as my brain is really thick and wooly....
anyway, as a.s. people always say, the social side of things, though most aparent to nts, is the least troubling.