For anyone who is having overheating problems

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 1:30 pm

With their 360, try this. Reminder this ONLY for people who are not covered by MS warranty. Remove the casing. Stand the console so it is vertical. Take a small tower fan(about the same height of the console. Put the fan so it is where the bottom of the console is about an inch away. This will work. I played Mid Night Club LA for 4 hours and not one freeze. I also played Fallout 3 for 3 hours and not one freeze. Before I did this, it so hot it would burn you. Now the metal bottom part is merely warm to the touch. A little extreme perhaps, but it is better than the alternative.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 4:30 pm

Oh, come ON, I KNOW SOMEONE has SOMETHING to say...

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 6:55 pm

This sounds like it ought to work :-)

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 7:35 pm

cyberscan wrote:
This sounds like it ought to work :-)

I tested it again today. 10 hours of Fallout 3 and nothing happened, well, except for the DLC error I got.

Elfnote
Raven
Raven

01 May 2009, 12:43 pm

I haven't done exactly the same thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if it works. I have my wii softmoded and all my games backed up to an external hard drive so I can get better load times and dont have to keep swapping disks. That drive overheats, so I took it out of its case and have a house fan on it. Works just fine, whereas if there's no fan it'll overheat within 30 minutes and my game will crash.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 3:19 pm

I love not having to worry about my game freezing up, especially Mid Night Club LA

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 2:49 am

Performed another test. Far Cry 2. I played for two hours and it worked perfectly. Before it would get hot and freeze up on the first loading screen.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:58 pm

Don't see why it wouldn't work, since poor circulation is the reason they overheat in the first place.

If you're crafty, you can find a place on the motherboard to plug the fan in and hack it into the case. Might look a little stupid, but it'd be a lot better than leaving it opened.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 2:22 am

All I know, Sabbra, is that before, it was running so hot it would burn me if I touched it. Now, I can play Far Cry 2 for hours without it freezing up on me.

mlqqeae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2009, 4:58 am

I knew consoles had serious issues..... but overheating now? :lol:

Thought this was going to be some PC related thread since it speaks of overheating.

I only have a stock cooler for my CPU so I can't do much for the overclocking side.
It reaches dangerous temps. I have no sides to my case as well.
But everything else overclocks well, GPU and RAM.

I had issues with overheating while compiling maps in "Teh Hammre" Source Engine.
It makes all 4 of my cores load to the extreme. I would have to set affinities to where it only runs on 2 or 3 cores instead.
Seriously need a new cooler for my Phenom. I mean the Temps glide from 55C to 80C rather quickly.
I do have thermal paste as well. I don't too often reach that high temp though. (just when compiling for a rather long time which is very CPU intense)
Gamewise, games aren't all that CPU intense. Not much at all. Mainly GPU intense.