Why do people treat people with physical disabilities as if

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2009, 6:49 pm

Why do people treat people with physical disabilities as if they are also mentally disabled?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 May 2009, 6:53 pm

i dont know, cp is a good example though, i worked with a guy with cp and he was normal mentally. i smoked pot with him :lol:

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 8:56 pm

My guess is that people simply don't know how extensive the person's disabilities are.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 8:59 pm

well if u r in a wheelchair for example and you dress in a suit - like you are going to work - then people are going to treat you more seriously than if you are just wearing sweat pants and a hoody.

people treat each other like crap for many reasons.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 9:54 am

I don`t know. It could be that they are uncertain how to act towards them and so seem condescending. Or maybe they are trying (too hard) to be helpful and/or understanding and comes off as treating them like someone inferior without intending to. Or maybe they really think they are mentally handicapped. People with CP is a good example of someone who can sound not quite right.

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2009, 3:50 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Is there an official or commonly understood way of treating the mentally disabled? Some replies confuse me more so. How can "treating physically disabled people as if they are also mentally handicapped" be the same as "treating them like someone inferior", "treating people like crap", or "seeming condescending"? A mental disability doesn't make someone "crap" or inferior to others, and it doesn't mean they should be treated in a condescending way. Am I missing something here? I find these statements quite offensiveand confusing. I didn't expect to see them on this kind of website.

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2009, 3:51 pm

Sorry about this. It was originally an accidental duplicate of the one above, but I can't delete it.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 8:53 pm

I don't patronise or pity them at all not do I patronise non allistic people on the NT spectrum, those with a learning disability on the NT spectrum and never have

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Because they're the ones who really are mentally disabled, if you know what I mean. Also not everyone who is physically disabled uses a wheelchair or something else so obvious, which makes some people think they aren't and when they use a handicapped parking space they say horrible things to them. It's disgusting.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 5:45 pm

Well, it's like a interesting thing I never really meet people people with Handicap stickers or what ever aren't nessicarly have physical disabilities, they may have some thing else. Or just be Riding in a wheelchair for the hell of it :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 4:34 pm

Because some people who treat disabled people like dirt think they can get away with being ableist.