Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

agitprop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2009, 10:19 pm

Has anyone heard of oxytocin being used to treat autism? It's the bonding hormone. The first time I heard about it, I immediately thought of autism and how someone with autism or asperger's would feel if they took a hormone that facilitated bonding and encouraged strong social ties.

Don't get me wrong...I actually think that Asperger's could have some strong adaptive features for the individual and confer some advantage for the overall community. I am just wondering if someone feels they would enjoy life more if they were more bonded, would this be a useful hormone?

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2009, 10:39 pm

If I have understood this correctly this hormone will among other things make you more prone to trust other people. This could have devastating effects on an autistic individual that is already naiv/gullible and easily taken advantage of due to his or her lack of social understanding. For this reason I would never try oxytocin.

agitprop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2009, 11:35 pm

Vimse wrote:
If I have understood this correctly this hormone will among other things make you more prone to trust other people. This could have devastating effects on an autistic individual that is already naiv/gullible and easily taken advantage of due to his or her lack of social understanding. For this reason I would never try oxytocin.

How much do you know about this hormone? I doubt very much it would have this effect on someone in the autistic spectrum.

Grunthos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 May 2009, 6:00 am

UUrrr Ummm Guys,

This is the hormone that gives post orgasmic "high" :oops:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 7:20 am

I want :lol:

nightbender